PDA

View Full Version : Really Stepmom?

MamaMolly
09-26-2011, 10:43 AM
You want to bring your rehabbing druggie, sometimes suicidal 20something son I've met ONCE in the 6 years you've been married to my dad, AND his girlfriend we've never met for 10 days over Thanksgiving? You are aware he's a smoker, right? And we have small children?

Not to mention we just moved and have literally no bed for them. Not even a sofa.

Guess what? Mama bear says no. They are not squatting in my house for 10 days, sneaking smokes in my yard and leaving their filthy butts in my garden for me to have to snatch from Dolly's fingers. They want a free trip to the beach? Not happening here.

They want to play grownup? Fine. Pony up the cash for a hotel. That's being a grownup.

snowbunnies300
09-26-2011, 11:52 AM
I am sorry that she is pushing you into allowing her to bring her son and his girl friend. She should ask if it is ok and then let it go. It is not her place to demand space for them.

I do understand why she asked. I have a very dear nephew who struggles with addiction, depression, bi-polar, smokes (though is good with his butts) and recently wanted to end it all. It is hard to love an addict. He is out of rehab and is working through life without drugs. Some days are better than others. Your Step Mom may want to keep him near as she is worried about him. Still you have to do what is right for you. But I understand both sides more than I wish I did.

Clarity
09-26-2011, 11:54 AM
They want to play grownup? Fine. Pony up the cash for a hotel. That's being a grownup.

:bighand:

Melanie
09-26-2011, 01:53 PM
Good for you! I think 'welcoming' them for dinner, whilest they stay elsewhere, is a nice gesture.

Simon
09-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Good for you! I dealt with this issue before Dh and I were even married. We had a 1 bedroom apt and, like you, not even a bed for the person + girlfriend. My Mom was already paying to stay in a hotel and so could they or else MIL could pay for it!

gatorsmom
09-26-2011, 11:35 PM
I do understand why she asked. I have a very dear nephew who struggles with addiction, depression, bi-polar, smokes (though is good with his butts) and recently wanted to end it all. It is hard to love an addict. He is out of rehab and is working through life without drugs. Some days are better than others. Your Step Mom may want to keep him near as she is worried about him. Still you have to do what is right for you. But I understand both sides more than I wish I did.

:yeahthat: Unfortunately, I have a cousin going through heroine rehab. They live on the other side of the country and my aunt pays to fly all of them home for the holidays because if she doesn't the cousin gets depressed (home alone for the holidays) and TVs go missing to supply his habit. It's a sad situation, but in this case, Mama Molly's step mother should have her son stay for 10 days at HER house NOT someone else's house.

MamaMolly, I would have told her no also. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.