PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes I hate texting

gcc2k
09-26-2011, 11:49 AM
DH drops off DS at the babysitters in the morning. We are supposed to pay her Monday morning for the week. Unfortunately DH forgot to give her the check this morning, so he calls to remind me to pay her. I text the babysitter to tell her I will be bringing the check when I pick up DS, but I will be a little later than usual due to a meeting.

So the babysitter simply writes back. “M--- [husband’s name] goes to the bank Monday morning”

It rubs me the wrong way. In a way, she's lucky she gets paid in advance! No one I know gets paid ahead of time before they even do the work. What does she want me to do, drop everything to drive over there and give her the money? What's the point of even writing that? We made a mistake. And it's NOT true that her DH always deposits the checks Monday. Far from it. Occasionally he hasn't deposited the check until the following week!

I know our babysitter writes short, brief texts that are to the point because she doesn't have time to elaborate when she's watching a few different kids. (FWIW, she’s been watching kids in her home for 20 years.) I'm trying to keep that in mind. But I wish she had at least written, "Please remember to bring the check on Mondays since M---- goes to the bank." Then I wouldn't have gotten my hackles up. I'm trying to tell myself that is what she meant: just a gentle reminder to bring the check on Monday. But seriously, we don't have a payroll department and people make mistakes. (This is our first time in 6 months, so it’s not a recurring problem.) I just think she didn't handle it the best way. This is one reason texting just doesn't cut it.

I hate being reminded that this is just a business for our babysitter. Yes she loves kids, but bottom line she is making money and that is her first priority. I'm probably overreacting and I know this is a petty post, but it is just a reminder that my heart is broken a little bit every day DS has to be taken care of by someone else. :crying:

AshleyAnn
09-26-2011, 01:23 PM
My DD goes to a daycare center and if you havent paid by noon monday they slap you with a $30 late fee and put a big sign on your childs classroom with the amount due so everyone knows who hasnt paid. I'd love it if they'd just text me if i forgot to pay!

Octobermommy
09-26-2011, 02:07 PM
Sorry! I hate when things like that rub me the wrong way. It's not like you forget often. IMO if it was a really big deal she should have mentioned the payment to your dh during dropoff.

Melanie
09-26-2011, 02:17 PM
Sucks. Perhaps you could bring her cash and that might be more helpful to her (for groceries or something?)

I'd be tempted to snark back "funny, sometimes it takes weeks for you to deposit the check, so I had no idea. We'll be sure to be prompt next time," HOWEVER, since she is the person who cares for your child, it's probably better just to take it and deliver an apology.

elbenn
09-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Could you pay her in cash? That way you could reply that since he's already gone to the bank, you will bring her cash this week.

gcc2k
09-26-2011, 08:54 PM
When I picked up DS today there were 3 other moms at the same time picking up their kids. Fortunately with all the children being picked up at once the whole check thing just got brushed under the rug. :thumbsup:

I quickly gave her the check and apologized and while we were talking about DS' day. Hopefully she won't say anything else about it. I know it should really be a nonissue, but thanks for letting me vent!