PDA

View Full Version : Has your 2nd grader read the Percy Jackson books?

almostmom
09-26-2011, 02:23 PM
DS just finished the Harry Potter series, reading all the books over the last 5 months. Many people suggested the Percy Jackson series as a follow up, but I haven't read them, and online they suggest them for 5th grade and up. I've also heard they are a bit mature, though Harry Potter definitely got there by the end too.

Any thoughts on whether this is appropriate for a 7 year old (almost 8)? Do I need to read them with him (reading my own copy) to help explain them? I did read Harry Potter at the same time as him (I have 100 pages to go!), but I'd like to read a couple of my own books now.

Do you have other suggestions if this isn't appropriate? He was reading the Droon books before he got into Harry Potter, but he isn't picking them up now. When you've been in the middle of an intense story for 5 months, it's hard to think about switching gears!

Thank you--

spanannie
09-26-2011, 03:07 PM
Yes, my 2nd grader read both the first Percy Jackson and most of the Harry Potters. He's now in 3rd grade and just read 2nd Percy Jackson and is onto Harry Potter 7. From what I understand, Percy Jackson would not be as mature or difficult as HP. I haven't read Percy Jackson, though. My son hasn't had a problem with either HP or PJ and he reads them independently.

o_mom
09-26-2011, 03:36 PM
I read them and decided not to give them to DS1. I wouldn't prohibit him from reading them, but wasn't going to encourage them. I found the writing to be pretty bad, foremost. The stories were OK, but only because I knew the myths behind them. I think much of the humor would go over the average 7-8 yos head. Also, I found many of the topics to be a bit more than I wanted to go into with him - deadbeat dads, orphans living on the street, explaining what virgins are, etc. FTR, he has read HP 1-3.

They are not a hard read, though, so if you wanted to pre-read the first one, you would probably get a feel for them to decide.

hellokitty
09-26-2011, 03:38 PM
I think percy jackson would be more for older kids. I would suggest, "A series of unfortunate events," and my 2nd grader like the, "Monster Quest" series.

lovin2shop
09-26-2011, 03:39 PM
My DS read Percy Jackson in 2nd Grade and really, really loved the series. He's also started the new Rick Riordan Egyptian series which has 2 books so far.

I haven't really read them, so I can't help too much about the content. I intended to though, and I've read the first few chapters of The Lightening Thief. I would say it was kind of mature in that it discusses his Step Dad in a pretty bad light, and mentions him always smelling of beer, etc. It was also a little bit frightening in my opinion as he loses his Mom (temporarily I've been told). So, maybe not for the faint of heart. But, my DS was absolutely engrossed by them and the knowledge that has of Greek Mythology is really, really impressive. I think I personally would have enjoyed English much more if someone had made mythology that interesting to me, so overall I decided it was worth it.

Also, my DS has just finished the Harry Potter series, and I've been trying to discuss it with him to find out if anything bothered him in the story. But, he just loved it and seemed completely unfazed by it. I aspired to read all of that first, but let's just say he definitely beat me to it.

ellies mom
09-26-2011, 04:49 PM
My second grader loves the Percy Jackson books. I read the first series to her last year and we are about half way through the Lost Hero. She is reading The Lightening Thief to herself now. We have the Egyptian series but she hasn't gotten into that one yet.

I actually really like them also. We've spent a lot of time on Greek Mythology because of it and now we need to start comparing it to Roman Mythology. I love how the author combines the two aspects of the "Pantheon" in the second series.

But like most youth literature, it really depends on your child. And no one knows your child better than you do. I usually recommend reading them first rather than just handing them over or depending on the opinions of others. What might be great for my child might be too much for yours and vice versa.

katydid1971
09-26-2011, 04:58 PM
I don't think the Percy Jackson books are as scary or mature as the later Harry Potter books but that's JMO. I think the Series of Unfortunate Events books are a good suggestion. Also the Box Car Children might be a hit or the Choose Your Own Adventure books.

ast96
09-26-2011, 05:06 PM
My second grader read the first three HP last year in first grade. He tried The Lightning Thief this summer but told me that it was "too old" for him. I think that a second grader CAN read it, and some might love it, but the references and such are probably better enjoyed by an older kid (my oldest son fell in love with the books last year in third grade, when he was studying mythology anyway and it all dovetailed).

My second grader loves the Alvin Ho series and just finished Double Fudge by Judy Blume.

SnuggleBuggles
09-26-2011, 05:06 PM
They read it in ds1's 3rd grade class. I also agree with pp's that it isn't as scary or mature as later Harry Potter. I think there are more light hearted moments in Percy Jackson (more to do with the writing than the plot). Ds1 and I read the series together and he loved it. I'd be ok with it in 2nd grade.

Beth

Cam&Clay
09-26-2011, 05:11 PM
In my librarian opinion, Harry Potter is much more difficult and deals with more difficult topics than Percy Jackson. HP is also a much better series.

Of course, I feel that both should be read with the child in order to discuss the plot as you go along.

lovin2shop
09-26-2011, 05:18 PM
In my librarian opinion, Harry Potter is much more difficult and deals with more difficult topics than Percy Jackson. HP is also a much better series.

Of course, I feel that both should be read with the child in order to discuss the plot as you go along.

I generally agree, but just can't seem to make it happen. My DS is a voracious reader right now and read the entire HP series in less than 2 months. Working full time and having a 3 year old that doesn't let me sleep means that I fall asleep in his books all the time. I concede that he now reads faster than me. So, I've resigned myself to looking to others for opinions!

hellokitty
09-26-2011, 05:40 PM
Has he read any Encylopedia Brown or The Great Brain series? Those were favorites of mine when I was a kid and personally, I think that they were geared more toward boys, than girls.

KCR4
09-28-2011, 01:56 PM
My 9 year old (who has since turned 10) LOVED the Gregor The Overlander Series by Suzanne Collins after finishing the HP and Percy Jackson series.

KCR4
09-28-2011, 10:57 PM
Sorry I forgot another big favorite in third grade (post HP): the Septimus Heap series (starts with the book "Magyk," if I recall correctly).
-Karen