PDA

View Full Version : What shape are you (and help what am I?)?

hillview
09-26-2011, 08:25 PM
I can't figure out my body type. Can anyone advise? I read the YLF site and still cannot figure it out ...

HELP

DrSally
09-26-2011, 08:45 PM
From your description in the other thread, aren't you an hourglass? I think I'm somewhere btwn an hourglass and a pear.

goldenpig
09-26-2011, 09:04 PM
Post some pics on YLF (front and side view) in form fitting clothes (like bike shorts and tank top). The ladies there are great at analyzing body shapes. You can delete the pics after. Everyone agreed I'm an apple.

elektra
09-26-2011, 09:05 PM
I just read the ylf definitions too. I think you and have similar body types as we mentioned before. I might be an inverted triangle with hourglass or rectangle leanings if that makes any sense at all.
My shoulders are wider than my hips and I am busty but I still have a booty. And I am like I rectangle in that I do not have much of a defined waist.
And hourglass a bit, because of the bust and booty.

(GP, are you a rectangle?) ETA, I see you are an apple! Why not a rectangle? I think of apple as being much rounder than you are.

♥ms.pacman♥
09-26-2011, 09:55 PM
i always knew i was apple-shaped (even before i had kids, and BFed). i have wide shoulders, relatively large chest, yet narrow hips and almost no butt, really skinny legs. I remember in college looking at the J Crew catalog size chart, getting out a tape measure and according to that, I had the hips of a size 2, yet the waist/bust of a size 10-12. So, finding stuff that fit was always a challenge, to say the least!

georgiegirl
09-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Pear and hourglass. The older I get, the more of a pear I become. My boobs have shrunk and my hips and butt have grown. Ugh. I have a small waist, I'm petite in the ribcage area, but I have wide hips and a juicy bottom.

TxCat
09-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Wow.

I am a rectangle. What amuses and pleasantly surprises me, is that I already follow about 70% of the tips listed for how to dress for the rectangle shape. Of course, it only took me about 10 years to figure that out.

twowhat?
09-26-2011, 10:50 PM
I am between an hourglass and a pear. I have (saggy) boobs and wide hips. It's a challenge to find clothes that fit because I think most clothes made to fit smaller sizes also assume 1) shorter height, 2) rectangle body shape, and 3) small boobs.

Despite people telling me that they wish they were as skinny as I am, I wish I were NOT and that I had more fat on me, especially on my upper body. I was constantly made fun of in grade school/high school for being so thin. My hands and arms are seriously skeletal - so much that I won't post pics of my hands on FB. DH took a great pic of the girls helping me make Christmas cookies but I can't bear to look at it because of the skeletal arm reaching across the dough. And it's so hard to find clothes that fit because of my size and height. I'm 5'6'' but I wear a 28D bra. Pants are actually a little easier because I've got more meat to my bottom half.

The hilarious thing is that it was so much easier for me to find clothes when I was pregnant - because my rib cage circumference increased by 6 inches (going from a 28D to 34DD meaning I could buy more normal-sized bras!!) and my hip circumference increased by 5 inches (went from a size 0/2 to a size 8 pants - it was awesome)!

kristenk
09-26-2011, 10:58 PM
What's the YLF site?

KrisM
09-26-2011, 11:15 PM
What's the YLF site?

Here you go
http://youlookfab.com/2006/04/18/the-body-type-%e2%80%9cbalancing-act%e2%80%9d/

I would have said apple for me, but maybe inverted? I have wide shoulders compared to my hips. But, I definitely have the extra in my stomach.

Neatfreak
09-27-2011, 12:41 AM
This is another good site for body types and dressing them:

http://www.insideoutstyleblog.com/category/body-shapes-explained/real-life-body-shapes

I'm a variant of the hourglass with a very high hip; this site calls it an "8"

http://www.insideoutstyleblog.com/2010/05/real-life-body-shapes-8.html

goldenpig
09-27-2011, 03:40 AM
(GP, are you a rectangle?) ETA, I see you are an apple! Why not a rectangle? I think of apple as being much rounder than you are.

Haha elektra, thanks for the boost! I must be doing pretty well to camouflage my tummy if you don't think I look apple-y. I'm not overweight, but I do have a relatively bigger tummy compared to the rest of me since I had the kids. I can never use those online size charts because my bust and hips will be size small/4 and my waist will be size large/8-10 by the numbers. Although I do tend to actually wear size 4-6 skirts, so I think the bulge is mostly below my waist and in the front. I remember your bikini pics and your tummy was as flat as a board so you are definitely a rectangle (I was wearing boy cut briefs in mine, which covered up the bulgy parts!)

TwinFoxes
09-27-2011, 05:55 AM
I'm a variant of the hourglass with a very high hip; this site calls it an "8"

http://www.insideoutstyleblog.com/2010/05/real-life-body-shapes-8.html

There is a new shape! And I think I'm an "8" too. But what's the difference really between an 8 and an hourglass, I read the article and couldn't tell how it was any different.

WolfpackMom
09-27-2011, 08:34 AM
Is the body shape of a 12 yr old boy an option?

I would say I am a rectangle.

wendibird22
09-27-2011, 08:45 AM
I'm definitely a pear. And being a petite pear is hard because many regular size tops hit right across the hip area and affordable, youthful/trendy petite sizes are hard to come by (I have luck at ATL).

Neatfreak
09-27-2011, 08:52 AM
There is a new shape! And I think I'm an "8" too. But what's the difference really between an 8 and an hourglass, I read the article and couldn't tell how it was any different.

Ah - this link explains the difference b/w an 8 and an hourglass (she uses the term X-shape for hourglass): http://www.insideoutstyleblog.com/2009/04/body-shapes-explained-figure-8-shape.html

hellokitty
09-27-2011, 09:03 AM
I'm an apple. I'm going to the library later on today to check out that, "sexy" book that someone mentioned on the clothes with a belly thread. Our library has 3 copies and they are all available! :)

ILoveLucy
09-27-2011, 09:06 AM
Hourglass, but right now the hourglass is too full! :)

ellies mom
09-27-2011, 01:28 PM
Interesting. It turns out that I'm an X than leans toward an A when I gain weight. The Inside-out link is probably one of the best "body shape" type websites I've seen. I really really appreciated the pictures of actual people rather than colored shapes.

TwinFoxes
09-27-2011, 02:00 PM
Ah - this link explains the difference b/w an 8 and an hourglass (she uses the term X-shape for hourglass): http://www.insideoutstyleblog.com/2009/04/body-shapes-explained-figure-8-shape.html

Hmm, looking at those pictures, I think I'm actually an X.

mctlaw
09-27-2011, 02:03 PM
Hourglass, but right now the hourglass is too full! :)

:yeahthat:

Once I am more than 5-6 lbs overweight (I am small framed, so this amount makes a big difference), the extra fat starts going to my belly, so I have to start camoflauging it like an apple shape.

crl
09-27-2011, 03:30 PM
Apparently I am an X. I have always thought of myself as more or less a pear due to my comparatively big thighs and flat chest. But my shoulders are almost exactly the same width as my thighs and I have a small waist. The basic advice for dressing an X is pretty much what I have always done so that's good I guess.

Catherine

larig
09-27-2011, 03:53 PM
I'm an hourglass with a lot of sand in the bottom--or an hourglass with pear tendencies.

ilfaith
09-27-2011, 09:24 PM
I actually like this breakdown of various body-shapes. It offers a bit more variation on the basic types (apple, pear, rectangle, hourglass and inverted triangle).

http://youlookfab.com/2007/12/12/the-body-shape-bible/

I think I am a skittle (pear variation)

citymama
10-03-2011, 03:51 AM
I just came across this thread. I am a pear :D or an A on the other site. And like another poster said, I've been following 75% of the guidelines without knowing it and now I know why the remaining 25% don't flatter me! It's the tops and jackets that aren't fitted at the shoulders, and the ones that end at my hips (accentuating my broadest part) that don't work. Now I get it!

elektra - now I understand my dislike of skinny jeans and love of bootcuts - it's all about my body shape!

http://youlookfab.com/2007/12/12/the-body-shape-bible/

http://www.insideoutstyleblog.com/2008/09/body-shapes-explained-a-shape-pear.html

http://youlookfab.com/2006/04/21/the-pretty-pear/ - I love this link!

Fellow pears - any favorite jeans that work for you?

crl
10-03-2011, 09:10 AM
My best jeans at the moment are boot cuts from (gasp) Chiccos and trouser jeans in the curvy fit from Eddie Bauer. (I'm apparently an X, rather than a pear but similar issues and totally unable to wear skinny jeans)

Catherine

arivecchi
10-03-2011, 10:52 AM
I have no idea what I am. I think I am more hourglass when I am fuller, but maybe a rectangle when I am skinnier?

theriviera
10-03-2011, 12:55 PM
I'm not sure what I am either. On the YLF site, I think I'm an apple. But I don't think I'm an O on the other site. I did measure my shoulders, hips and waist this weekend. My shoulders and hips are about the same width apart. I think my hip is "high" per the insideout site. However, I barely have a waist, so I'm not sure? I definitely carry weight in my belly and upper hip area. Especially now when I'm still losing the baby weight.

eta: maybe I'm an H? who knows. this is all very confusing!

goldenpig
10-03-2011, 01:15 PM
I'm not sure what I am either. On the YLF site, I think I'm an apple. But I don't think I'm an O on the other site. I did measure my shoulders, hips and waist this weekend. My shoulders and hips are about the same width apart. I think my hip is "high" per the insideout site. However, I barely have a waist, so I'm not sure? I definitely carry weight in my belly and upper hip area. Especially now when I'm still losing the baby weight.

eta: maybe I'm an H? who knows. this is all very confusing!

Post some pics at YLF, the ladies will help you figure it out!