PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE. Easy company menu?

crl
09-27-2011, 12:32 PM
UPDATE

I did the pulled pork with sandwich rolls (and BBQ sauce), mac n cheese, green beans and grapes for dinner. I made cupcakes from a mix with homemade lemon buttercream icing. It all turned out well. The pulled pork was super easy; I will have to do that again.

If anyone is looking for an easy, but nice, green bean dish, I just boiled the beans and then dressed them in olive oil and lemon zest. I can't remember where I found that, but it is a nice, simple upgrade on green beans, IMO.

Thanks everyone!
Catherine

It looks like my MIL will be coming for dinner on Saturday while she is in town for work. She already came last night, but dh was out of town and I went with mostly take out food. Since dh will be here, I think I should actually cook dinner this time. (Although dh may think we should just get take out again.)

I was thinking maybe pulled pork in the crockpot? With rolls for sandwiches for the pork, green beans, fresh fruit and homemade Mac n cheese? My usual Mac n cheese recipe is a crockpot one so I'd need to either borrow a second crockpot or find an oven or stovetop recipe. I'd also need a pulled pork recipe. I'd bake something for dessert too most likely, or we could do homemade ice cream?

What do you think?

Catherine

elbenn
09-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Pulled pork sounds great. You might want to try Pioneer Woman's recipe. I don't think you even need the mac and cheese. Maybe just some cole slaw or a corn salad or something along those lines.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/08/spicy-shredded-pork/

BabyBearsMom
09-27-2011, 12:39 PM
Sounds good.

My go to company dinner is a brisket (my moms recipe). Just take a big sheet of tin foil, put the raw brisket (not a corned beef, just plain brisket) on the foil fat side up. Sprinkle liberally with a package of onion soup mix, I like Liptons. Then wrap the foil around the meat really really securely. You want all of the juices to stay inside the foil. Then I cook it in the oven on 350 for 3 hours (4 if it is a huge brisket). I like to make it the day before, then leave it to soak over night in beef gravy. Then I just heat it for an hour at 350 on the day of the company. It comes out super yummy and tender and the prep takes literally 5 minutes. Everyone who has this recipe raves about it and begs me for it. It is great served with any sort of potato or rice side dish.

crl
09-27-2011, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the feedback! My kids probably won't eat the pork, so the Mac n cheese would be mostly for them.

Catherine

waitingforgrace
09-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Sounds great! Would you mind sharing your Mac n cheese recipe? I'm intrigued that it's made in the crock pot.

georgiegirl
09-27-2011, 06:08 PM
I usually make paella and a green salad. It's an easy crowd pleaser and kids generally like it too .

crl
09-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Sounds great! Would you mind sharing your Mac n cheese recipe? I'm intrigued that it's made in the crock pot.

8 oz pkg. dry macaroni, cooked
2 Tbsp oil
13 oz can evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp. salt
3 cups shredded cheese
2-4 Tbsp melted butter
2 Tbsp. Onion, chopped very fine

1. In slow cooker, toss cooked macaroni in oil. Stir in remaining ingredients.
2. Cover. Cook on low 3-4 hours.

I use a mix of Cheddar and Colby jack cheeses and throw an extra half cup or so of cheese on top after I mix everything else together.

Catherine

crl
09-27-2011, 06:16 PM
I usually make paella and a green salad. It's an easy crowd pleaser and kids generally like it too .

:bowdown: paella always sounds hard to me. Can I come to your house for dinner?

Catherine

SnuggleBuggles
09-27-2011, 07:12 PM
beef stew in the crock pot and some bread or biscuits (Trader Joe's refrigerator canned ones are good!)?

Beth

DietCokeLover
09-27-2011, 07:48 PM
I think your menu sounds great. I love the Paula Deen Mac n cheese recipe. It's called Lady's Mac n Cheese. If you google that you will find it. It bakes in the oven.

waitingforgrace
09-27-2011, 10:06 PM
8 oz pkg. dry macaroni, cooked
2 Tbsp oil
13 oz can evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp. salt
3 cups shredded cheese
2-4 Tbsp melted butter
2 Tbsp. Onion, chopped very fine

1. In slow cooker, toss cooked macaroni in oil. Stir in remaining ingredients.
2. Cover. Cook on low 3-4 hours.

I use a mix of Cheddar and Colby jack cheeses and throw an extra half cup or so of cheese on top after I mix everything else together.

Catherine

Yum! Thanks

DrSally
09-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Sounds like a really yummy dinner!

crl
10-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Bump for update.