PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing a one-and-only stroller

teo
09-27-2011, 09:24 PM
Hi all---new FTM here, though I've been lurking for a bit to try to get my head around strollers. As we get closer to actually needing one, though, thought I would try posting to see if anyone can help me narrow our list a bit.

We are trying to be a one-stroller household, which I know is a big challenge---but we don't have much storage except in our basement (not accessible from house, so just for long-term storage) so any stroller we use regularly will live folded up in our front hall---not exactly ideal if we have several! (Most of our trips don't involve the car and our garage is not connected to our house, so storing it there is not a great option either, unfortunately.)

We're city dwellers and will be using the stroller in the neighborhood (old bumpy sidewalks) as well as on buses and trains, and will sometimes need to put it in the trunk of our small sedan. We also have a set of 12 steps that we will need to take the stroller up and down every. single. time. we use it...so weight is a big issue!

Here's our wish list...

Must-haves
- Under 20 lbs (easy to lift on steps/train/bus/etc.)
- Rugged enough to withstand cracked urban sidewalks
- Relatively easy/compact to store (can hang or sit folded)
- Folds with seat attached (see above!)
- Ability to use with newborn (either a flat recline, a bassinet, or a carseat adapter that will take Maxi-Cosi seats)
- Basket big enough/accessible enough for grocery trips (loaf of bread, half gallon of milk, box of cereal, etc.)
- Under $500

Nice-to-haves, but not critical:
- Reversible seat
- One-hand fold

We don't care about many of the other factors that are sometimes deciders (ability to take second seat, adjustable handles, snow maneuverability, etc.) so that helps a little.

Our baby is arriving late this fall, so though I watched the ABC Kids Expo releases with interest, it sounds like most of those won't be available in time for us to use. The older Snap 'n' Gos don't work with our carseat; the new ones that do are very expensive and too new to find used, it seems, so it doesn't make much sense to invest in that for a short use. I'd be open to getting an umbrella stroller that takes a carseat, though, that we could then use later for travel and such.

So far, I know about:

BJ City Mini---big flaw is storage basket accessibility; seems like this will be fixed on the 2012 strollers but not in time for us??
Uppa Baby Cruz---looks good, but haven't seen in real life so hard to know
Cybex Callisto (or other Cybex umbrellas?)
Bumbleride Flyer--but basket is small
Bumbleride Indie---maybe too big/bulky to work for transit?

I would love to hear if there are other strollers that might be a good fit for us---thanks! Also, would love thoughts on whether it's worth waiting for a stroller that might be released next year (specifically the BJ City Mini 2012 which would fix the basket issue, or maybe the Versa?) and what we might want to do in the meantime if we go that route.

Thanks!

teo
09-30-2011, 12:26 AM
Just bumping this up...anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

spannaz
09-30-2011, 12:45 AM
I can't quite remember the weight, but what about the Uppa Vista? It doesn't fold tiny, but seems to have most (if not all on your list). You may be able to still find some sale Maya's with that gorgeous graphite frame for $499 :). And the bassinet will come in handy if your LO falls asleep on your walks and you don't want to wake/ move him/her when you get home.

Good luck!

ETA: oh and it has a HUGE basket :)

teo
09-30-2011, 12:56 AM
Thanks---yes, I've looked at the Vista and the big strike against it is the weight (it's 25 pounds, which is more than we'd ideally like to be lugging up and down the steps). I *love* the basket on it, though, which is one reason I have high hopes for the Cruz, if they manage to maintain that feature while axing 6-7 pounds!

crl
09-30-2011, 01:15 AM
What about a Bee? I have never looked at one, but it seems to fit most of your criteria. I think it may be over price? If so, maybe one off CL?

Catherine

roseyloxs
09-30-2011, 02:38 AM
I don't know the price point but the BJ versa sounds pretty good. When are you due? I like to babywear when they are itty bitty (well I actually still do it but that is besides the point). If your baby is due in the winter then you can just wear a carrier under you coat. Check out the moby wrap or beco and ergo carriers.

ooh.. Looks like Valco may have some contenders for you too. http://www.ratedbymom.com/2011/09/valco-baby-is-going-to-have-a-big-year-in-2012/

citymama
09-30-2011, 03:01 AM
BTDT - one stroller city family here. I am not recommending my "one and only" stroller (Inglesina Zippy) even though it meets many of your criteria. The small basket on the Zippy is definitely a deal-breaker for you, and honestly, I have stroller envy every time I see a City Mini go by because the wheels seem so much more rugged. I would start out by baby wearing and then get the 2012 City Mini!

As the previous poster said, babywear in the first few months (we almost exclusively did for a year, but certainly in the early months it's easier, especially in the city). If you must, get a cheap stroller frame off craigslist (what kind of seat do you have that doesn't work with the SnG?). I know many people here don't like stroller frames, but I had one that I bought used for $15 and sold a few months later for $15, and it was useful to have it around when the baby fell asleep in her infant seat in the car. But you could also skip it. Then, in a couple of months, get the City Mini with the larger basket. I'm envious!

berlinsoul
09-30-2011, 04:07 AM
- I would look at the new City Mini GT which fits most of your criteria.

- And have you looked at the Mountain Buggy Swift? It's a great stroller which is def not too bulky for PT. The basket is also great! You can use it with a newborn (flat recline) but the seat does not reverse (= same with the BJCM).
There is an optional bassinet available for the Swift but it is very small and won't last very long, I'd assume...

According to the Bee+, I have read a very bad official testresult for the baby cocoon which was not recommended at all... I can look it up for you if you are interested.

fedoragirl
09-30-2011, 04:52 AM
I would like to comment on the MB Swift carrycot/bassinet. I have a Swift and reluctantly bought the carrycot at 50% off assuming that I wouldn't be able to use it for very long after reading a lot of reviews here. Anyhow, I bought it and had my baby who came out big and tall so I was apprehensive about using the carrycot. Yes, the carrycot is narrow as the Swift's frame is narrow but it is by no means a tiny bassinet. I can easily see 3-4 months of use with the carrycot. It sure saved me from buying a double. I love the carrycot almost as much as I love the Swift. I think it's the best stroller for city sidewalks. It's not exactly lightweight (my BJCM is lighter) but it fulfills almost all OP's criteria.

berlinsoul
09-30-2011, 05:12 AM
I can easily see 3-4 months of use with the carrycot. It sure saved me from buying a double. I love the carrycot almost as much as I love the Swift.

Great to hear that!!:)
I just saw it in a store and never used it. I admit it did look tiny to me..
And, the seller was very sceptical about it (she said people have complained a lot), but also said, it depends if you have a summer or a winter baby (= lot#s of cloths, muff etc.).

When we used the Teutonia carrycot (which was bigger) it became kind of narrow at around 4 months. We still used it, but I had felt better if my baby had more room... Those things should last 6 months, I guess, but thats only my opinion :).

tribe pride
09-30-2011, 07:46 AM
I don't know the price point but the BJ versa sounds pretty good. When are you due? I like to babywear when they are itty bitty (well I actually still do it but that is besides the point). If your baby is due in the winter then you can just wear a carrier under you coat. Check out the moby wrap or beco and ergo carriers.

ooh.. Looks like Valco may have some contenders for you too. http://www.ratedbymom.com/2011/09/valco-baby-is-going-to-have-a-big-year-in-2012/

Ooh, those Valco strollers look awesome, particularly the Spark! Depending on how wide and heavy the Spark is, I would be all over it, both the single and double!
I just got a Quad last week, and so far have been impressed with Valco's engineering; it's a really well-thought out stroller. Some of these newer strollers (Wave and Zee) look really similar to the Quad, though. I wonder if they're going to discontinue the Quad?

legaleagle
09-30-2011, 09:08 AM
Yes, the new Valcos look awesome. I was also going to suggest the micralite toro. Kids Woot has had them on a couple times for $400 with the bassinet.

teo
09-30-2011, 02:48 PM
Thanks all! Yes, my husband has seen the Toro on Woot and keeps asking if he should get it...I feel like I looked at the specs initially and there was some reason it didn't make sense but I'll look again. Will also check out the MB strollers; I'd looked at those long ago and thought they were all too heavy so I might have missed that. Can also check out the Bee+ if I can find a used one---too pricey new unfortunately. (Also a little nervous about leaving a Bugaboo unattended places since it looks more like an "expensive stroller" than some of the others that may actually cost the same...we'll probably get a buggy lock or something but we do live in an area where that's an issue---thieves who are savvy enough to recognize logos but low enough to take a baby's stroller anyway!)

Our carseat is the Cybex Aton, which seemed like a good plan until I realized it had the SnG compatibility issue. *sigh* (They do make one now that's compatible, but I haven't found it for less than $75 and it just came out this past year so no one seems to be getting rid of one yet...borrowed a friend's old one just to confirm that it really doesn't work, and it doesn't sadly.) If we have to pay full price, it makes more sense to spend a little more on one of the low-end Cybex umbrellas that has the adapter, since we'd at least get continued use out of that later on.

Sounds like the babywearing might be our best option to see if we can push through till 2012, though---due early November, so if some of the new strollers do actually show up in January I think we'd be okay, but I wouldn't want to wait too much longer than that. Right now we're registered for a Beco Gemini which we can use for a newborn, I think (and also considering the new Bjorn Miracle which definitely works for newborn).

Thanks for all of the help---this is all a little overwhelming! :)

teo
09-30-2011, 03:17 PM
Ooh, and it looks like Valco makes a carseat adapter that works with Maxi Cosi (=works with Cybex, apparently, though I haven't tested this yet!) for its current strollers, so seems promising that they might make one for the new strollers too...the Zee looks like it could be a great fit for us if it really shows up in January (which looks promising given that it seems to be out in other countries already?), especially if the new Baby Joggers aren't out till later in 2012. (I've been watching the Uppababy Cruz release date jump back month by month for the last six months or so since I want to try one out, so I'm a little skeptical of waiting new products out at this point.)

hoodlims
09-30-2011, 04:55 PM
I would wait for the BJ Versa and just spring for a Snap n Go last minute. They have 20% off coupons at many places and since people are going through them so quickly you can probably find a newer version on Craigslist or something as you get closer. I have a BOB that I bought an infant adapter for and never ever used it as I just wore my baby everywhere for the first 6 months. Maybe you can do the same until the Versa comes out?

legaleagle
09-30-2011, 08:36 PM
On another thread, someone (peppy parents?) said the versa was 24 lbs....

Multimama
10-01-2011, 07:58 AM
Our carseat is the Cybex Aton, which seemed like a good plan until I realized it had the SnG compatibility issue. *sigh* (They do make one now that's compatible, but I haven't found it for less than $75 and it just came out this past year so no one seems to be getting rid of one yet...borrowed a friend's old one just to confirm that it really doesn't work, and it doesn't sadly.) If we have to pay full price, it makes more sense to spend a little more on one of the low-end Cybex umbrellas that has the adapter, since we'd at least get continued use out of that later on.

Haven't read this whole thread, but the Cybex Aton is a great carseat for stroller compatibility. From what I've heard any stroller that takes Max-Cosi seats will take a Cybex Aton, which is pretty much every higher end stroller on the market (including the Toro).

roseyloxs
10-01-2011, 09:39 AM
Haven't read this whole thread, but the Cybex Aton is a great carseat for stroller compatibility. From what I've heard any stroller that takes Max-Cosi seats will take a Cybex Aton, which is pretty much every higher end stroller on the market (including the Toro).

I was so sad to hear they are taking the Aton off the US market. I really want that to be my next infant seat.

Multimama
10-01-2011, 09:42 AM
I was so sad to hear they are taking the Aton off the US market. I really want that to be my next infant seat.

You know, we can still hope that they are not. I think it is up in the air. There was an announcement from Regal Lager that they would stop distributing it, but then there was an announcement from Cybex that they are still trying to keep it on the market and come to an agreement with Regal Lager and apparently at the ABC show Regal Lager was saying they are pulling the X-Fix, but not the Aton at this time. So who knows??? I am really hoping they keep it here because the next model was supposed to have some nice improvement and it's a great seat.

roseyloxs
10-01-2011, 10:10 AM
You know, we can still hope that they are not. I think it is up in the air. There was an announcement from Regal Lager that they would stop distributing it, but then there was an announcement from Cybex that they are still trying to keep it on the market and come to an agreement with Regal Lager and apparently at the ABC show Regal Lager was saying they are pulling the X-Fix, but not the Aton at this time. So who knows??? I am really hoping they keep it here because the next model was supposed to have some nice improvement and it's a great seat.

Ooooh. That's good news. At least I can get it over here if I have to but I know it will be cheaper and US complaint if I can buy it from the states.

halos
10-01-2011, 01:34 PM
deleted

strollerqueen
10-01-2011, 02:56 PM

Yes, the deal went through, which means the Aton will continue, WHOO HOO! I have it all on video in the Big Stroller Roll-Out!:jammin:

teo
10-01-2011, 07:26 PM
I'm glad to hear the Aton update---I saw the news about it being discontinued the day after ours arrived and had a minor meltdown about whether we should keep it or not! :) (Talked to Regal Lager and they assured me that they would continue to provide warranty support for it regardless, and seemed very accessible so that was reassuring.)

And yes, it's been pretty good for stroller compatibility for most everything I've looked at except the Snap 'n' Go (which it didn't even occur to me to check beforehand...ah well!) Even that does have the option on the new ones---just have to wait till they start showing up used. *sigh*

teo
10-01-2011, 07:30 PM
Also, on the compatibility note---I've ready a few reviews of the Aton that suggest that it will click securely into the BJCM *without* the adapter, which I found really interesting (and want to go try!) Anyone know anything about this? (The only thing I can imagine is that it might somehow click into the bassinet connector...?) If true, that could be a big plus for the City Mini.

Multimama
10-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Yes, the deal went through, which means the Aton will continue, WHOO HOO! I have it all on video in the Big Stroller Roll-Out!:jammin:

Oooh, thanks! I am trying to convince myself we don't need an infant seat next time around, but the Aton is really calling to me. I already have a Zapp and I'm sure it will fit on the Maxi-Cosi adaptors that came with and since none of my other strollers are carseat compatible that's appealing. :) (Of course, I'm meaning to sell my Zapp. :wink2:)

legaleagle
10-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Oh, that's wonderful news about the Aton! I am NOT an infant seat person anyway and my kids are gigantic but it's such a nice lightweight, cute seat. So much better than those graco monstrosities.

And very eagerly awaiting the rollout! Will you be posting brands as soon as they're done like last year?

roseyloxs
10-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Oooh, thanks! I am trying to convince myself we don't need an infant seat next time around, but the Aton is really calling to me.

Same here. With the bee I like that I can theoretically get the maxi cosi adapters to fit the aton and the toro bassinet. I could get the aton adapters for my topaz too but I don't think I need two strollers to be car seat compatible. I don't run enough quick errands to warrant that.

strollerqueen
10-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Oh, that's wonderful news about the Aton! I am NOT an infant seat person anyway and my kids are gigantic but it's such a nice lightweight, cute seat. So much better than those graco monstrosities.

And very eagerly awaiting the rollout! Will you be posting brands as soon as they're done like last year?

Yes, I am working on it as we speak! And will post as we go for all of you "Early Adapters". :love-retry: Did a lot of Hi Defs with the CEO's this year, so that is why it is taking me a while. It's really excellent this year! :bighand:

tarheelborn
10-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Hi all---new FTM here, though I've been lurking for a bit to try to get my head around strollers. As we get closer to actually needing one, though, thought I would try posting to see if anyone can help me narrow our list a bit.

We are trying to be a one-stroller household, which I know is a big challenge---but we don't have much storage except in our basement (not accessible from house, so just for long-term storage) so any stroller we use regularly will live folded up in our front hall---not exactly ideal if we have several! (Most of our trips don't involve the car and our garage is not connected to our house, so storing it there is not a great option either, unfortunately.)

We're city dwellers and will be using the stroller in the neighborhood (old bumpy sidewalks) as well as on buses and trains, and will sometimes need to put it in the trunk of our small sedan. We also have a set of 12 steps that we will need to take the stroller up and down every. single. time. we use it...so weight is a big issue!

Here's our wish list...

Must-haves
- Under 20 lbs (easy to lift on steps/train/bus/etc.)
- Rugged enough to withstand cracked urban sidewalks
- Relatively easy/compact to store (can hang or sit folded)
- Folds with seat attached (see above!)
- Ability to use with newborn (either a flat recline, a bassinet, or a carseat adapter that will take Maxi-Cosi seats)
- Basket big enough/accessible enough for grocery trips (loaf of bread, half gallon of milk, box of cereal, etc.)
- Under $500

Nice-to-haves, but not critical:
- Reversible seat
- One-hand fold

We don't care about many of the other factors that are sometimes deciders (ability to take second seat, adjustable handles, snow maneuverability, etc.) so that helps a little.

Our baby is arriving late this fall, so though I watched the ABC Kids Expo releases with interest, it sounds like most of those won't be available in time for us to use. The older Snap 'n' Gos don't work with our carseat; the new ones that do are very expensive and too new to find used, it seems, so it doesn't make much sense to invest in that for a short use. I'd be open to getting an umbrella stroller that takes a carseat, though, that we could then use later for travel and such.

So far, I know about:

BJ City Mini---big flaw is storage basket accessibility; seems like this will be fixed on the 2012 strollers but not in time for us??
Uppa Baby Cruz---looks good, but haven't seen in real life so hard to know
Cybex Callisto (or other Cybex umbrellas?)
Bumbleride Flyer--but basket is small
Bumbleride Indie---maybe too big/bulky to work for transit?

I would love to hear if there are other strollers that might be a good fit for us---thanks! Also, would love thoughts on whether it's worth waiting for a stroller that might be released next year (specifically the BJ City Mini 2012 which would fix the basket issue, or maybe the Versa?) and what we might want to do in the meantime if we go that route.

Thanks!

I can't really speak to any of these except the Bumblerides. I personally think the Indie is awesome but much too bulky to carry up and down stairs. The Flyer would be doable but again, sort of bulky (though the actual fold is pretty easy). The basket on the Flyer isn't huge but I actually think it's pretty decent, I can fit a medium sized diaper bag in there very easily (Diaper Dude or Storksak Emily).

I have pushed a City Mini and folded it and I think it seems pretty awesome. I wish I had it as my single instead of my Flyer. I would have dealt with the crappy basket for it. I probably wouldn't have ended up buying an umbrella if I had bought that one instead. :)

gamma
10-09-2011, 08:55 PM
The new Babyhome Emotion may suit your needs. It has a nice basket and larger wheels for a light weight stroller.

ged
10-12-2011, 07:22 AM
I would not recommend the Toro for your situation because 1) it is not pleasant to bump up and down steps and 2) the basket is small and will not support heavy groceries. I'm thinking the swift sounds perfect...

I *wish* I had the Swift, but I don't, but I have the older/bigger Urban Jungle. I use it for my city dwelling, including: bumping it up and down 20+ steps to my apt, on escalators, in elevators, on buses/undergrounds/trams, on cobblestone, into tiny shops, carrying daily groceries, etc., etc. I don't know if it's the perfect stroller, but it does the job well. I don't know if it would fit into the trunk of a sedan though. We also have an umbrella stroller that we leave in the car for the occasional car rides/traveling. The sunshade on my MBUS is horrible horrible horrible, but most people here us extra umbrellas for sun protection anyways, so we just use that in addition.