PDA

View Full Version : Yet another job rejection

PunkyBoo
09-28-2011, 12:29 PM
I am so sick of putting my effort and heart into applying for jobs and all the waiting and waiting and expectations on hearing back just to get a "thanks but we don't even want to interview you." I do not regret deciding to stay home to be a SAHM when we had Punkin, I did everything right to set up a situation to make it easy to return to work when I needed to. But unfortunately, now that I NEED to return to work, there isn't any work. I have been trying to find a job for almost 2 and a half years. I don't get to collect unemployment because I chose to stop working almost 8 years ago. But how can I compete with people who are working RIGHT NOW?? Apparently I can't. I can't even get in to meet them to show them that I'd be great, I'd work my butt off, I can do the job easily. And it SUCKS.

crl
09-28-2011, 12:40 PM
I am so sorry! :hug:

Catherine

sidmand
09-28-2011, 12:48 PM
I'm so sorry. It is very frustrating. I used to send out a resume and almost immediately get a call and now I get nothing at all. I don't have to work but I'd like to (and my primary work is drying up) so I get what you're saying. So sorry it's so frustrating for you.

weech
09-28-2011, 12:53 PM
I'm so sorry! I've gotten my fair share of rejection letters recently, and I'm currently working, so I can imagine how frustrating it must be trying to re-enter the workforce. Sending some good vibes your way!

kdeunc
09-28-2011, 01:22 PM
I am so sorry! I am in the same boat. I have been looking for a year and a half with no luck. I am finally getting calls for interviews but no success so far. I have been a finalists for two positions that decided after 2nd and 3rd interviews that they really didn't know exactly what they needed for the position so they put it on hold. It sucks to lose out to another candidate but to nobody!?! :)

Sending you lots of luck!!

almostmom
09-28-2011, 01:36 PM
I feel your pain. I am currently working, but would love to change paths and have applied for some jobs that I was really excited about and knew I could do well. But no luck, just a rejection letter (and a couple of phone interviews that I thought went great, but then nothing). It sucks. I wish I had advice. I don't think it's because you stayed home - the job market is just a different place than it was 5 or 10 years ago. Unfortunately.

ladysoapmaker
09-28-2011, 04:41 PM
I understand. I am currently looking to change jobs. I would love to get a rejection letter. I guess there are just too many applicants for them to send rejection letters.

Good luck on the job search.
Jen

♥ms.pacman♥
09-28-2011, 04:51 PM
i am so, so sorry. i am about to be in the same situation very soon and i am so dreading it. i really want to go back to work, but i know it's going to be a huge hurdle just to find a job. 3 years ago when we first moved here (before kids), i spent 6 months looking for a job and couldn't even land an interview to save my life. it was really really discouraging, and that was THEN, before i had the stress of dealing with kids all day. now it's gonna be the same struggle, but add a 3-year gap of not working, dealing with kids' stuff and logistics (arranging childcare and whatnot so i can talk on the phone or do interviews) so it will be so much harder. sometimes when i think about how hard i worked for my degrees, yet how right now i have absolutely nothing to show for it...it makes me so sad.

khm
09-28-2011, 05:24 PM
I'm so sorry, it does indeed suck.

I hope the PERFECT job is right around the corner!

Globetrotter
09-28-2011, 05:26 PM
:grouphug:

I'm starting my search, too, and I'm bracing myself for this.

hellokitty
09-28-2011, 05:35 PM
I'm sorry, it sucks to get rejection letters. I'll be in your shoes after DS3 starts full day school in 4 yrs. I've been out of the work force as long as you have, b/c my oldest DS is the same age as yours.

ThreeofUs
09-28-2011, 05:51 PM
:hug: So sorry! Hang in there and keep trying, even though it's really hard.

KpbS
09-29-2011, 12:50 AM
Big hugs :hug: :hug: :hug:

mjs64
09-29-2011, 01:18 AM
I'm so, so sorry! I really do know how it feels. Last year when I was on the market, I got more than 50 rejection letters and emails. At that point, it was almost better when I didn't hear at all, since I wasn't reminded of my failure. I was a finalist at 2 positions but not, in the end, hired.

I spent A LOT of time applying for jobs. Hours and hours. After awhile, it just makes you feel like carp. I finally got a position, but it's a temporary, part-time one, and not what I wanted, so, I'm on the market again. Honestly, I don't know if I have the self-esteem for it.

:hug:
It is rough out there. Try not to let it get you down, and I'll try to do the same. It is NOT a reflection on your personal worth. I guess I'd also say that what I'm doing now, even though it's temporary and not what I ultimately want to do, IS what's best for my family now, with DS being so little and me completing my doctoral degree. So maybe's there's, you know, a plan? P & PT for you and your search.

citymama
09-29-2011, 04:45 AM
I am so sorry, but I wanted to send a pep talk your way. It's a tough time, and a job isn't going to walk right up to you and tap you on the shoulder...but there is a great job out there for you, one that might take some looking, interviewing, and starting back looking again. Your "dry run" interviews are probably training you well for the real interview when it happens! All the best and don't give up! :cheerleader1:

Uno-Mom
09-29-2011, 09:23 AM
Sending good job-hunting vibes to everyone }}}}}}}}}}}}}.

ncat
09-30-2011, 07:36 AM
I've been there and it's really tough - it is important keep a positive attitude.

The most helpful thing I did when I was looking for a job as a SAHM was to network. I became an active member of a professional organization for women in my field - a personal contact I met through this organization ultimately led to a job. I had some luck with job fairs - one I went to led to 2 in person interviews. I also set up informational interviews with anyone I could identify that worked in a role I was interested in or at a company I was interested in. These included co-workers of my husband, friends of friends, spouses of moms I met at playgroups. I did no know about LinkedIn at that time, but it would have been incredibly helpful.

Good luck!

(I am currently working on a job search now - it has definitely been easier to get responses from my resume since I am currently working. Also, I have not gotten asked about my several year gap from a few years back when I was a SAHM.)

Nooknookmom
10-01-2011, 02:48 PM
I am so sick of putting my effort and heart into applying for jobs and all the waiting and waiting and expectations on hearing back just to get a "thanks but we don't even want to interview you." I do not regret deciding to stay home to be a SAHM when we had Punkin, I did everything right to set up a situation to make it easy to return to work when I needed to. But unfortunately, now that I NEED to return to work, there isn't any work. I have been trying to find a job for almost 2 and a half years. I don't get to collect unemployment because I chose to stop working almost 8 years ago. But how can I compete with people who are working RIGHT NOW?? Apparently I can't. I can't even get in to meet them to show them that I'd be great, I'd work my butt off, I can do the job easily. And it SUCKS.

Just keep plugging along, you'll find the right position, or rather the right position will find you!

I have to agree w/ you on the unemployment front, Hubby & I have been self-employed (me since'98) and when I was unable to work I couldn't draw unemployment either, it REALLY sucks. What kills me thought is the 1 employee we have convinced the state that he is spozed to get more hrs than he really is so he collects a check from me and still gets unemployment (for doing nothing) and people like yourself can't get help. THAT bugs me to death!

I always look at interviews as a business decision, I go in assuming nothing and never let it the decision get personal. Keep it cut and dry, maybe it will be easier for you - until the right one falls in your lap!