PDA

View Full Version : How often do you check your email?

AnnieW625
09-28-2011, 12:38 PM
The fact that I didn't check my email last night made me miss the email from the kindermoms about sending the kids lunch in a paper sack today (which we do have a few). I check my email at least twice a day during work for non work stuff.

BabyBearsMom
09-28-2011, 12:44 PM
I get my personal e-mail on my iPhone so I basically check it constantly. But I think you need to give 24 hr notice when sending an e-mail for the next day. What if you didn't have paper bags and had to run out and get them?

sidmand
09-28-2011, 12:46 PM
I'm afraid to admit how many times a day I check my e-mail (I have an iPhone too so it's nearly constant) but I completely agree that if it's an important message or something that HAS to be done at a certain day or time I give AT LEAST 24 hours notice and expect the same. If I can't manage that then I call (and I hate calling!).

weech
09-28-2011, 12:46 PM
During work, my personal email stays open in a separate browser so I check it constantly. At home, I typically don't check email between 5 and 7 because DS is awake. After that, I'm usually online or at least have my phone with me until 9-10p.

I agree with the pp, though - more notice should have been given! What if you didn't have paper bags?

AnnieW625
09-28-2011, 12:47 PM
I get my personal e-mail on my iPhone so I basically check it constantly. But I think you need to give 24 hr notice when sending an e-mail for the next day. What if you didn't have paper bags and had to run out and get them?

and the city where most of the kids in her class live has banned plastic bags given out at grocery stores in the last month so unless they go shop in a neighboring city the only plastic bags they might have are those small ones that people put veggies in or the expensive poop bags for dogs. Not good for lunches IMHO.

mommylamb
09-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Um... a lot. At work, I keep Outlook open all the time because I have a lot of work emails come in, but I also get some personal emails at that account. Then I also check my personal email accounts multiple times a day.

crl
09-28-2011, 01:00 PM
I check a bunch, but irregularly so a message sent at 5 pm could easily go unread until 10 am the next day.

Catherine

lizzywednesday
09-28-2011, 01:01 PM
During the week, I check my e-mail several times a day.

I have a smartphone but don't obsessively check my e-mail on it.

On the weekends, however, I don't check my e-mail as often. DD protests if I boot up my laptop in front of her and I don't blame her one bit!

TwinFoxes
09-28-2011, 01:03 PM

:yeahthat:

rlu
09-28-2011, 01:06 PM
way too often!

work email is open all day from 9 - 5 (9p on last day of the month) and personal is checked at least 3 times a day (sometimes left open if waiting for specific email) on work days.

weekends - not so much, but usually at least once a day.

agree with everyone else, an email sent last night for today is not enough time.

JElaineB
09-28-2011, 01:14 PM
For my personal email account I check every day to every other day. I have my work email open all day on weekdays, so I have school notices sent to my work address.

Pear
09-28-2011, 02:46 PM
I have multiple accounts that I use for different purposes. Only a select few like my husband and sister have the address that sends a push notification to my phone. Friends and things like school go to the account that I generally check 4-5 times a day. Businesses get the account that I never read unless I am checking for a coupon.

I would expect at least 24 hours notice for anything that needed to be brought. Frankly if there is any chance that a shopping run is required I think a week is the bare minimum to reduce the odds that people have to make a special trip.

g-mama
09-28-2011, 02:47 PM
I do have a smartphone, but only as of this summer. Prior to that, I check all day long. The computer is right in our kitchen so I can see/hear all day long when new emails come in.

khalloc
09-28-2011, 03:42 PM
I will vote 10+ times a day, but really i sit at a computer all day long and have my email up the entire time so I can see when anything comes in.

ladysoapmaker
09-28-2011, 05:22 PM
Right now I'm not able to telecommute as often as I'd like and I haven't gotten a smartphone yet, so I don't check my personal email as often as I would like. My work has the network set up to block all access to personal email websites (google, yahoo, ms mail, school email, etc)

At work I have Outlook open all day long.

When I'm telecommuting, I check my personal email several times a day.

I'm the one who gets the email notices about the kids and so far I've only missed one email that was time critical. And it turned out I didn't need to worry about it. I really can't wait until December, I can then get a smartphone for cheap.

Jen

Melaine
09-28-2011, 05:26 PM
I don't have a smart phone and don't really want that kind of thing, so I don't like any kind of last minute plans via email. If I am home I may check it 2-3 times a day or more if I am waiting on something but it's typical for us to go out and be gone all day not even check it until the next day.

MoJo
09-28-2011, 05:31 PM
I check a bunch, but irregularly so a message sent at 5 pm could easily go unread until 10 am the next day.

Catherine

I'm with Catherine. If I'm home, I check frequently. . . unless DH is home too. If he's home, he's probably on the only computer that gets email. I don't have access to personal email at work and don't have a smart phone.

I would typically NOT see an email sent after 4:00 until around 6:00 the next morning (because I do usually check then. . . DH is already on his way to work) and would be frustrated in your situation.

lmwbasye
09-28-2011, 06:40 PM
All the time. But that is because DH is gone.

For your purposes I don't think you can assume someone gets email that quickly. A phone call would be necessary.

edurnemk
09-28-2011, 07:57 PM
I get my work email and my personal email in my laptop AND my blackberry, so I check it many times a day. When I'm at work during the morning I check any time I see the alert for new email. At home I check several times during the afternoon since I have my phone with me and I'm somewhat available for the office all day (even though I work PT)

Cam&Clay
09-28-2011, 07:58 PM
[QUOTE=lmwbasye;3280044]All the time. But that is because DH is gone.

[QUOTE]

:yeahthat: With DH on the other side of the world, I am obsessed. I have work and personal email open on my computer all day long. I check the iPhone constantly when away from the computer. I even check it during the night if I wake up because he is 8.5 hours ahead of me.

With only occasional calls and no ability to video call, email is all we have. It's our lifeline.