PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite of the major American sports?

TwinFoxes
09-28-2011, 01:46 PM
Sorry soccer fans. :) Of the major sports in the US/Canada, which are your favorite? All of you non-sports fans can make your own poll, there's no "other" option. I'm just curious about the major sports. Wait for the poll...

ETA: Growing up, I was a huge baseball fan, like I knew batting averages and ERAs etc. But somewhere along the line, I started liking football more.

elektra
09-28-2011, 01:57 PM
I love baseball and summer. Sniff sniff.

arivecchi
09-28-2011, 02:10 PM
What? No shopping?

TwinFoxes
09-28-2011, 02:24 PM
What? No shopping?

That's not a sport, that's a way of life. :wink2:

citymama
09-28-2011, 02:32 PM
There is no "none of the above" option! So I voted baseball, the only one of those I really like! Followed by basketball.

TwinFoxes
09-28-2011, 02:35 PM
There is no "none of the above" option!

That was done on purpose. :)

wencit
09-28-2011, 02:35 PM
I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area during the 80s and 90s, when the 49ers were dominant, so needless to say, I :heartbeat: football! My kids already know to say, "Go Niners!" :)

Ceepa
09-28-2011, 02:40 PM
Baseball! Either you love it or you find it painfully boring.

Twoboos
09-28-2011, 02:44 PM
Tom Brady could make me a fan of underwater basket weaving if he was involved.... so I said football!!!

g-mama
09-28-2011, 02:46 PM
What? No shopping?

:yeahthat:

But if I had to choose a real sport, it would be soccer. So I didn't vote. :)

rlu
09-28-2011, 03:04 PM
I'm so torn - football and hockey are always on at our house... didn't vote yet, can't pick just one.

mommyp
09-28-2011, 03:05 PM
Hockey! Happy it's starting up again soon.

mommylamb
09-28-2011, 03:08 PM
:nono: I'm boycotting this poll.

egoldber
09-28-2011, 03:10 PM
Baseball.

I grew up in Cincinnati in the era of The Big Red Machine. :)

arivecchi
09-28-2011, 03:10 PM
:ROTFLMAO:

If our DHs met, they would have absolutely NOTHING to talk about!

TwinFoxes
09-28-2011, 03:11 PM

:30:

Tee hee.

mommylamb
09-28-2011, 03:25 PM
:ROTFLMAO:

If our DHs met, they would have absolutely NOTHING to talk about!

You mean your DH doesn't obsess over Manchester United, old films, Boby Dylan and random nonfiction books? :hug5:I'm sure we could fill the silence.

:30:

Tee hee.

You're forgiven. I still :heartbeat: you.

arivecchi
09-28-2011, 03:30 PM
You mean your DH doesn't obsess over Manchester United, old films, Boby Dylan and random nonfiction books? :hug5:I'm sure we could fill the silence. :hysterical:

My DH is OBSESSED with football, refuses to watch soccer on principle, loves crappy action and horror movies, heavy metal and Stephen King books. Apparently we married complete opposites. lololol

sunshine873
09-28-2011, 03:39 PM
I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area during the 80s and 90s, when the 49ers were dominant, so needless to say, I :heartbeat: football! My kids already know to say, "Go Niners!" :)

Same here...but grew up in Wisconsin. So my DD pipes up with "Go Pack Go!" :cheerleader1: I couldn't be prouder.

arivecchi
09-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Same here...but grew up in Wisconsin. So my DD pipes up with "Go Pack Go!" :cheerleader1: I couldn't be prouder.Boooo! ;)

g-mama
09-28-2011, 03:40 PM
refuses to watch soccer on principle

Just curious....what does that mean?

mommylamb
09-28-2011, 03:43 PM
:hysterical:

My DH is OBSESSED with football, refuses to watch soccer on principle, loves crappy action and horror movies, heavy metal and Stephen King books. Apparently we married complete opposites. lololol

Yeah, best be keeping them apart :ROTFLMAO:.

And by refusing to watch soccer on principle, I assume that's because he doesn't want to admit that it's the real football. The beautiful sport vs. a bunch of guys wearing several feet of padding running into each other in the mud.

theriviera
09-28-2011, 04:16 PM
Football!!! College football is my favorite but I like watching the pros too. I even have my own FF team in a league with my HS friends.

BabyBearsMom
09-28-2011, 04:20 PM
:hysterical:

Your DH and my DH would get along except my DH doesn't read Stephen King much. My DH refers to soccer as "the world's most boring sport" although he doesn't say this in front of my brother in law :wink2:. He says he doesn't want our kids to play soccer because he doesn't want to watch the games. I think that this is just because he is a terrible soccer player and he hates anything he isn't good at.

My favorite sport is basketball, specifically college basketball. My college was big into mens and womens basketball. I don't watch much now that I am not in college but when I was in college it was basically part of the curriculum.

karin4
09-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Baseball! It's not even close, although I do like football and college hoops, too.

Let's go, Phillies!

AnnieW625
09-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Tom Brady could make me a fan of underwater basket weaving if he was involved.... so I said football!!!

He he. Love me some Tom Brady too:) I could listen to him talk all day. I love his Northern California accent (most people won't notice it unless you are from that area).

I did vote football. I love Mark Sanchez too, and he's 9 yrs. younger than I am :bag . My list of hunky NFL quarterbacks is getting longer and longer each year since I can't add anymore from college anymore.

I also do like basketball, and baseball too. Not too much into hockey, but I am thinking of taking DH to a game sometime this coming season as we've never been.

arivecchi
09-28-2011, 04:47 PM
Yeah, best be keeping them apart :ROTFLMAO:.

And by refusing to watch soccer on principle, I assume that's because he doesn't want to admit that it's the real football. The beautiful sport vs. a bunch of guys wearing several feet of padding running into each other in the mud.
Hehehe. DH says the opposite. He played "real" football in college and high school and will not entertain "fake" football. LOL. He is so silly. It would be hilarious if one of our kids ended up loving soccer! He's already working on his football brainwashing - which is actually hard to escape from in his family as his dad and both of his brothers also played college football. Can I tell you how fun it is to have to interact with a bunch of football nuts?

LarsMal
09-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Baseball is my favorite, followed by COLLEGE basketball- not a huge fan of professional basketball. I am becoming a hockey fan because L is so into it now, but I still don't really understand it!

mommylamb
09-28-2011, 06:10 PM
Hehehe. DH says the opposite. He played "real" football in college and high school and will not entertain "fake" football. LOL. He is so silly. It would be hilarious if one of our kids ended up loving soccer! He's already working on his football brainwashing - which is actually hard to escape from in his family as his dad and both of his brothers also played college football. Can I tell you how fun it is to have to interact with a bunch of football nuts?

Hmmm... and the challenge is on. My DS can try to indoctrinate your DS into loving soccer.

My DS will actually watch any sport that goes on the TV. To the point where he told my mother recently that he couldn't do whatever she wanted him to do because he was "watching golf with papa." He will watch American football if it's on (at my parents' house. It doesn't come on in our house unless my dad is visiting), or really anything. He loves to watch soccer on TV too. He has to go up and put his Manchester United kit on and runs around the room. At the age of 2, he would hang out with DH downstairs watching them play and copying anything DH said- which meant he really needed to watch his mouth. But I remember hearing him at that age yell out "Go on lad, get it in the box!" It's funny to hear your then 2 year old call a grown man a "lad."

lablover
09-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Football is #1 here, followed by baseball, then hockey. The only thing I can't stand watching is pro basketball.

bubbaray
09-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Rugby!

I voted hockey as that is pretty much the only sport we watch on TV.

DietCokeLover
09-28-2011, 08:55 PM
I would have chosen soccer.

smilequeen
09-28-2011, 10:31 PM
Hockey, but followed very closely by baseball. I love to watch football too. Not a huge basketball fan.

It's a good thing I love sports. My oldest son is completely obsessed!

TwinFoxes
09-28-2011, 10:36 PM
You're forgiven. I still :heartbeat: you.

:kisscheek:

I actually don't mind soccer, I couldn't be a card-carrying Anglophile if I did. :) DH would agree with Arivecchi's and BabyBearsMom's DHs.

cono0507
09-28-2011, 11:29 PM
Big soccer fans here. We go to many MLS games each season and my 6 yo knows many of the international teams also. But given those options, I have to go with football.

MontrealMum
09-28-2011, 11:54 PM

:yeahthat: and I have a feeling our hubbies would get along just fine :tongue5:

TwinFoxes, what, no skiing?

mjs64
09-29-2011, 12:24 AM
I did vote (for baseball), but I agree with PPs that soccer NEEDS to be an option. It's becoming more and more popular (the Women's World Cup even aired on ESPN 1 this summer). Would have voted soccer.

Love those Twins though.

LexyLou
09-29-2011, 01:04 AM
Soccer is #1 in this house by a landslide followed by football then baseball. We can kind of take or leave both basketball and hockey.

TwinFoxes
09-29-2011, 06:16 AM
I did vote (for baseball), but I agree with PPs that soccer NEEDS to be an option.

More people watch NASCAR every week (in this country) than soccer, and it's carried on broadcast TV. I didn't include that either. :) Or tennis (which I love). Or skiing (really Montreal Mum :)?) I was really curious about the four sports that are considered major sports among adult fans year in and year out.

mommylamb
09-29-2011, 07:00 AM
:yeahthat: and I have a feeling our hubbies would get along just fine :tongue5:

I think our DHs would have an awful lot in common... but not all of it is good.:)

More people watch NASCAR every week (in this country) than soccer, and it's carried on broadcast TV. I didn't include that either. :) Or tennis (which I love). Or skiing (really Montreal Mum :)?) I was really curious about the four sports that are considered major sports among adult fans year in and year out.

Really, NASCAR should probably be included. Shame on you. Though I guess it's not a team thing. I agree with you on the skiing thing. Montreal Mum, that's a bit of a stretch!

arivecchi
09-29-2011, 07:06 AM
My DH refers to soccer as "the world's most boring sport" although he doesn't say this in front of my brother in law :wink2:. Somehow I missed your post! Lol!

MontrealMum
09-29-2011, 08:02 AM
Hey, at least I didn't say curling ;)

MelissaTC
09-29-2011, 08:13 AM
I voted for hockey. I grew up going to Rangers games back in the days of the Patrick division, Brian Leetch, The Messiah and Lindros. Moved to NC and now have season tickets for the Canes. This is definitely a college basketball town, with UNC, Duke, State and Wake Forest nearby. But I'll tell you what- the hockey fans here are hardcore. It is awesome.

Football is on here every Sunday. DH is a crazy fan. We have a family league online and there is some serious competition. I puffy heart Mark Sanchez.

MontrealMum
09-29-2011, 08:17 AM
I think our DHs would have an awful lot in common... but not all of it is good.:)

:p

I'm going to vote for hockey, then, since I've been chastised. Although that is far exceeded by skiing and cycling in our house. We even had to subscribe to a special channel just to watch the Tour.