PDA

View Full Version : Tragic Cousins

maydaymommy
09-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Tonight we have our big family holiday dinner for the Jewish New Year.

One of my cousins is recently separated. She and her husband had been our role models as great parents and such a happy couple. (Ha. Just shows you never know....) It's really sad not to have her husband with us, we loved him like a family member - for 20 years, counting when they started dating. We are also close with her teenage kids and everyone acts like they are totally fine, but how could they be? We've had a bunch of family stuff without the ex-cousin over the past 9 months since they split up. Every time, I miss him a lot. And I just find it so tragic that they are getting divorced. The family we aspired to be - gone.

I get very sad about this.

But then, I look across the room at my other cousin with her 15 and 11 year old daughters, and it's even worse.
She is going to die from an incurable degenerative disease.
She tells people that she has a different malady, a bad one, but not fatal - the same thing her mother has lived with for a decade. But, it's really obvious that she has the really, really bad kind. Her illness is progressing so quickly. I know it will be painful to see her. There is a rare genetic mutation present in my mother's family. My mother is not a carrier, her sister is. My sister and I won't have it. But the bullet so barely missed us. This cousin was my idol and heroe when I was young. I wanted to be her. We were close for a long time, but she's been treating me badly since we've been adults. She can really annoy me.
But she's dying.

I'll update after tonight.

mariza
09-28-2011, 03:27 PM
No words, just :grouphug: hope you can get through the painful parts and try to enjoy a special time with your family!

elephantmeg
09-28-2011, 03:28 PM
yikes. Sounds like this is going to be rough. Hugs to you all!

AngelaS
09-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Ugh. (hugs)

plusbellelavie
09-28-2011, 07:42 PM
I am so sorry! I hope tonight's dinner went better then you expected and that you will have special memories together to keep for the future. BL! :hug:

sunshine873
09-28-2011, 08:54 PM
Wow, sounds like a rough night. :22:

DrSally
09-28-2011, 09:17 PM
I'm so sorry.

MamaMolly
09-28-2011, 10:08 PM
Oh babe, that just sounds so hard. One of those nights that gets you really counting your blessings. Huge hugs! :grouphug:

MamaSnoo
09-29-2011, 01:37 PM
I'm sorry. :hug:

larig
09-29-2011, 05:10 PM
:grouphug: