PDA

View Full Version : Kolcraft Contours II or Contours Optima?

robyncox
09-28-2011, 06:28 PM
Does anyone have either of these strollers? I am trying to decide between the two. I don't want to go with the original options cause the canopies do not adjust and I think that is pretty important.

So, I am now trying to decide between the Options II and the Optima. If the Options II were a darker color I would get that one. Neither one has fabric that can be washed. The new Optima has a softer , more plush material on the stroller which I am concerned will be hard to clean. I do like the fact that most of it is black and wont get dirty when I have to sit them on the ground (after you take them out so you can fold it). The Optima is 10 lbs. lighter as well but that does not matter much to me. The Options II has the harder fabric (not plush) which I feel may be easier to clean. I just worry about the lighter color of the seats and them showing dirt. See, you have to remove the seats to fold it in your trunk so the back of the seats will be sitting on the ground and touching the dirty wheels when it is in the trunk.

Both have adjustable canopies and cup holders.

Any advice?

legaleagle
09-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Neither, they're both very heavy and hard to steer. How old are your riders and what's your budget?

robyncox
09-28-2011, 10:17 PM
I understand they are heavy. I have tried them in the store with my son in it and it steers very nice. We were considering the City Select for awhile but the reviews for the baby car seat attachment are horrible. I don't think we will use it that much to get my $800.00's worth. The basket is not big enough. So, we have decided against the City Select.

My son is 2 and I will have a newborn in a couple weeks.

I have searched for strollers for a long time now. I have seen everyone on the market. I really think the Contours is the one for me. There is no perfect stroller but this one is the closest bang for your buck.

Any opinions on my concerns with the issues I brought up?

roseyloxs
09-29-2011, 03:21 AM
The basket on the city select is huge! You didn't find it big enough? Maybe you would like to check out the B-ready which you can get with second seat for under $400 until October 15th.

If you are still set on the contours I would get the darker fabric/lighter frame model. The weight may not seem important now but when you are pushing two toddlers uphill you will be happy the stroller is 10 lbs lighter.

Multimama
09-29-2011, 06:34 AM
Remember that almost any stroller will push well on the smooth floors of an indoor store. It's how it will push outside that really changes things. I think the B-ready could be a good suggestion for you, especially with the current second seat deal. Although if I were in your shoes I would be looking at the Duet. :)

hoodlims
09-29-2011, 11:36 AM
If you do take a look at the B-Ready, make sure you register for a baby registry on Amazon. Many of us got ours under $330 with the second seat!

robyncox
09-29-2011, 04:09 PM
I know a lot of moms on here do not like the contours. I don't know if it because most you are city moms with limited space but I really like it. I HATE the B-ready. I need a large basket and the B-Ready has the kid in the basket area. Plus, who wants to sit way down there.

I am really looking for opinions on moms who have used the Contours Options II or the Optima and can answer my questions on these that I asked. I am not looking for new stroller ideas. I appreciate you all trying to help but I am just trying to decide between these two.

roseyloxs
09-29-2011, 04:59 PM
I have borrowed the contours from a friend and it was very heavy to push so as I already mentioned I would go for the lighter one and save yourself a few pounds.

Multimama
09-29-2011, 05:01 PM
I know a lot of moms on here do not like the contours. I don't know if it because most you are city moms with limited space but I really like it. I HATE the B-ready. I need a large basket and the B-Ready has the kid in the basket area. Plus, who wants to sit way down there.

I am really looking for opinions on moms who have used the Contours Options II or the Optima and can answer my questions on these that I asked. I am not looking for new stroller ideas. I appreciate you all trying to help but I am just trying to decide between these two.

I think once you are out and about trying to push the Contours with all the weight of kids and stuff, you'll understand why we are trying to steer you in a different direction (no pun intended).

I bet you can find another bulletin board with lots of experience with these strollers though. Maybe try over at Babycenter??

GvilleGirl
09-29-2011, 08:26 PM
Not a city-mama, but I think the Contours is long and difficult to push. I also think there is a big difference between pushing 1 2yo in a double and 2 kids. When you put the big kid in the front it was a lot more difficult. I do think the difficulty in push probably depends on what stroller you were pushing as a single.

And for the B-ready, my 2yo loves sitting on the bottom and the 10m. could care less. And my nephews with a P&T now 4 & 5 both loved the bottom.

I never thought about removing the fabric, that was until we were potty training and had an accident. So glad I could throw that in the wash.

If I was only going to choose between these two I would definitely choose the Optima since it is almost 10 lbs lighter. I can't imagine having a stroller that was almost 45lbs w/o kids!

robyncox
09-29-2011, 09:52 PM
The lack of storage with the B-ready is the main reason why I would never buy that one. The problem with the Optima is that the fabric on the seat is not the vinyl like the Options II. It is more of a plush fabric. You can not wash these covers so that is why I am really concerned with the optima. I have lifted both into my truck and the 10 lbs. does not really bother me. It does not seem like there is even a difference to be honest.

hellokitty
09-29-2011, 10:22 PM
I agree with a pp. Why don't you post at babycenter.com or ivillage.com to ask about this particular stroller. The stroller, "culture" on this board is that ppl here generally avoid graco, evenflo, kolcraft, cosco type of strollers. So, you are not going to find many here that have experience with those strollers and if they do, most likely they will be very negative reviews. Oh and not everyone here lives in the city, I live out in the stix and I :heartbeat: my P&T as a doubles stroller when I needed a double. Most moms here don't place a high priority on the size of the stroller basket, so I think that we're not going to be able to help you in this dept.