PDA

View Full Version : ARGH, PreK Fundraiser!!!

elizabethkott
09-28-2011, 07:11 PM
DS comes home today with the fundraising packet. Oh, Innisbrook, how do I hate thee and thy crappytastic goods, let me count the ways... one one thousand... two one thousand... three one thousand...
And then I look more closely. Hidden amongst the flyers for all the FABULOUS CRAP you can "win" by selling... well, fabulous crap, there lies the sheet that lists the deadline.
And it's MONDAY.
As in, October 3rd.
Um, yeah. We're so not going to be participating in this.
Stupid Innisbrook.
Stupid fundraiser.
Stupid

PunkyBoo
09-28-2011, 08:44 PM
I could have written every word of your post! I don't WANT Punkin to "win" any of their crappy "prizes" and I don't want to bother my friends and family to buy any of their overpriced stuff! I am just getting 2 rolls of paper (that I could use) and a magazine subscription this year, and I REFUSE to feel guilty about it! I really wish they'd come up with a better way to raise money - Punkin's in 2nd grade and I don't want to deal with it another 3 years!

speo
09-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Yeah, I hate Innisbrook and the fact they use children to sell their goods on so many levels. I sent in a letter stating that instead of participating in the fundraiser our family was just going to donate some money.

DrSally
09-28-2011, 09:39 PM
ITA w/your sentiments. I don't want to bother my relatives/friends to buy this overpriced stuff. There was also a food option, but prices were also so inflated and there was no allergy info.

sste
09-28-2011, 09:50 PM
I just write the preschool a check and tell them our family sucks at sales. I think you have to sell a whole lot of that stuff for the school to see even $25-30 so I figure a check in that range is probably welcome.

LMPC
09-28-2011, 10:23 PM
DD isn't into this yet (thank goodness) but every year my nieces hit me up to buy the Innisbrook crap......so annoying! I applaud you guys that just write checks...so much more sane!

HIU8
09-28-2011, 10:31 PM
I have NEVER sold anything for pre-school. We used to do innisbrook. Now we are doing some cookie dough sale thing. I honestly pitch the materials on the way out of the preschool. I work from home. DH works in an office where one person had the lapband procedure and others are obese. Yeah, like I can ask him to sell sweets. As far as the innisbrook. I always thought it was DUMB and CRAPPY. I don't even write a check to the school instead. The school is expensive. I give by volunteering instead.

SnuggleBuggles
09-28-2011, 11:00 PM
The only fundraisers our preschool does are a Barnes and Noble Book Fair and a night of shopping at 10,000 Villages. I can totally handle that!! I wouldn't sell the crap either. The return on most fundraisers is pitiful and I don't understand their appeal!

Beth

karstmama
09-29-2011, 08:51 AM
agree, agree, agree! i just gave the equivalent profit from what target they were asking us to try for. i'm absolutely *not* selling crap.

hellokitty
09-29-2011, 09:00 AM
That's probably the same company that our schools do fundraising with. My kids bring those huge envelopes home, and are excited to tell me that if they sell stuff, they will get, "prizes." It makes me sick. I actually remember them giving us the same propaganda talk when I was in school and forced to sell chocolate bars and was basically told that I couldn't bring them back, so I paid for them with my own $, b/c nobody would buy them. So, needless to say, I HATE fundraisers, they go immediately into the trash. I wish the schools would do better ones, like a read-a-thon, walk-a-thon, etc.. I would definitely participate in something like this, but pushing kids to push ppl to buy crap, when nobody really profits much, other than the company selling the crap is a dumb system.

Uno-Mom
09-29-2011, 09:19 AM
Everybody hates this stuff. Why do they keep doing it? ("They" being the schools, obviously I know why the merchandiser does it.)

There is power in numbers- parents, unite!

ladysoapmaker
09-29-2011, 11:09 AM
Everybody hates this stuff. Why do they keep doing it? ("They" being the schools, obviously I know why the merchandiser does it.)

Because more often then not it's the PTA/PTO that does the sales and they have plenty of time/money for this crap and those of us who don't have time or desire are too busy to join PTA. And these PTA leaders refuse to listen to any other ideas. If it works why should we change? (why yes I'm just a little cynical)

I loved the fundraisers my nephews old school did. They had a fall fundraiser that was a walkathon. So much money for each lap around the school or playground. And then their other fundraiser was right before Christmas and was gift cards. You bought gift cards to lots of different places and the school got a percentage. No other fundraisers.

Jen

AnnieW625
09-29-2011, 11:26 AM
I could have written every word of your post! I don't WANT Punkin to "win" any of their crappy "prizes" and I don't want to bother my friends and family to buy any of their overpriced stuff! I am just getting 2 rolls of paper (that I could use) and a magazine subscription this year, and I REFUSE to feel guilty about it! I really wish they'd come up with a better way to raise money - Punkin's in 2nd grade and I don't want to deal with it another 3 years!

:yeahthat: except DD1 is in kindergarten, and I am ohh so thankful that they gave out the packets at the back to school night so I could just trash the prize list and DD1 never saw it. I ordered a roll of wrapping paper, a thing of bags and tissue paper, and two packages of bows. DD1's god mom bought some stuff as did my mom. Our school has Octoberfest dinner for $25 pp in a couple of weeks and it's being cooked by a local chef. I am looking forward to that. I'd rather spend $50 on a dinner than junk I may not use. The school also does a jog a thon.

SnuggleBuggles
09-29-2011, 11:31 AM
Because more often then not it's the PTA/PTO that does the sales and they have plenty of time/money for this crap and those of us who don't have time or desire are too busy to join PTA. And these PTA leaders refuse to listen to any other ideas. If it works why should we change? (why yes I'm just a little cynical)

Jen

To derail this, as a member of my parent organizations executive committee...if you have an idea of a change suggest it. Better yet, suggest it and offer to help. Nothing I hate more than people who complain but won't put the work in. I think our group is better and we don't have crap fundraisers like this. But, still, somethings get kept b/c they are easy and someone is willing to run them.

Beth

gatorsmom
09-29-2011, 12:31 PM
Ugh! I hate them too! And my parents hated them. My parents wouldn't let us sell magazines. When the magazine people came to our school and started showing us kids all the great prizes we could win by selling magazines to our friends and family, I felt worse than garbage because I knew my parents wouldn't let us participate. I totally get it now. I dont' want to sell anything other than food to my relatives. I LOVE Butterbraids and you can only buy them through fundraisers. I"m also a BIG fan of World's Finest Chocolate. And Boy Scout Popcorn. But the nicknacks and magazines just annoy me.

Ceepa
09-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Everything that doesn't need to get returned (unused/unsold) to the school gets trashed immediately. I would much rather the school ask for funds directly than receive a fraction of the guilt money pulled in by fundraisers.

ladysoapmaker
09-29-2011, 01:36 PM
To derail this, as a member of my parent organizations executive committee...if you have an idea of a change suggest it. Better yet, suggest it and offer to help. Nothing I hate more than people who complain but won't put the work in. I think our group is better and we don't have crap fundraisers like this. But, still, somethings get kept b/c they are easy and someone is willing to run them.

Beth
I have. And I was blown off. unfortunately in our area we have a bunch of former cheerleaders in charge who are trying to regain their former glory. They also seem to forget that a good portion of the families in our schools have both parents working and can't change their hours with less then 24 hours notice when they change plans for pick up of fundraisers. Yes, I'm upset with our group and I feel they have waste a lot of money and instead of helping teachers or the school with better equipment such as books or computers, etc they seem to think that the playground should get new equipment every year. Yeah, I don't have good experience with the local PTA. I'm sure there are great groups out there. like I said my nephew's old school PTO was good and my old high school's PTO was good but here.... not so much.

Jen

SnuggleBuggles
09-29-2011, 05:31 PM
I have. And I was blown off. unfortunately in our area we have a bunch of former cheerleaders in charge who are trying to regain their former glory. They also seem to forget that a good portion of the families in our schools have both parents working and can't change their hours with less then 24 hours notice when they change plans for pick up of fundraisers. Yes, I'm upset with our group and I feel they have waste a lot of money and instead of helping teachers or the school with better equipment such as books or computers, etc they seem to think that the playground should get new equipment every year. Yeah, I don't have good experience with the local PTA. I'm sure there are great groups out there. like I said my nephew's old school PTO was good and my old high school's PTO was good but here.... not so much.

Jen

Shudder....sorry!! I have always been afraid of those groups but luckily ours isn't that way. You have an idea and want to execute it? Great! We'll even help. :) Not a fan of Queen Bees and such here. I always hope they aren't real. At least they have the good grace not to be in my social bubble.

Beth

hellokitty
09-29-2011, 07:10 PM

Jen

Ours is the same way. There are 3 women who run it, I have a close friend who has wanted to run for PTO for two yrs, BOTH yrs, the present PTO decided that they just wouldn't run elections. WTF? How is that even legal in the PTO world? NOBODY attends the PTO mtgs, b/c nobody likes the women in charge. Several have actually told my friend who wants to run for president (she asked me to run with her, I said no, but I would be there to support her in other ways) that if she ran, they would become involved in PTO, but until the current hens got overthrown, nobody wants to have anything to do with PTO. Thus, our PTO continues to do crappy fundraisers each yr, despite the fact that I've made suggestions, and they also love to do the annoying things that BBB moms can't stand, reward everything with junk food or candy. Joy. Can you tell I hate our PT)? Unfortunately, btwn these women, they have like a 10 yr spread in kids of different ages, so they will still be there for a long while and they've basically deemed themselves PTO queens until they decide they don't want to do it, since they've done away with entire election process.

wellyes
09-29-2011, 07:57 PM
Prepackaged fundraisers are easy to coordinate by amateurs and are easy to agree to by committee vote. That's half of why they keep happening. The other half is that people guilt-buy. I know it is well intentioned, but seriously, let's all agree to just end the inane time-suck of companies profiting at our (and the schools) expense. Be strong!!!!

glbb35
09-29-2011, 10:12 PM
Totally get this too! Since they didn't give you anytime to do anything before Monday, oh well I say!!

I hate Innisbrook. Cheap stuff and I hate that they take time out of the kids learning hours to promote this. How is that educational? then they make them feel like crap if they don't bring a certain amount. I felt the same way in school too. I hated selling magazines and the other crap we had to push. In K for ds, we had Innisbrook and at the end of the year the chocolate bars. with the ch bars they sent you home with 20 and you had to sell them or return the unopened ones. Yeah right like any chocolate is going to make it back after you give it to the kids first and in the late spring. DS was wound up and upset if he didn't sell them. So Dh, my sis and my parents bought all and gave him the money to return to school with. then we ate chocolate for weeks. At least it tasted good.

This year they are going with "we know parents hate fundraisers so instead donate $50 and get a bumper sticker and $100 something else." I could do a lot with $50 and I don't want a .50 bumper sticker. x2 kids. I don't think so. I didn't see an option for less, say $25 donation. I will def mention it for next year. It is better than buying crap and doesn't make the kids feel bad though. Don't know what I will do when all 4 are in school!

We have the Scouts popcorn to deal but I actually like that stuff and it is reasonable. Though I loathe going door to do, I make dh do it, it usually sells well and most of the proceeds go to scouting and not into the hands of the crap marketers. I don't know what the solution is for this. I realize they have to earn money on the side but there have t be better options. I do like the walk-a-thon idea!!

B

dogmom
09-30-2011, 08:17 AM

Beth

So if I don't have the time to give I can't give feedback? When talking to people in the SPTO I am fairly blunt about what they do I support and don't support. Half the money they give is for stuff that I don't think adds to the educational quality of the school. I'm also pretty upfront about being willing to write a check, but I'm not going to sell stuff to raise money at this age range. I bristle at the whole "nothing I hate more than people who complain but won't put work in." My experience it is usually used by people who don't want to take criticism or share the power. I realize you don't mean it in that way, but it's one of those pat sayings that have no meaning to me. The way things are set up anything you want to do for the school is through the PTO, so we are sort of backed into a corner if your philosophy does not jive with the organization. (I am still hung up on the flyer for school picnic volunteers that said, "And remember, Dads make great grillers and refs" because us girls could do all the set up and clean up. And the fact that the people that wrote it couldn't see the problem.) My philosophy about any volunteer organization is that sure, it is all volunteer and the people doing the work get to guide the group, but don't be surprised if I don't want to participate based on choices that are made.

In our school the PTO would like to do away with Innsbrook, but their are actually people in town that look forward to the sale every year that have no kids. (Crazy, I know.) So we are doing some hybrid thing this year. It's definitely a no pressure sale thing.

Reina
09-30-2011, 09:11 AM
Fundraising is all well and good. Altruism makes people feel special. But you can't push altruism on people. If someone is not interested in a "cause", you shouldn't force these people (child or parent) into participating in raising funds for it. These little $10, $25 school sales don't help anything. They do not teach children about fundraising or helping a cause. You're just teaching the kids, "if you sell this crap to your relatives and friends' parents, you'll get a reward". This just causes mass frustration and stress more than anything. And the people who benefit from these labored efforts are just the corporations pushing their crap products. It is sad how the people who run these silly small fundraising efforts (be it the corporation, be it the PTO ladies) feel so good about themselves as if they actually make a real difference. In the meantime what they are doing is frustrating the parents and they don't even realize it.

I am very involved in fundraising for 2 organizations. One of them is a children's health related organization, the other is an art academy. (let me disclose: I get no monetary or otherwise compensation from the health organization for my efforts. I do get compensation from the arts academy: tickets to concerts and events several times a year. But no other compensation.)

I constantly get solicited by the likes of Innisbrook type companies to push their products or do these brand name 5K runs. They offer to raise funds for us by bringing our "cause" to the school districts they work with. In the real world of fundraising, we do not go to children or schools or parents for funds. You wanna raise real money? You go to multi million$/billion$ corporations. If you want to teach kids about the real world, or if you want to teach them about making a real difference, you teach the kids how to communicate with big money to raise real cash for a cause. Little efforts do bring about "awareness" to a cause. But awareness should not cause frustration to the individuals being made "aware" of a cause.

I strongly think PTOs should "hire" volunteer consultants and implement their methods if they want to teach the children about fundraising for a cause and involve the parents in a way that will not stress them into despising these efforts. Next month I will be giving a couple seminars in a private school to teach the PTO about effective fundraising. I hope it will change things for the better...

SnuggleBuggles
09-30-2011, 02:42 PM
So if I don't have the time to give I can't give feedback? When talking to people in the SPTO I am fairly blunt about what they do I support and don't support. Half the money they give is for stuff that I don't think adds to the educational quality of the school. I'm also pretty upfront about being willing to write a check, but I'm not going to sell stuff to raise money at this age range. I bristle at the whole "nothing I hate more than people who complain but won't put work in." My experience it is usually used by people who don't want to take criticism or share the power. I realize you don't mean it in that way, but it's one of those pat sayings that have no meaning to me. The way things are set up anything you want to do for the school is through the PTO, so we are sort of backed into a corner if your philosophy does not jive with the organization. (I am still hung up on the flyer for school picnic volunteers that said, "And remember, Dads make great grillers and refs" because us girls could do all the set up and clean up. And the fact that the people that wrote it couldn't see the problem.) My philosophy about any volunteer organization is that sure, it is all volunteer and the people doing the work get to guide the group, but don't be surprised if I don't want to participate based on choices that are made.

In our school the PTO would like to do away with Innsbrook, but their are actually people in town that look forward to the sale every year that have no kids. (Crazy, I know.) So we are doing some hybrid thing this year. It's definitely a no pressure sale thing.

You can suggest but if there isn't a volunteer willing or able to do it then you can't get upset about the choices. We love suggestions. What I really don't like though are people who criticize or are full of solutions but can't help execute the solutions. If you feel passionate about it then you should be involved and try and make it happen.

I'd like to think our parent group is better though and ideas are listened to with a very open ear; especially if we think it is something feasible that the volunteers can pull off.

Beth