PDA

View Full Version : Teach me about flatirons

american_mama
09-29-2011, 01:26 AM
i have never used a flatiron, but I want to buy a cheap one for DD's hair. My DD's are biracial and both have very thick hair, one with tight corkscrew curls going almost to her shoulders an one with puffy, looser curled long hair going past her shoulders.

What are the pros and cons of the different sizes of flat irons (1 inch, 2 inches), etc? It seem like the ironing surface is sometimes ceramic or teflon or tourmaline... why do these mater? What is an effective but low temperature setting?

My girls have never had their hair chemically straightened and I thought flatirons would give us a way to experiment with different looks. I don't think flatirons are very good fr your hair, but it's not something we would do often, so I hope that minimizes the damage.

mjs64
09-29-2011, 01:39 AM
I can answer some of your questions, but there are likely some more knowledgeable mamas out there.

The more expensive the flatiron, usually, the better. The ceramic, etc., coating protects hair from heat damage. My own flatiron (chi) cost upwards of $100.

As for width, it's about 1) precision and 2) time. I have a lot of thick, thick, coarse hair, so a wider flatiron does the job much more quickly. BUT it's much harder to be precise, especially when straightening near the roots. I think with a DC's small head, to avoid contact with her face and scalp, you'd want the narrowest one--but note that then, you can't get as much hair into the iron at one time, therefore the process will take longer. Still, I'd go 1".

As for temperature setting, it's about 1) protecting the hair and 2) time. Hotter temps will get the job done faster but are much more dangerous (obviously) and will damage the hair over time. There are spray-on products that claim to protect the hair from heat damage, but IDK how effective they really are. With a DC, I would start with the lowest setting and go down the hair (from roots to ends) very slowly. You'd have to balance this with her patience level.

But I should warn you that flatirons can be really, really dangerous. Even as an adult, I once left mine plugged in, on the bathroom floor, and then, quite foolishly, STEPPED ON IT. This was the 2nd worst (I won't describe the worst) injury of my life. I had 2nd degree burns on the soles of my feet and toes and had to go to the ER. The ER actually transferred me to a different hospital with a BURN UNIT which then hooked me up to an IV with morphine. It was really, really bad. Of course, there are dangers beyond stepping on it (I'm sure you'd never be so foolish, as I was at 25, to leave it on the floor!). You could leave it plugged in too long; it's easy to burn the scalp and face as well.

If I were using a flatiron for my DC, I'd make it a very, very occasional (if ever) thing, since it takes a long time to get the job done and, as I have maybe overstated, is dangerous. So I'd buy an inexpensive, narrow one (and not worry about heat damage, ceramic, etc.). You'd have to be using it pretty frequently to worry about damaging the hair (which will grow out anyhow). If your DD is very, very patient and really, really wants to try it, go for it. If not, wait.

BabyDahl
09-29-2011, 02:39 AM
Flat irons are also very good for curling hair, creating waves, etc in addition to just straightening. The curls will last longer because flat irons are hotter than curling irons. The 1" size is the best size to do curls (check Youtube or ask your hair stylist to teach you how to do this). If you want to curl hair using a flat iron, do not buy one that has velvet on the backing. My SIL bought one like that at a mall kiosk and I tried to teach her how to curl with it...it was not successful.

More expensive brands are generally going to be better quality and will be less likely to pull hair (snag it in between the plates and the backing). I have a 1" Chi that I love. It's my second one, but I use it 3 times/week and the first lasted a few years. It might be a trade-off for you if your DDs have sensitive scalps: a cheaper one is okay for occasional use, but it may never get used if it pulls their hair too much. Cheaper ones may not get as hot as the nicer ones.

One more thing, when using one on your DDs, remember that the hair will be very hot as you iron each strand. As you iron each piece, be gentle as you release the hair so it doesn't touch their face. The hair can be hot enough to burn skin.

infomama
09-29-2011, 08:47 AM
Don't go cheap with flat irons as the cheaper ones usually pull and don't heat as well. I love my Babyliss Pro Nano Titanium 1 1/4 inch...you can get it lots of places for less than $90. It heats up well and doesn't pull at the hair at all. My stylist also uses them.

MelissaTC
09-29-2011, 09:11 AM
Another suggestion to not go cheap. If your daughters have thick hair, you are going to need a wider paddle and a better quality one as to not damage their hair. It is very easy to damage it. I would suggest spending the money and investing in a GHD or something of that caliber. Also, purchase a protective spray to use before you do their hair. Sally Beauty Supply sells a generic spray that is inexpensive and works well. I use it on my hair.

SpaceGal
09-29-2011, 09:16 AM
I'm not a flatiron pro by any means, and just use mine occasionally, but when I was looking I found a lot of good salon brands (Chi, Babyliss, Rusk, etc.) at Marshalls and TJ Maxx. So maybe you can find a good cheap on there. One thing my hairdresser warned me about is making sure you use good heat tool product in the hair to keep it from damaging.

weech
09-29-2011, 09:21 AM
I'm also biracial and straighten my hair pretty often (though much more infrequently now than before). I use a 1" CHI flat iron and I love it. The larger ones that look like a paddle are too unwieldy in my opinion, especially with tight curls.

Make sure you use a heat protectant (they do help, but they also smoke, so don't let that scare you). Make sure there's not a lot of product in their hair when you straighten it (maybe just a leave-in conditioner and the heat protectant). A lot of products will make their hair stick straight (as in stiff) or will flake off.

You'll definitely need lots of patience. To really do a good job straightening my hair (which is some tight waves and mostly loser curls, very voluminous and on the longer side) can take 3 hours. Any salon I've been to will straighten hair with a round brush and blow dryer first, and finish with the flat iron, but I've never had the skill to do that. I usually tie mine back tight when it's wet (to pull out some of the curl) and then flat iron when dry. Unless you have a wet-to-dry flat iron (which I don't recommend), make sure the hair is dry before you start!

HTH!

arivecchi
09-29-2011, 10:39 AM
Agree with PP. Do NOT get a cheap flatiron! It will damage your DC's hair!

I have this one and it is amazing and not pricey. Totally worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/BaByliss-BABP2559-Porcelain-Ceramic-Silver/dp/B000PB2XHM/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1317307069&sr=8-6

american_mama
09-29-2011, 11:10 AM
Ok, I'm actually rather terrified right now. I have never been that good at using hair dryers or curling irons on my own hair, and my attempts at using a hair dryer on my kids hair have been even less successful. I didn't visualize my fumbling attempts plus a hot hot flatiron. I am thinking I don't have the dexterity and technique to use a flatiron and produce an aesthetically pleasing or safe result.

For DD2, with the corkscrew curls, it's really hard to get to her roots. Her hair is just so dense. They generally complain about the heat when their hair is blown dry (which it rarely is, which is why they are not used to it). I also didn't think about the time... I spend tons of time on hair as it is, and my curiosity about flatironing is not enough for me to put 3 hours into it. Even when a salon blows out their hair prior to braiding it, that takes 45ish minutes in the hands of a pro.

Maybe I'll direct my efforts towards getting good at blowouts. I'm scared off of the flatiron.

Globetrotter
09-29-2011, 12:52 PM
I'm not sure if you are interested in this at all, but have you considered leaving it curly and "no-pooing"? (wash with conditioner only, which makes it less frizzy) I believe this is a good book, but i haven't read it:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/076115678X/ref=asc_df_076115678X1724172?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=076115678X

And then you could do blowouts from time to time for special occasions, or whatever.

Ceepa
09-29-2011, 12:57 PM
Personally I would be terrified to use a flatiron on a child.

fauve01
09-29-2011, 11:39 PM
Personally I would be terrified to use a flatiron on a child.

:yeahthat: