PDA

View Full Version : Is this party favor okay? Or do I need to add more?

Corie
09-29-2011, 08:27 AM
My 2 kids are having a combo birthday party. The ages at the party
will be in a range of 6 - 9 years. We are renting out the roller skating
rink and only our guests will be there. The rink won't be open to
the public during our party.

We are inviting 50 kids. DD is inviting 25 kids and DS is inviting 25 kids

I just ordered the party favors yesterday.

Each kid will get a pair (2) of roller skate soap. I ordered 50 pairs
of soap in various colors and scents.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/66172301/rink-rolling-clean-fun-set-of-5-pairs-of?ref=sr_gallery_5&ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=roller+skate+soap&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_ship_to=US&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

The Etsy seller is wrapping the soaps up in cellophane bags and tying
them with matching ribbons. (The ribbon color will match the
soap color.)

Is this party favor okay or do I need to add more to it??
I'm getting differing opinions from the 4 people that I asked IRL.

Thanks!

DietCokeLover
09-29-2011, 08:32 AM
I think it is a great gift. You don't need more.

Twoboos
09-29-2011, 08:33 AM
I think it is a great gift. You don't need more.

:yeahthat: And I'm going to keep that Etsy seller in mind - too cute!

Kymberley
09-29-2011, 08:36 AM
Those are really cute! You don't need more. Just be sure to tell the kids it's soap. I can see *someone* in this house trying to eat it because it kind of resembles gummy candies.

mom2binsd
09-29-2011, 09:05 AM
That's cute!

You are having a huge party, I"m assuming paying for all those kids to roller skate and will have cake and drinks right? That's enough!

bubbaray
09-29-2011, 09:05 AM
I'd do more. I think the soaps are super cute, but I think some kids/parents would think soap is a strange gift, KWIM?

What about rollerskate candy? You could get this mold and make chocolate or other candy: http://www.etsy.com/listing/77999696/roller-skate-bg249-flexible-silicone?ref=sr_gallery_6&ga_search_query=skate+candy&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=CA&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

These buttons are cute: http://www.etsy.com/listing/68334775/10-roller-skate-1-inch-buttons-or?ref=sr_gallery_30&ga_search_query=roller+skate&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=CA&ga_page=4&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

Here are some roller skate crayons: http://www.etsy.com/listing/76951499/roller-skate-scribblers-set-of-7-2nd?ref=sr_gallery_40&ga_search_query=roller+skate&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=CA&ga_page=14&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

bubbaray
09-29-2011, 09:06 AM
You are having a huge party, I"m assuming paying for all those kids to roller skate and will have cake and drinks right? That's enough!

I think this really depends on the norm in your area. Very nice loot bags are the norm in my area. Kids wouldn't leave until they got something, LOL.

MelissaTC
09-29-2011, 09:15 AM
Does your rink do video games/skeeball/etc.. also? I know ours did so all the kids got tokens to play and then they traded them in for the junky prizes. They loved it. If so, I would leave it at that. If not, I would do a bag of your kids favorite candy. That is what I did for M's goody bags. I also included a gc to Baskin Robbins.

g-mama
09-29-2011, 09:15 AM
I am of the mindset that favors are optional. I did not give out favors for my oldest son's 9th or 10th birthday parties. The kids didn't miss a thing. But it could be the age - younger kids might be different. I have done it for my younger two, but will phase them out as well.

BUT...as cute as the soaps are - and they are really cute - I don't know that my sons or their male friends would be as into them as *I* would be, or girls might be. So, IMO, if you are going to do a favor, you probably should include a little something, like a piece of candy, that the kids will be happy about.

sidmand
09-29-2011, 10:32 AM
BUT...as cute as the soaps are - and they are really cute - I don't know that my sons or their male friends would be as into them as *I* would be, or girls might be. So, IMO, if you are going to do a favor, you probably should include a little something, like a piece of candy, that the kids will be happy about.

I think I would go with no favors (not an option anymore I realize!) or something in addition. I think those are super cute but I'm not sure that age range of boys/girls would think so or be so happy with soap.

mommylamb
09-29-2011, 10:51 AM
If I were the mom of one of the kids attending your party, I would be relieved to get the soap as a favor. I have goody bags. Just more crap in my house that I do not want.

Jo..
09-29-2011, 10:53 AM
I think the moms will love the favor and the kids will wonder why you gave them soap. :hysterical:

I'd add a small toy or something fun or edible for the children.

MissyL11
09-29-2011, 10:59 AM
I would be happy if my child got that as a party favor. I think the soap is fine...

Corie
09-29-2011, 01:24 PM

I totally hear what you are saying. Most of the older kids will
be girls. There will only be about 7 older boys. I guess they will
just have to deal with getting soap.

Now, my 6 yr. old son LOVES the soap idea! :) He is very excited to pass it out to all his friends. Hopefully his guy friends will be of like mind.

vludmilla
09-29-2011, 01:24 PM
I agree with PP that a lot depends on the norm in your area. At the last two birthday parties we attended, DD received at one a favor of (Disney pajamas, her own helium filled balloon, various candy, and a small gift certficate for a meal at the restaurant) at the party just before that she received a favor of a personalized, decent quality jewelry box with lots od fairly nice kid jewelry and personlized candy lollipops). I shudder to think of what I'll feel pressured to do when I finally do a kid party for DD :(

Corie
09-29-2011, 01:26 PM

Yes, we are renting out the entire roller rink just for us and the
kids party. We are having cake and drinks.

I'm also passing out glow necklaces for the kids to wear while
skating but I don't really count those as party favors.

logan's mom
09-29-2011, 01:28 PM
LOVE the soap. Not sure the kids will get it.

What about grabbing some of those glow in the dark necklaces and bracelets for the kids to have during the party. You can find them anywhere since it's Halloween time, or order them online. I know Oriental Trading has 50 packs. I think it could look really cool to have them all skating around in the dim lights with the necklaces glowing.

Corie
09-29-2011, 01:30 PM
I agree with PP that a lot depends on the norm in your area. At the last two birthday parties we attended, DD received at one a favor of (Disney pajamas, her own helium filled balloon, various candy, and a small gift certficate for a meal at the restaurant) at the party just before that she received a favor of a personalized, decent quality jewelry box with lots od fairly nice kid jewelry and personlized candy lollipops). I shudder to think of what I'll feel pressured to do when I finally do a kid party for DD :(

Yikes!! Those are some serious party favors!! Nothing like that is
done in our area!

Globetrotter
09-29-2011, 01:58 PM
f (Disney pajamas, her own helium filled balloon, various candy, and a small gift certficate for a meal at the restaurant) at the party just before that she received a favor of a personalized, decent quality jewelry box with lots od fairly nice kid jewelry and personlized candy lollipops). I shudder to think of what I'll feel pressured to do when I finally do a kid party for DD

:eek: That is simply insane.. are you in Manhattan? I have seen pics of my friend's sister's parties in the city, and it's like you describe. I couldn't handle that kind of pressure.

vludmilla
09-29-2011, 02:11 PM
:eek: That is simply insane.. are you in Manhattan? I have seen pics of my friend's sister's parties in the city, and it's like you describe. I couldn't handle that kind of pressure.

No, but I am in a suburb very close to Manhattan and a lot of the parents of DD's friends used to live in the city and still work there. I wish it was more laid back and to be sure some of these parents are very down to earth people (hard to believe, I know) but I think their expectations have become skewed by living and working in Manhattan for years. One of my neighbors has an 8 year old daughter who was invited to a birthday party at which the girls had lunch at a Japanese restaurant (expensive) and then went to a salon for pedicures, manicures and make-up. The salon was closed for the party. I'm sure the favors were nuts there too but I never heard the follow up on that story.

Pennylane
09-29-2011, 02:27 PM
I think the soap is cute, but agree with others that some kids just won't get it. But honestly, who cares!!! You've invited them to a super fun party and that should be enough. Don't think another thing about it, or add anything to it.

Ann

lucybabymamma
09-29-2011, 02:49 PM
Good grief! All these over the top favors actually make me feel sick to my stomach.
The soap is cute and such a nice gesture. If kids don't get it or parents don't think it's enough -- that is their problem and a ridiculous standard to set. I think the best FAVOR you can do is keeping the favors reasonable: It will make it that much easier for a family that cannot afford to do something over the top for their child feel okay about doing what they can when it's their turn.
Plus, I guarantee there will be a few moms out there relieved to have something that can be used, rather than tossed.

Corie
09-29-2011, 03:28 PM
Plus, I guarantee there will be a few moms out there relieved to have something that can be used, rather than tossed.

That's what my good friend, Susan said.

Aarohismom
09-29-2011, 03:53 PM
I love the idea, I am sure your DD's friends will love those soaps.

Melaine
09-29-2011, 04:00 PM
I think the moms will love the favor and the kids will wonder why you gave them soap. :hysterical:

I'd add a small toy or something fun or edible for the children.

:yeahthat: I don't want to say that the soap isn't enough, because that soap is awesome! I just think some kids will think it is a strange thing to get in a goodybag and might expect more.

MotownMom
09-29-2011, 05:23 PM
I love cool soaps (got a ton at the Cambria Cove closing sale), but I honestly would never give soap as a present to a child. I vote no goody bag, just enjoy the skating, cake and glow bracelets/necklaces.

SnuggleBuggles
09-29-2011, 06:04 PM
I let people on here have me second guess my soap idea for ds1's b-day this summer and I totally regret it. It's super cute and you can't please everyone. Soap+ something small and edible gets my vote. Roller skate lolipops? I'm sure someone makes those,

Beth

MMMommy
09-29-2011, 06:11 PM
I think any kid should consider themselves lucky to go to a fun roller skating party, not to mention bringing home a cute, colorful soap favor. Sure, kids might not think soap is fun, but it is practical and the parents will appreciage not taking home another bag of plastic stuff. I wouldn't spend any more to supplement the soap favors. Most junky favors get tossed a few days later anyways.

boilermakermom
09-29-2011, 06:48 PM
Super cute! If you are looking for something else small, what about the glow in the dark necklaces or bracelets? I have seen them at michaels for $1. I think there were 5 in a pack.

Corie
09-29-2011, 07:55 PM
I think some of you may have misunderstood my original post.

I am not questioning my kids' choice for the brightly colored/deliciously
scented/lightly glittered roller skate-shaped soaps.
I love their idea of the roller skate soap! (And I have no idea
whether their friends will love it, hate it or think it is totally weird!
My kids think all their friends will love the soap as much as they do!
Eternal optimists. :) )

The soap has already been purchased and it's in the process of
being made.

My question was asking if the soap party favor was good enough
on it's own or if it needed something else to go with it.

I've decided the roller skate soap is THE party favor and I'm not going to add anything else.

Thanks for your opinions!

fivi2
09-29-2011, 07:58 PM
I think some of you may have misunderstood my original post.

I am not questioning my kids' choice for the brightly colored/deliciously
scented/lightly glittered roller skate-shaped soaps.
I love their idea of the roller skate soap! (And I have no idea
whether their friends will love it, hate it or think it is totally weird!
My kids think all their friends will love the soap as much as they do!
Eternal optimists. :) )

The soap has already been purchased and it's in the process of
being made.

My question was asking if the soap party favor was good enough
on it's own or if it needed something else to go with it.

I've decided the roller skate soap is THE party favor and I'm not going to add anything else.

Thanks for your opinions!

I think the soap will be fun! (did you settle on a poem to deter the eating of said soap? ;) ) I also think it is plenty.

billysmommy
09-29-2011, 08:18 PM
The soaps are really cool and the kids will be able to remember the party every time they use it :)

Momit
09-29-2011, 08:36 PM
Super cute! I never would have thought to look for favors on Etsy. And by the way - can I come to your party? :)

California
09-29-2011, 08:40 PM
Yay for the soap! I think you are making a great choice. No food allergies to worry about, and honestly most favors get played with five seconds and then get lost in the bottom of the toy box. Yours at least will get used up!

Corie
09-29-2011, 08:43 PM
Super cute! I never would have thought to look for favors on Etsy. And by the way - can I come to your party? :)

I buy *everything* from Etsy!! :D

sandwish
09-29-2011, 08:49 PM
My DD(6) just started skating and thinks they are totally cool. I'm sure the etsy person would add a sticker otherwise I would just make sure people know it was soap. They look good enough to eat. Awesome idea.

KrisM
09-29-2011, 09:19 PM
I showed the picture to my 7.5 year old boy and he thought they looked really cool.

Melanie
09-29-2011, 11:43 PM
Those are really cute! You don't need more. Just be sure to tell the kids it's soap. I can see *someone* in this house trying to eat it because it kind of resembles gummy candies.

:yeahthat:

MamaInMarch
09-30-2011, 02:50 AM
Those are freaking awesome! I am totally stealing this for DS's 3rd birthday. Nice!!!