PDA

View Full Version : What to do: feel pressured to buy fundraiser stuff!

foodiezen
09-29-2011, 12:04 PM
I realize this is probably from a prospective of not being there yet, but I feel so pressured from friends' children selling things for one fundraiser after another. Seems endless...all I want to do is say "no!" but I always cave and buy. I am usually okay with saying no to acquaitances but not to friends (even not so close ones). Do you guys have any advice?
TIA
Katherine

Jo..
09-29-2011, 12:08 PM
My DS's school sent home a fundraising packet. I would have likely bought a few things.

However, there was a note attached that each family was expected to buy or sell a minimum of 15 items. That pissed me off, and I threw the package in the garbage without ordering a single item.

High pressure might guilt some parents, but the tactics backfired on me. They lost my business.

ABO Mama
09-29-2011, 12:19 PM
I hate funraiser stuff. I also hate the school photos that we're expected to buy; I prefer our own candid pics. I give a one time check at the begining of the school year.

ha98ed14
09-29-2011, 12:46 PM
How about saying something like, "You know, I already have so much "stuff" and I'm trying to declutter/ keep only the essentials, but I will happily donate $5 to your fundraiser." And then just give them $5. Unless of course it is GS Cookies. Then you better give $7 and buy a box! ;)

Ceepa
09-29-2011, 12:49 PM
I would say, "Oh, no thank you, we don't need anything right now." I'm mean, but I don't feel obligated to support every school in the area or help kids get to some arbitrary selling goal set by the fundraising company.

Octobermommy
09-29-2011, 01:30 PM
I would just say " no, thank you". I don't buy from friend's children and more importantly I don't ask them to buy from mine. We do strictly family only.

kdeunc
09-29-2011, 01:55 PM
I would just say " no, thank you". I don't buy from friend's children and more importantly I don't ask them to buy from mine. We do strictly family only.
:yeahthat: Family only here too. We do sell popcorn for scouts and I make a blanket announcement that we are selling and if anyone wants it they let us know. Otherwise I don't ask.

BabyH
09-29-2011, 01:58 PM
I usually cave and buy, but I do not go overboard at all. I do it because it's kind of a rite of passage, don't you think? I did it, my kids will do it, everyone fundraises at one time or another.

candaceb
09-29-2011, 02:04 PM
I have a rule that if someone asks me directly (not sending out a mass email or posting the sheet/catalog in a public place), then I will give or spend $10. I don't have a big family so that probably helps keep things in check, but this strategy seems to work pretty well.

wellyes
09-29-2011, 02:29 PM
I only buy what I want.... maybe 1/4-1/3 of the stuff "offered". I don't feel guilty about that.

ThreeofUs
09-29-2011, 04:53 PM
I . Hate . This .

They sell carp and I won't be blackmailed into buying it. Frankly, I'd much rather give them a $5 check - bc that's MORE than they'd get from me anyway.

And high-pressure sales? Nope, I'm with Jo. Push me to buy and you lost my business.

maylips
09-29-2011, 05:15 PM
I also hate this, especially because the school (or whatever the cause is) probably only gets 40% of the funds raised while the rest goes to the for-profit company.

I would just rather give money at the beginning of the year than be continually obligated to sell stuff.

katydid1971
09-29-2011, 05:38 PM
I have a rule that if someone asks me directly (not sending out a mass email or posting the sheet/catalog in a public place), then I will give or spend $10. I don't have a big family so that probably helps keep things in check, but this strategy seems to work pretty well.
:yeahthat: I know it stinks just as much to sell that stuff as it does to buy it but now all these organizations need it more than ever. The PTO at DS's school is paying to keep a teacher on staff, I think that is pretty important stuff.