PDA

View Full Version : At what age would you no longer use a double?

Momto1
09-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Semi-hypothetical question here: if you had a newborn and an almost-three year old, would you have a need for a double stroller?

If you were travelling (via airplane) with a newborn and the 35-month old, would you need a double?

I'm thinking I'm going to be fine with a single (BJCM or Quest) for the older LO during the trip and a sling for the newborn. (and trust me, there is no way we can get away with not flying with a newborn... this is a unique situation)

After the trip, I guess we can figure out how things work for our new family.

But the bigger question here is - if your LOs are 3 years apart, did you get a double?

ElspethCordelia
09-29-2011, 12:56 PM
I think I would be more likely to get a sit n stand or buggy board at that age difference.

hoodlims
09-29-2011, 01:08 PM
When I flew with my newborn, I brought a snap n go and ended up just wearing her in my Beco. So I would say, bring the single, and bring a carrier.

mecawa
09-29-2011, 01:33 PM
When DD3 arrives in a little less than 2 months, DD2 will be just under 3 (turns 3 in January). I haven't bought anything just yet, I'm trying to hold out and see if i will actually need a double. I think it really depends on the kid. We are leaning towards getting one. My DD2 still naps very regularly, and falls asleep on outings a lot. However if I had had DD2 when DD1 was 3 we wouldn't have gotten a double (they're 5 yrs apart, so of course I didn't have one with them) we would have had absolutely no need for one, she would have walked or the baby would have gone in my baby bjorn and dd1 in the stroller if absolutely necessary. DD1 was so not into the stroller at age 3 and was extremely mature but DD2 still uses it quiet a bit. So I really think it depends on your particular LO.

As for the flying thing, if i needed to fly with this new baby and DD2 I think I could get away with the sling and single, especially if my DH was with me. When we flew with DD2 as a newborn I just brought her carseat/infant carrier and the baby bjorn no stroller at all as DD1 was 5.

MommyAllison
09-29-2011, 04:29 PM
My first two kids are exactly 2.5 years apart and we definitely used and needed our double. When DD turned 5, we declared the end of her stroller days, though on occasion she still rides (like when we walked to the zoo, stayed all day and walked home - she rode). DS & DD2 will be 3.5 years apart, probably exactly, and we are definitely going to use our double again. We walk on/across very busy roads though, sometimes for quite long distances, and need the kids to be safe and contained.

For the flying situation - I wouldn't take a double if it was just for the airport, I'd rather wear the newborn and put the 3 yr old in a stroller. If I was going to want the double at the destination though, I'd definitely take it.

roseyloxs
09-29-2011, 05:06 PM
You already have a single so I would continue to use that and the carrier and see how it works out for you. Your lifestyle and where you use a stroller are really going to determine if you need one or not.

GvilleGirl
09-29-2011, 08:36 PM
Can't help you with the everyday, but I have flown a bunch with my now 10mo and 2.5yo and we always use our quest. That said, I don't have a runner for a 2.5yo. She knows that she has to hold the strap of the quest or I push her and bjorn #2.