PDA

View Full Version : strollers for subway use: Stairs

susycupones
09-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Hello!
I'm a mom to be and I live in NYC. In this glamorous city we have to use a lot of stairs for the subway (sometimes 2 or 3 floors) and I'm looking for a stroller since newborn that could be easily move to get public transportation and that folds easily to get into the bus.
Any recomendations??
Thanks

arivecchi
09-29-2011, 02:18 PM
I think you will need a good baby carrier so you can carry your baby up and down the stairs. Once baby is older, maybe get an umbrella stroller that you can easily fold as you climb or descend the stairs.

Kaylee31
09-29-2011, 03:18 PM
I think the Micralite Toro would be a good choice for someone who uses PT often. It has a pretty easy standing fold, and you can pull it behind you, and bump the rear air tires down stairs. Not sure what your budget is, but you find Toros cheaper than retail on Ebay or CL.
Baby Gizmo review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqQmS4H48ug

Minnifer
09-29-2011, 04:06 PM
Fellow NYC mom here - for the first few months I put the baby in a carrier, as PP suggested, even to go up and down the stairs even if I was using a stroller (I've never been comfortable doing the carry-the-stroller-w/kid-in-it-up-and-down-stairs thing). As you've probably seen out and about, Maclarens tend to be the umbrella stroller of choice here both generally and for public transportation, but I can't recall if any of the lighter ones can be used from birth, I think most are for 3+ months. I had a Mac Quest for DD at 3 months but don't love Macs b/c I kick the back, so at some point I switched to a Silver Cross Fizz and have also considered an Uppa Baby G-Luxe (suitable for 3+ months). I have a couple of friends who used a BJCM from birth since it folds so easily, but it's heavier so it's a tradeoff... if you were going to consider something like that you could also consider a Britax B-Agile. Personally, during the (pretty difficult) first 3 months of frequent nursing/napping etc it wound up that I was mostly staying in my hood so public transportation wasn't much of an issue until a time when I could use one of the 3+ months strollers.

karstmama
09-29-2011, 05:02 PM
do nyc subways have elevators? i know dc ones do, and i'd think nyc would but i don't ever remember seeing them. then again, i wasn't looking for them, either.

Minnifer
09-29-2011, 06:57 PM
do nyc subways have elevators? i know dc ones do, and i'd think nyc would but i don't ever remember seeing them. then again, i wasn't looking for them, either.

Only a few stations do - it stinks! :thumbsdown:

mmommy
09-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Another NYC mom. I used a carrier almost exclusively for the first 6 months, and after that either a carrier or a Mac Quest. I went all over town with DD when she was very young, and the carrier (I used an Ergo) was totally the way to go. In fact, I'd recommend waiting on a stroller purchase until your LO is born, and then you can test drive them with a better understanding of your new reality.

Reina
09-29-2011, 08:39 PM
Hi! NYC mom here as well.
I agree with minnifer & mmommy. Carrier is the way to go for the first few months. Especially since your baby is going to be a winter baby, you'll do great with a baby carrier. I had a Baby Bjorn for the first 6-7 months then got an Ergo. During our first winter used the carseat in our Inglesina Zippy quite a bit as well. But I should disclose, we VERY rarely use public transportation with our kid. The Zippy is great for the streets and the park. And it is a fantastic all around stroller. Huge fan!. But it is not a great public transportation stroller. Especially once the baby starts to move about, carrying a 20+ lb baby and a 20lb stroller gets cumbersome.
We have a Mac Triumph now. My son is 25 months. He LOVES it. I love it.
Good luck !!!
I would highly recommend joining Big City Moms. It's a great local resource.

Nooknookmom
10-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Hi! NYC mom here as well.
I agree with minnifer & mmommy. Carrier is the way to go for the first few months. Especially since your baby is going to be a winter baby, you'll do great with a baby carrier. I had a Baby Bjorn for the first 6-7 months then got an Ergo. During our first winter used the carseat in our Inglesina Zippy quite a bit as well. But I should disclose, we VERY rarely use public transportation with our kid. The Zippy is great for the streets and the park. And it is a fantastic all around stroller. Huge fan!. But it is not a great public transportation stroller. Especially once the baby starts to move about, carrying a 20+ lb baby and a 20lb stroller gets cumbersome.
We have a Mac Triumph now. My son is 25 months. He LOVES it. I love it.
Good luck !!!
I would highly recommend joining Big City Moms. It's a great local resource.

Not in NYC but....I have to second the Zippy for ease of use on pub. trans. We live in LA suburbs and I took DD into the city via our rail/subway line alot. I have to switch trains a couple times and it was super easy. The Zippy is awesome. Easy to maneuver, one hand fold and I would bop it up/down the stairs as needed., although we do have lots of elevators.

I know Macs are subway gold but the Mac fold bugs me and they r sooo tippy, I'd rather have a sturdy stroller with a ton of features like the Zippy, plus the wheels for NYC are much better than Mac.

I also traveled alot with it, and until Delta was kind enough to bust off my snack tray & hood, all went fine!