PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Couponing - Coupon Service?

ChefGirl
09-29-2011, 12:27 PM
I watched an hour and half of Extreme Couponing on TLC last night. I'm kind of inspired! However, where do you get all those Sunday paper inserts? I just have one copy wiht our paper. What coupon services are out there?? Someone educate me!

ETA:
Thanks for everyone's response. I'm totally not trying to stockpile on anything at all. Don't have the space to began with...besides, I'm just happy to get a few coupons to use on my trip to the grocery stores/Target, etc. I do use the coupons.com site and smartsource.com site, etc.....just curious how these extreme couponers get their 100+ coupons on one product. Mind bottling.....

scrooks
09-29-2011, 01:01 PM
I know you can find coupon clipping services online but the coupons cost money. This is my one BIG complaint about those shows...they NEVER factor in the cost of the coupons in there "totals". That and I can't ever imagine going up to a checkout person and telling them that I am going to have 20 seperate transactions! :dizzy:

Pennylane
09-29-2011, 02:40 PM
There was a big article in our Sundays paper about a recent episode of Extreme Couponers that took place at Lowes Foods in North Carolina. Basically it said that Lowes broke it's coupon policy to allow this episode to be filmed there and now management was regretting it big time!

As far as buying coupons, a few of my friends use The Coupon Clippers website or eBay to purchase them.

Ann

LD92599
09-29-2011, 02:47 PM
Dollar store usually has the sunday paper for $1.

Kungjo
09-29-2011, 02:56 PM
Yeah, they don't show how they get the coupons or factor in the cost of the coupon.

Once, I passed by a self serve newspaper machine and there was a lady there taking out ALL the coupon inserts in all the newspapers. Maybe some of them get it that way? I'm not saying that all the extreme couponers are doing that, but I'm pretty sure that it was theft what this lady was doing. I had my DDs with me so there was no way I was going to confront her, but I woudl be pretty mad if I went to that machine to get the paper for coupons and they were all stolen.

clc053103
09-29-2011, 03:00 PM
I also love the fact these people claim they eat free....yet they never buy produce, fresh meats or much diary?

I love a bargain as much as the next guy, and I may buy a few extra if it's a good deal. But I think these whacks that stockpile more toilet paper and detergent than they can use in a life time shouldn't be glorified with this show. I always love when they show the people who give the extras to the food bank or shelter. Their stockpile has a purpose.

I am going to assume that you want to save on items you will use vs. Stockpile! If you google coupon cutting services, there's lots out there. You could also dumpster dive on Sunday nights....really, they showed one woman doing that!

scrooks
09-29-2011, 03:01 PM
Yeah, they don't show how they get the coupons or factor in the cost of the coupon.

Once, I passed by a self serve newspaper machine and there was a lady there taking out ALL the coupon inserts in all the newspapers. Maybe some of them get it that way? I'm not saying that all the extreme couponers are doing that, but I'm pretty sure that it was theft what this lady was doing. I had my DDs with me so there was no way I was going to confront her, but I woudl be pretty mad if I went to that machine to get the paper for coupons and they were all stolen.

I think they recently prosecuted a woman for doing that. I don't remember which state it was in ...

mikala
09-29-2011, 03:03 PM
I have a friend that made friends with people at the local coffeeshop. They save the coupon inserts from any unsold papers and she picks them up on Mondays, buys a coffee and tips well. She said it's a win-win because she treats herself to coffee and still comes out ahead with the coupons.

boltfam
09-29-2011, 03:04 PM
Do you have any friends or family that don't coupon who would share their inserts? I get an extra set of coupon inserts from my mom.

There are services that you can subscribe to that help you match the deals with coupons(many being online). I have used both http://www.thegrocerygame.com/ and http://www.savingsangel.com/. You could look and see if they're in your area. They both have a free trial period (at least they did when I signed up).

You could try it for a while to get the hang of it and then use http://moneysavingmom.com/ like I do to get online coupons. She also has a section where she matches some of the best deals of the week both at regional stores and at big box/drugstores for FREE!

I have no idea how you can find out, but if you can find a blogger in your area, that would be helpful to to find the best deals in your area.

ladysoapmaker
09-29-2011, 04:00 PM
There are several website that offer coupons that you can printout for free. (other then your cost for paper & ink)

Red Plum & the other coupon insert in the papers. Of course I'm blanking on the name and the websites are bookmarked on my home computer.

Target also offers some coupons on there website and if you have a grocery card some grocery stories will put the coupons on them. I know krogers does in my area. Not sure which others do.

My biggest complaint with coupons is that it's for mostly highly processed foods and I tend to make my food from scratch. Though the coupons I get from krogers for meat & veggies is nice. (I get them for using the kroger plus card when shopping, they track my purchases and send me coupons based on my purchases.)

Jen

waitingforgrace
09-29-2011, 04:24 PM
If you're new to couponing start small. You can always ask a neighbor or friend for theirs if they don't use them. You can buy a second paper, generally somewhere will sell them for a dollar. There are websites that give you a coupon insert preview of what will likely be in the coupons and you can decide if you want to buy an extra paper that week. Another option is to find a friend who likes to coupon and then you can swap for what you want.

I use coupons regularly but not to an extreme by any means and have never had a reason to use a clipping service.

ETA: you should check out hip2save.com, it's a great blog and she has a couponing 101 video series that will answer lots of your questions.