PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Cyst

pinkmomagain
09-29-2011, 12:28 PM
So sometimes I'll get a cyst on my face (I guess cystic acne)...I've gone to get a cortisone shot a couple of times when they've caused alot of swelling.

So lucky me, I seem to have gotten one again today...of course my derm, who is Jewish, is out of the office.

Any suggestions of what I can do on my own? I'm trying to ice it and I think it's taking the swelling down a bit. I can feel a bit of a tender gland under my jaw on the same side of the face as the cyst.

Do you think I should continue to ice and just hope it heals on its own eventually, or should I be calling around trying to find a derm who can give me an appt today?

Any experience or advice, I'd really appreciate!

lovin2shop
09-29-2011, 12:50 PM
My derm will not get you in for a cortisone injection unless you're a current patient and have been seen within the last year. I know this because I tried to go in a week ago, and they made me wait a day for a full appointment. I'm still dealing with the aftermath, as I couldn't help but mess with it in between getting in for the injection. If you can't get in right away, really try to leave it alone. Ice is good, I also used topical cortisone, but it was still awful. Sorry, I really hate cystic acne!

If it is a regular problem, you might talk to your derm about a prescription for Spironolactone. It has done wonders for my hormonal based cystic acne.

pinkmomagain
09-29-2011, 12:58 PM
Thanks for commiserating. Have never had an issue with this until my 40s. I started taking zinc and have been trying to avoid dairy and wheat...and it seemed to have been helping a bit. But this one popped up out of nowhere.

I'm going to try to just ice it and, like you said, not mess with it...maybe I can get an appt tomorrow or (more likely) Monday.

lovin2shop
09-29-2011, 01:03 PM
Yep, my derm said that Cystic Acne, especially on the chin, is very common in women in their late thirties and early forties because of the hormone fluctuations. I was getting one at least every other week, so by the time one healed a new one would pop up. Since it was very cyclical and unrelenting, she convinced me to go on the medication, and so far, I'm quite impressed.

robinsmommy
09-29-2011, 01:37 PM
I've never know of anyone else to use it this way, but I use Arnica gel (from the health food store) on my cysts. A bit during the day, but put a big glob on at night before bed. Not quite as instant as a cortisone injection, but it increases the blood circ and gets the inflammation down.

I think it is normally used for inflammation, bruising, and over-use injuries from sports. I prefer Arniflora, made by a European company. Don't get the cream - not what you want for acne-prone skin.

pinkmomagain
09-29-2011, 02:29 PM
Oooh, thanks robinsmommy. I am going to run out and get it now!

erv917
09-29-2011, 02:56 PM
Instead of icing, I would actually try a hot compress (very warm water on a washcloth works well). My understanding is that cystic acne is fluid filled, and this will cause it to "come to a head" more quickly (gross, I know).

Good luck!