PDA

View Full Version : Calling Peanut, egg and Soy FA Moms...Some Help Please?

ccather
09-29-2011, 03:11 PM
My son wanted a playdate with two of his friends for his birthday at our house. One of the boys has allergies to egg, peanuts and soy. She offered to bring a cupcake for the little guy, but since he is our guest, I feel it is only right to accommodate his allergies. Nevermind the fact that I want him to be safe in our home!

I decided to scrub the cupcakes/birthday cake (that egg allergy) in favor of Rice Krispie Treats and some fondue (they can dip the treats, strawberries and some marshmallows!) I also picked up the lego man silicon mold to make some mini figs.

I checked my chocolate today....sigh....the Giradeli has soy lecethin in it and the Nestle's has soy lecethin and is made in a facility that process peanuts....oh geez...I just check the Hershey's is out too! <head thwack>

So I'm looking for suggestions on safe chocolate (my son loves it and I thought the dipping would be fun for the boys) as well as any thoughts on dessert type food suggestions!

For lunch/snack I'm thinking sam'iches (no mustard since FA boy is allergic to that too!), fruit and some chips. I just want to have a nice dessert type thing for the happy birthday part.

At least the marshmallows are safe...

Thank you!

bubbaray
09-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Honestly, I would never let my FA children eat homemade food in another person's home without me being there. I would provide a treat myself. FWIW, I would cancel a PD if someone wouldn't agree to my request that my child ONLY eat what I provide. Period.

Its nice that you are wanting to feed the child, but there is more at stake. The child needs to learn that it is only safe to eat what his parents provide. JMHO.

Clarity
09-29-2011, 03:24 PM
Enjoy Life brand choc chips are free of those allergens. They are harder to find but I've found them at our largest grocer and a few health food stores.

Clarity
09-29-2011, 03:27 PM
Enjoy Life brand choc chips are free of those allergens. They are harder to find but I've found them at our largest grocer and a few health food stores.

ETA: I actually agree with Melissa's sentiment, it's hard to place your child's life in someone else's hands. BUT I think you rock for trying to plan something that accommodates your son's friends needs!

ccather
09-29-2011, 03:33 PM
Bubbaray....thank you for your perspective.

I have emailed his mom to get specifics once she mentioned the allergies so I could be prepared, in general. She was open to the idea of my cooking for him if I was up to the challenge. I have cooked for my nephew who has peanut allergies, so it's not unheard of for me to take those things into consideration. I do plan on vetting the menu with her to make sure she's comfortable with it. If she pushed the point, I would absolutely do what she wanted.

I just was hoping to make him feel welcomed, safe and...normal, I guess. He's a nice little boy and I'm all about encouraging the friendship between him and my son. If a little effort in the food department helps that along, then I'm all for it! :)

alien_host
09-29-2011, 03:34 PM
I have a DD w/ food allergies. It is hard for me to allow her to eat homebaked goods made by someone else in their home without really quizzing them on what is going on. I commend you for wanting to provide a safe meal for the child and going the extra mile. :bighand:

I would call the mom and tell her what you want to do and see if she is OK with it all first, before you go through the trouble. She may tell you that she'd prefer her DC to eat what she brings or she may not, everyone's comfort level is different. If she'd rather not have her DC comsume your food PLEASE to not be offended, it is such a tricky area.

If she is OK with you doing the prep, I would save her all wrappers/labels and offer to show them to her.

I do think it's great that you are being so accomodating and I think the mom could give you some guidance on chocolate choices etc so everyone is comfortable with it.

alien_host
09-29-2011, 03:35 PM
looks like we x-posted....

ccather
09-29-2011, 03:36 PM

Cool! I'll look out for those. We have a Moms Organic Market, David's organic Market and a Trader Joe's in the area and they tend to carry interesting things like that.

Thank you!

KpbS
09-29-2011, 03:37 PM
You are awesome for going out of your way to prepare food that is safe for a playdate :cheerleader1: I would totally appreciate it.

ladysoapmaker
09-29-2011, 03:50 PM
DS#2 has a soy allergy. There is a brand of chocolate that I can only get at a Kosher grocery store that is soy free. of course I don't remember the name of it. and am work and so I can't go out to my freezer to check. I'll do that when I get home.

Good luck and thank you for being so conscientious.
Jen

DrSally
09-29-2011, 05:21 PM
Enjoy Life chips. They won't be at TJ's, but you might try whole foods. If the mom is comfortable w/you cooking for her DC, then go for it. I'm sure if she looks at your ingred and is assured you've cleaned all the utensils properly, then should be fine.

DrSally
09-29-2011, 05:22 PM
You could also buy some enjoy life cookies. Trader Joes makes a version of Enjoy Life's snickerdoodle cookies (I wonder if they're made in EL's facility b/c they look exactly the same). They are free of the top 10 allergens and very tasty (esp. warmed up).

ccather
09-29-2011, 05:31 PM
Sally...

Thank you for the suggestions! In general it seems as if I should keep my eyes peeled for the Enjoy Life brand!

Everyone...thanks for the kudos! Honestly, I think it's a part of being a hostess. I hope his mom is as happy about it as many of you would be :)

DrSally
09-29-2011, 08:31 PM
Sounds like fun. No kid w/FA likes to feel excluded or that they can't do certain things b/c of their FA, so it's great that you're so sensitive to that. Personally, I would be happy if there was no eating of obvious PB things while DS was there, if kitchen surfaces were wiped w/soap and water (if there's a lot of PB consumption in the household), and if food/snacks were run by me before drop off. I actually don't do a lot of drop off, unless I'm sure the parent "gets it". And, so, sometimes that excludes dropping off at certain friend's houses.

ahisma
09-29-2011, 11:23 PM
Totally possible to do cupcakes if you'd like. Use a vegan cupcake recipe and use rice milk instead of soy milk.

Here's a recipe that we use all of the time: http://www.culinate.com/books/collections/all_books/Vegan+Cupcakes+Take+Over+the+World/Golden+Vanilla+Cupcakes

We always sub rice milk due to a friend with a soy / nut allergy. We run everything through the dishwasher first, even the clean stuff. No wood cutting boards or mixing spoons, etc.

ladysoapmaker
09-30-2011, 07:58 AM
Finally was able to get to the freezer. The brand I picked up was Gefen. There were 2 other brands at the Kosher grocery store I went to and they also had solid baking chocolate that was soy free.

Sorry it took so long.

And thank you again for making foods all the kids can eat.

Jen

MamaMolly
09-30-2011, 08:07 AM
I just was hoping to make him feel welcomed, safe and...normal, I guess. He's a nice little boy and I'm all about encouraging the friendship between him and my son. If a little effort in the food department helps that along, then I'm all for it! :)

I :heartbeat: you for this!