PDA

View Full Version : Bday party struggle...

Twoboos
09-29-2011, 04:43 PM
DD1 is turning 8 soon. We were set to go to the American Girl store and have a party in the private room there. Until we found out we were given incorrect pricing... turns out bday party for DD1 plus DD2 and 6 friends, plus me & dh, tax & gratuity is over $600. :eek:

I decided we could take her to lunch there and do an AG theme party here. Then I really looked at the calendar. The weekend of her bday is FOUR days before we close on our new house, and probably 10 days before we move.

I can't handle having 12 girls here for a party in my (hopefully!!) mostly packed house. Can I?

I should just do it at AG, and save myself the headache. Except in principle it kills me! But just this one time I should suck it up and do it, right? I will have other home parties, without moving boxes everywhere. And we'll just have to do one for DD2 in 2 years time.

Of course the cost of the party will hardly hurt at all compared to the cost of moving!!

karstmama
09-29-2011, 05:00 PM
any way to hold them to their original (incorrect) pricing? 'cause that's nuts, but i'd hate to do the party in a packed up house, either.

or can you have 3 other girls? or 2? or just you & dd?? :D

hbridge
09-29-2011, 05:40 PM
What about doing a doll tea party at a different location? Is there a tea house or even just a fun cafe near you? Call them and see.

It took me weeks to find a venue for DC birthday party, finally I found a place that has never done parties before, but is putting together quite the event.

SkyrMommy
09-29-2011, 06:12 PM
If you're moving and have a totally empty space, like a dining room could you decorate there and keep the party more contained? Bring in just the furniture and decorations that you'd need.

Otherwise I like PPs suggestion of a coffee house or such, have all the girls bring their dolls for a birthday 'tea'.

Good luck.

elbenn
09-29-2011, 06:15 PM
I bet a local tea house would love to do a birthday party for the girls and their dolls for a lot less money! Do you have any lady luncheon type places by you?

Twoboos
09-29-2011, 09:25 PM
Hmmm, I don't know of any places like that in the area. I'm going to have to think about that.

Maybe I could pull it off here. All boxes in one closed off room, the rest of the house open to the madness!

Maybe a Kanani/Luau theme... DD1 has Kanani and we recently took her pic w/the life-size display in the store! (ANd a few months ago I saw cheeeap luau stuff, I almost bought but it seemed silly at the time! RATS!) I need to google.

traciann
09-29-2011, 09:43 PM
DD1 is turning 8 soon. We were set to go to the American Girl store and have a party in the private room there. Until we found out we were given incorrect pricing... turns out bday party for DD1 plus DD2 and 6 friends, plus me & dh, tax & gratuity is over $600. :eek:

I decided we could take her to lunch there and do an AG theme party here. Then I really looked at the calendar. The weekend of her bday is FOUR days before we close on our new house, and probably 10 days before we move.

I can't handle having 12 girls here for a party in my (hopefully!!) mostly packed house. Can I?

I should just do it at AG, and save myself the headache. Except in principle it kills me! But just this one time I should suck it up and do it, right? I will have other home parties, without moving boxes everywhere. And we'll just have to do one for DD2 in 2 years time.

Of course the cost of the party will hardly hurt at all compared to the cost of moving!!

could you switch it to the bistro birthday? is that an option? do they have room for that day? i am doing the bistro birthday and its 28 for kids and 18 for adults. they get food, cake, ice cream, crowns for their dolls and the goody bag. and they sent free invitations.

bubbaray
09-29-2011, 10:10 PM
Can you do the party AFTER you move and are settled? I wouldn't do it the week before you move, thats insanity.

Globetrotter
09-29-2011, 10:41 PM
I wouldn't spend $600 for twelve girls. Like PPs said, have a doll tea party at a tearoom. My friend did that and it worked out well.

Gracemom
09-30-2011, 09:28 AM
Instead of a party, a friend of my DD's picked a couple friends and they went to lunch at the American Girl restaurant. They had a great time and I don't think any of them knew it wasn't a real party. They brought their dolls, looked around the store for a while, and the mom gave out American Girl crafts as the party favor. Keep it small and try not to stress out! There is no way I would spend $600 on a party!

Fairy
09-30-2011, 11:06 AM
Instead of a party, a friend of my DD's picked a couple friends and they went to lunch at the American Girl restaurant. They had a great time and I don't think any of them knew it wasn't a real party. They brought their dolls, looked around the store for a while, and the mom gave out American Girl crafts as the party favor. Keep it small and try not to stress out! There is no way I would spend $600 on a party!

This is what I was gonna suggest, either make them stick to the pricing (escalate till the top guy tells u no), or have it in the restaurant, buy yhem lunch, and do activities at the table. U have to lose parents, tho. Is that feasible?

hollybloom24
09-30-2011, 02:26 PM
I would do it at the bistro - all the parties my girls have been to have been lunch or dinner at the bistro, and a $10 hair style. Still not cheap, but not $600!

Twoboos
10-10-2011, 11:45 AM
Ok, this is settled. DD1 & 2, 6 friends and me and DH at the bistro. We should come in around $350 including tax and tip. I just wish they served cocktails for the adults, LOL!!!

Thanks for all your thoughts. I had to get it done and get it out of the house, and she is still thrilled about the party!!