PDA

View Full Version : I cannot believe I paid full price...

citymama
09-30-2011, 03:16 AM
This bargain-hunting mama has almost never paid full-price on kids clothing or shoes - mostly because I shop end of season and other sales, almost always online. Well, DD has been asking for running shoes for weeks and it's 2 days before her walkathon and....we went to REI this evening, and the only pair of running shoes they had in her size were... $55! :eek:

Most of her shoes probably retail for that much but I pay half the price!

I was going to walk out of the store but of course DD begged and pleaded and I wanted to make sure we had good walking shoes for her walkathon. And of course, once we had them, she would not let go of them and ran around in them all evening.

I'm reeling from the sticker shock! Eek!

arivecchi
09-30-2011, 07:48 AM
Lol!

If it is any consolation, I do think it is harder to find deals for shoes. I just tried to find snow boots on sale and the ones we wanted were FP everywhere.

hellokitty
09-30-2011, 08:08 AM
That's not too bad, at least she can use the sneakers for other activities. Wait until you have to buy sports equipment, and they only give you a few days notice before the first practice. Not only are your running around trying to find things in the correct size, but you're shelling out full retail and everything is sold out, b/c hundreds of other parents are jumping through the same damn hoops. It pains me. I hate D*ck's sporting goods, everything is expensive and I can never seem to find my kids' sizes, I can hear my wallet crying out in pain when I have to buy stuff at that store. Finding t-ball pants and cleats was the worst, I had to go to like 4 stores to find the right sizes and then pay full retail.

TwinFoxes
09-30-2011, 08:09 AM
Lol!

If it is any consolation, I do think it is harder to find deals for shoes. I just tried to find snow boots on sale and the ones we wanted were FP everywhere.

:yeahthat: I think because it's so hard to buy ahead with shoes. I got burned last year with S's boots, way too small. I lucked out and got Bogs when Garnet Hill had 25% + free shipping last week. Don't feel bad Citymama, sometimes even the best of us pay retail. ;)

momm
09-30-2011, 08:29 AM
Aw! I totally understand! When you're used to deals it stings to pay full price. But think of it this way - think of the use you/ DD will get out of these shoes. Plus you made your little girl very very happy :)

mariza
09-30-2011, 09:29 AM
This is exactly how I felt when I bought DD's winter coat and snow pants from Hanna last week. I have never paid more then $25 (usually closer to $15) for a winter coat. I normally hit Gymbo, Hanna or Even TCP at the end of the season. But, she loved the leopard print Hanna set and it was so soft and easy to move in that I gave in. I'm tired of her not wearing any of my "deals" because she grows too fast for them to fit when needed, or worse, it triggers one of her sensory issues and she just flat out refuses. Sometime paying retail is about paying a price for my sanity as well as monetarily. At least this is how I had to justify the Hanna sticker shock! Enjoy your walk and just think that even though you paid more than you wanted, you get to use them doing something good with your DD. Enjoy the walk!

Beth24
09-30-2011, 11:10 AM
I think shoes are the one item that I have not had much luck buying on sale. It's hard to buy ahead and anticipate every shoe need! I think in the long run you probably save money by only buying shoes when you need them! Even at full price...

♥ms.pacman♥
09-30-2011, 11:12 AM
I think shoes are the one item that I have not had much luck buying on sale. It's hard to buy ahead and anticipate every shoe need! I think in the long run you probably save money by only buying shoes when you need them! Even at full price...

:yeahthat:

i buy DS stride rites, and although i almost always get them at the outlet (e.g. they're $35 instead of $50), it's still pricey IMO, and i never get the "sale" ones (the sale ones are often things like sandals in January, etc). however, usually he only has 1 (or 2 max) pair of shoes at a given time, and he wears them every day for 3 months, so it's worth it IMO!!

citymama
09-30-2011, 02:16 PM
Hey, if the shoes get my bookworm to go running or play soccer and run around more, they'll have totally been worth it. Good shoes are important!

robinsmommy
09-30-2011, 03:12 PM
We basically ended up in the same situation with DD1 a couple days ago - she *needed* shoes for the half-mile run the next day, and with tax it was $65.22. Ouch. She does have super narrow, low-volume hard-to-fit feet. I never even looked at the price as they were the only pair that fit.

I missed the Hanna snowpants sale and am trying to figure out what to do. D'oh.

I guess I should at least be grateful that she didn't wait until bedtime to tell me, which seems to happen so often for anything relating to baked goods or costumes....

Yep, I just try to tell myself that these are the things I save money for, which helps a tiny, tiny bit.

AnnieW625
09-30-2011, 07:22 PM
I paid $54 a piece plus $25 one day shipping with Zappos on Saturday for these New Balance shoes (http://www.zappos.com/new-balance-kids-993-toddler-youth-brown) (her school requires shoes to be white, brown, navy, grey, or black; and no pink/white:( thankfully one of DD1's friends had these), which ended up arriving on Monday (we needed them for Wednesday's 1 mile to and from walking trip the library). I figure for all of the Amazon prime free shipping I have gotten this year the $25 shipping charge was okay. I am also debating about exchanging them for the next bigger size (I bought two sizes). She has worn them everyday since she got them.

DD1 has a wide foot with a high instep so it makes her almost an XXW even though her foot doesn't look that wide and that's a pain to find at local stores. Had I known I would've ordered much sooner:shake:

ljackson
10-01-2011, 07:01 PM
We basically ended up in the same situation with DD1 a couple days ago - she *needed* shoes for the half-mile run the next day, and with tax it was $65.22. Ouch. She does have super narrow, low-volume hard-to-fit feet.

What were the shoes? My DD has the same sort of feet and it is really hard to find shoes. I ordered a pair of the inner soles http://www.amazon.com/Pedag-Naturally-Leather-Children-Activated/dp/B001G0O2V6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1317510078&sr=8-4 from Amazon to try to take up a little of the room in her current ones. They should arrive on Monday and I hope they work.