PDA

View Full Version : Now that the cat is out of the bag...can we talk double strollers?

BabyBearsMom
09-30-2011, 08:41 AM
I feel paralized by indecision when it comes to double strollers (even though I have PLENTY of time to think about this). This might be long, so sorry in advance. The important facts: The stroller will live in the trunk of my Odyssey, so size isn't really a factor. It will be used for walks on nicely paved sidewalks in our neighborhood, trips to the park and other outdoor venues and the mall. Unfortunately, DH is adamant that I may only buy one double stroller, so it has to be a do it all. I want something that has airtires but isn't enormous so I can use it inside (no Bob for me, please). I do not run (not even if I was being chased) so I don't need huge tires, but a good size for pushing my giant DD comfortably. Price is not really a concern, but DH would not be cool if I went completely overboard, so no Donkey or Helix for me. I don't care if it reverses. It would be nice if it took a car seat for quick in and outs (KF30), but I am not a SnG kind of gal, so that is not a deal killer. The one really important factor to me is weight. I have a bad back so anything over 35lbs would be a deal killer for me.

When DH and I started TTC, I was pretty sure that I wanted P&T, probably a Vibe 2 or a Verve. I knew that I wanted air tires and I thought that DD will be 2 when this baby is born and she is very independent. Unfortunately, I think that by 2.5 she will be an occasional rider. This vision was completely trashed when my DD saw the Baby Gizmo video for the Vibe and absolutely hated it. I showed him the video for the Explorer as well and he hated that too. He thinks that the fold is cumbersome and it looked too big. He also doesn't like the "second class citizen seat" for DD. He pointed out that she is a very big girl and very curious and would not like to be down below.

DH likes the BJCMD. He likes the price and he likes the fold. I do not like the BJCMD because 1) it does not have air tires (although I find the GT at ABC very intriguing) and 2) DD does not like how reclined our BJCM is. DH also likes the BJCS because he likes that the second seat isn't a second class citizen seat and he likes our BJCM and thinks highly of the company. My DH is intensely brand loyal. I do not like the BJCS because it is the length of a city bus and I think the seats look small and my big girl will not fit in them for long.

I have ruled out the B-Ready because I think if DH hates the P&T, he will hate the B-Ready too. Plus, I think it is super bulky folded, doesn't have air tires, and just seems poorly constructed when I play with it in person.

So since I have rules out the P&T, B-Ready and BJCS, I don't think a tandem is in the cards for me, right? Plus I think (hope?)DD will be jealous if the baby is riding and may become more interested in the stroller again. So now I am starting to focus on a SBS. I would LOVE to get the Duet (with some really cute seat liners), but I'm really worried about the size of the seats. DD is a big girl. She is almost 18 months old now, and when we went to her 15 month check up she was 27lbs and in the 99th percentile for height. I don't think she has gained much weight, but she continues to shoot up height wise and is nearly a head taller than the other 1.5 yo in her day care. I've looked at the Indie Twin but I think it feels way less sturdy than an MB and I hate that where the feet go is fabric. I absolutely hate a dirty stroller. Hit me with suggestions ladies!! Should I just go with the Duet and hope DD fits in it for a while longer? Is there an amazing stroller I am missing? I thought some of the Valco strollers at the ABC looked really promising, but not sure if they will be out by April.

As an aside, I do wear babies quite a bit for the first few months, but once it gets hot I like to use a stroller more and it will be hot by early June here. Thanks so much for reading this. I've been mulling this over in my head constantly for the last 7 weekes!

legaleagle
09-30-2011, 09:05 AM
Since you have until next spring - maybe the city mini GT? Or the MB plus one? Or something else coming out that nobody knows about yet? That said, my 3 year old is very tall and loves sitting in the back seat or the verve.

roseyloxs
09-30-2011, 09:12 AM
Sounds like you have it pretty well thought out. I currently have the vibe and I can vouch for the fold. Its not all that cumbersome and its really clever actually. Only takes up half of my CRV trunk which is not very huge.

However if space were not an issue in my trunk I would get a side by side. I loved my indie twin but if you love the MB sturdiness I think I would stick with their brand. I would look at both the duet and duo. I believe the seat back heights are actually the same its just the seat width. I measured my 4.5 year old and his shoulders were exactly 11 inches across so I think even he would fit.

So as you have already concluded I think the duet, BJCM GT or one of the valcos would be your best buy.

legaleagle
09-30-2011, 09:20 AM
Oh, yes, love the fold on the verve! I got it partially because it fits in my mazda5 with one 3rd row seat up. You cannot fold with the second seat on if you have the second seat sunshade on, but it's pretty useless anyway, so not a big loss, and removing the second seat is very easy anyway.

roseyloxs
09-30-2011, 09:24 AM
If you do want to consider the indie twin its easy to tuck the fabric away on muddy, rainy or snowy days.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-PJQ54NYh9Bk/ToXCqyCdjVI/AAAAAAAAAV0/OztO5yxtmCs/s512/IndieTwin4.JPG

BabyBearsMom
09-30-2011, 09:40 AM
If you do want to consider the indie twin its easy to tuck the fabric away on muddy, rainy or snowy days.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-PJQ54NYh9Bk/ToXCqyCdjVI/AAAAAAAAAV0/OztO5yxtmCs/s512/IndieTwin4.JPG

Ooh,that is good to know. I may have DD sit in a Duo (a store near by has them) and see how she fits and then I can decide if she could squeeze into the Duet.

arivecchi
09-30-2011, 10:59 AM
The Duet sounds perfect for you. IME, their growth really slows down after 2 and by the time she outgrows it, you can probably go back to a single with a toddler board.

Since you love MBs, I think you would really love a Duet. :)

BabyBearsMom
09-30-2011, 12:34 PM
The Duet sounds perfect for you. IME, their growth really slows down after 2 and by the time she outgrows it, you can probably go back to a single with a toddler board.

Since you love MBs, I think you would really love a Duet. :)

I think it has to be the Duet. If I get a different SBS, I am going to hate the width. If I get a tandem, I will hate the push. Plus I've been coveting the Duet since I heard about it at last year's ABC. Heck, I think hearing that is what jump started me on wanting to TTC :hysterical: Maybe I will just order it some place that has free shipping so I can return it if it doesn't work out. I don't know why I am worrying about this now, I have so much time!

Multimama
09-30-2011, 02:56 PM
FWIW, I finally got to see a Duet in person today and I wasn't wowed like I thought I was going to be. It's narrow, but it's not so much narrow that it's like "Wow, I feel like I'm pushing a single." It still felt like maneuvering a double to me. And although I don't mind the narrow seats or the shorter seat back I couldn't believe how *shallow* the seat was. To me it looked like my kid would just be perched on the edge. It might work for a 2.5 year old, but I would want to try it first.

But, we all have our different priorities. I liked the rugged feel, but I just don't think I can do a black & grey stroller when there are doubles like the gorgeous Indie Twin out there. :)