PDA

View Full Version : Need help with baby shoes

AnimalBabe
09-30-2011, 10:41 AM
Questions about baby shoes below. As background, my son is 13 mos old and walking pretty good now, but still falls down now and again. I have one pair of Robeez size 6-12 mos that fits good (I think he's around a size 4 wide) and one pair of Target brand shoes (but only put these on him outdoors since they have the thicker soles..he doesn't walk great in these yet). I would like a pair of dressy shoes for him and probably will soon want a pair of warmer shoes (boots maybe?) Eventually I'll want to get snow boots, but I read on one of these posts that people seem to like the Target brand snow boots, so I might just get those. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

1.Are Pedipeds only sold online? I see them on this site and was looking for something like this that is slightly dressier for the upcoming holidays:
http://www.itsybitsybabystore.com/Pediped-Andy-Chocolate-Brown-Suede-p/andychocbrownsuede.htm

Oh just found these too, so cute:
http://www.diapers.com/p/Pediped-Originals-Charlie-84946

*And is that a good price? I saw some Robeez for slightly more advanced walkers in Stride Rite for $40 and the saleslady said I could expect them to last only 3 mos before he outgrows them. Seems like a rip off when the shoes I buy for myself are only $20 more!

*Do Pedipeds run about the same size as Robeez..should I get a 12-18 mos size in the Pedipeds or stick with 6-12 mos?

2. How do Jack and Lily or Shoo Shoos compare to Robeez, Pedipeds, etc, in terms of sizing/prices, walkability?

Tondi G
10-02-2011, 02:07 AM
I really like See Kai Run shoes for newer walkers. I like that they have a super flexible rubber sole but the leather is butter soft and they work well for wide feet! DS2 lived in SKR shoes till he outgrew the line!

http://www.seekairun.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=SKRN&keywords=Boys

citymama
10-02-2011, 05:26 AM
I loved Pedoodles for DD1 and am reusing them for DD2. www.pedoodles.com. I found SKRs to run very wide, and the soles of Pedipeds to be not so great for active toddlers, although I love the styles on all three shoes.

fedoragirl
10-02-2011, 09:30 AM
See Kai Run are the best shoes for new walkers, IMO. I got the recommendation here and I haven't looked back. They are extremely well made and last through a lot of wear and tear. I love that they are leather shoes and have soft, flexible soles. The other go-to shoes for us were Pedipeds. DD just wore them a couple of times before she outgrew them. SKR, however, run big and she can wear them forever. Their customer service is excellent too. I have changed sizes after placing an order and they never gave me any trouble.

toby
10-02-2011, 09:29 PM
We went from Robeez/Bobux to Livie and Luca shoes which we loved (very flexible). They have gotten quite a bit more expensive but hold up really well. Also, if you call or email, they will tell you which ones run more wide or narrow.

AnimalBabe
10-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! They all still seem a little pricey though. Are there ever sales on these or coupons online? For those who like the Pedipeds, would you stick with size 6-12 mos if my son is around a 4 wide right now? Or would you size up?
Thanks!

mommylamb
10-03-2011, 09:53 AM
I really loved pedipeds at that age, especially for inside walking. Also had luck with SKR, for outside walking.

Now that DS is older (he's 4) I LOVE pediped's flex shoes.

AnimalBabe
10-03-2011, 09:55 AM
I really loved pedipeds at that age, especially for inside walking. Also had luck with SKR, for outside walking.

Now that DS is older (he's 4) I LOVE pediped's flex shoes.

Are the pedipeds originals just like the Robeez, so they're really only meant for inside walking? The pedipeds don't have a thicker sole? I might need to try the SKR then.

mommylamb
10-03-2011, 09:57 AM
Are the pedipeds originals just like the Robeez, so they're really only meant for inside walking? The pedipeds don't have a thicker sole? I might need to try the SKR then.

back when I first started using pedipeds, they only had the originals, but now they have something called "grip and grow" between the originals and the flex brand. Those might be better for outside. They're super cute. And yes, I'd say originals are more like robeez on the bottom-- maybe a little more substantial than robeez. FTR, I never liked robeez at all. I think they're kind of ugly and come off too easily.

ETA: If you do go with the originals, these are on sale for $18 and they look similar to the pairs above that you linked: http://www.pediped.com/Products/Originals-br-Ethan---Chocolate-Brown__480.aspx

AnimalBabe
10-03-2011, 01:34 PM
back when I first started using pedipeds, they only had the originals, but now they have something called "grip and grow" between the originals and the flex brand. Those might be better for outside. They're super cute. And yes, I'd say originals are more like robeez on the bottom-- maybe a little more substantial than robeez. FTR, I never liked robeez at all. I think they're kind of ugly and come off too easily.

ETA: If you do go with the originals, these are on sale for $18 and they look similar to the pairs above that you linked: http://www.pediped.com/Products/Originals-br-Ethan---Chocolate-Brown__480.aspx

Thanks for that link. I haven't had any problems at all with the Robeez coming off, they seem to fit him pretty good. Now that he's walking more and it's getting colder out though I don't want to have such a thin sole. I checked out the grip and grow on the Pedipeds but they're still pretty pricey...I'm realizing they're all pretty pricey for baby shoes!

boltfam
10-03-2011, 02:38 PM

The pedipeds soles are a bit more substantial than the Robeez. The pedipeds soles are more cushioned and are made out of leather (not suede). My DD has worn her pedipeds originals outside but not on really rough terrain like mulch at the playground.

I am debating whether I can still get my 17 mo. old pedipeds originals if they will mainly be used inside. My only concern is IF she wears them outside in the snow/ice on a rare occasion, the originals don't have much of a grip to them.

Good luck!

boltfam
10-03-2011, 02:50 PM
For those who like the Pedipeds, would you stick with size 6-12 mos if my son is around a 4 wide right now? Or would you size up?
Thanks!

There are sometimes sales online. You could check out Piperlime or BabyEarth. I can't advise for sure if you would want a 6-12 mo. or 12- 18 mo. shoe, but I can tell you my dd is in a 5M and can squeeze into her 6-12 mo. pedipeds. If I get another pair of the pediped originals, I will definately get her 12-18 months ones.

citymama
10-03-2011, 04:09 PM
For those who like the Pedipeds, would you stick with size 6-12 mos if my son is around a 4 wide right now? Or would you size up?
Thanks!

My DD is a petite size 3 at 16 months, and the 6-12 month size Pedipeds are getting snug on her. She usually wears them with very thin socks. I would get size 12-18 months for sure.

Pinky
10-04-2011, 09:43 PM
my 18month old DD wears her pediped originals everywhere... park/mulch/gravel etc and they have held up just fine.

As far as sizing goes she wears a 5.5 (I think) and is in the 12-18 month size but they are starting to get snug.

swissair81
10-06-2011, 08:12 AM
Am I the only one who thinks Pedipeds run big? My 13 month old wears a 3.5 shoe and she fits nicely into the 0-6 months. I can only use the originals, because the next stage is too big for her. I got her a pair of SKR now though because she's sliding a lot when she walks on my floors. I only have one carpeted room on my main floor.

boltfam
10-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Don't mean to hijack but am wondering if those of you with 18 month olds would buy Pedipeds originals or Flex if you were to get your DC new shoes. DD needs some and has been walking since 10 months. Winter is coming so I don't think she'll be walking around outside much. Do you think the originals would suffice?

Swissair, I do think Pedipeds run big (at least the 0-6 month size- the only size I have experience with).

hoodlims
10-07-2011, 01:13 AM
Do you have a Nordstrom Rack near you? I found shoes from Robeez, Pediped, and Stride Rite there for half the price that I paid online.

hoodlims
10-07-2011, 01:14 AM
Don't mean to hijack but am wondering if those of you with 18 month olds would buy Pedipeds originals or Flex if you were to get your DC new shoes. DD needs some and has been walking since 10 months. Winter is coming so I don't think she'll be walking around outside much. Do you think the originals would suffice?

Swissair, I do think Pedipeds run big (at least the 0-6 month size- the only size I have experience with).

I purchased the Flex Pedipeds for my daughter when she was 14 months old. I was not impressed. That being said, I wouldn't have stayed with the original crib shoe either. I bought her a pair of Stride Rite shoes and prefer those. I also got her a pair of Crocs, which is great for a kid learning to put her own shoes on. She is now almost 20 months.

sunnyside
10-08-2011, 04:03 AM

My nearly 15 month old DD has been walking since her 11 month bday and is in shoes with a sole. I really love Livie and Luca. Primigi makes great shoes too and are often on sale on Amazon (for instance I got 4 pairs of Mary Janes each marked down from $66 to about $24). I also really like See Kai Run, but I don't think they hold up as well.

Anyway, to answer your question I would get the Flex over the originals. We used the Pediped originals prior to my girl walking and now they don't seem substantial enough to me.

citymama
10-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Boltfam, try Pedoodles or L&L. I don't think Pedipeds originals hold up well outside. I haven't tried Flex though. My 17 month old is in her big sister's Pedoodles and they're as fab as I remember them being. We did Pedoodles from 12-24 months and then moved on to Merrell's.

boltfam
10-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Thank you all for your replies about Pedipeds and the tips on other good shoes to try. I do like DD's SKRs but they did get pretty scuffed up.

Mishkamisha, thanks for the tip on the Primigi shoes being on amazon. I'll have to check.

Citymama, where would one find Pedoodles? I've seen posts about them on here but have never come across them. The L&L shoes always look so adorable!

I think I might take a trip to NR, too, and hopefully find a good deal!

mjs64
10-21-2011, 06:42 PM
Pedoodles are on Zulily right now.