PDA

View Full Version : How often for well-child/physicals?

Melanie
09-30-2011, 12:51 PM
We moved away from our awesome beloved Ped last year. I picked one with good reviews, quickly, to get the kids in for a check for their school forms. She's nice, we won't see eye to eye on vaccines (mentioned she'd like to see the kids 'caught' up on the ones they've missed. No, I'm not giving my 9 year old Prevnar and other infant vaccines:shake:), but otherwise she seems like a nice lady to stay with until I somehow find another Dr. Wonderful.

She works out of this huge place which reminds me a little too much of Kaiser for my comfort, and somehow all the doctors Dh and I have chosen seem to be out of this place. HOWEVER, we have a PPO.

I called, feeling really neglectful for not having done so earlier, to schedule their annual exams. The receptionist told me that that their age they only want to see them every other year anyhow.

HUH?! Our Dr. Wonderful always saw the kids' annually. Ds was 8 the last time we had an exam there. They didn't even skip a beat to check our insurance so I don't think this is an 'insurance won't pay annually' issue.

I wonder if it's b/c this place is so HMO-y (though they swore to me they were not like Kaiser when I signed up and they tried to give me our MEDICAL RECORD #!).

Or is this just normal and Dr. Wonderful was better for yet another reason?

ETA: I'M A BIG DORK - I MEANT EVERY OTHER YEAR - WHAT IS THAT CALLED? - BUT CAN'T CHANGE THE POLL!

vludmilla
09-30-2011, 12:57 PM
It seems odd to me. In NYS schools are required to have an annual physical on file so there is no way to get around a yearly physical with a school age child. I wonder what the law is on this in your state? I do think though that I would want a yearly check up regardless of the law.

daisymommy
09-30-2011, 01:32 PM
I would not at all be comfortable with that.
And fwiw...we have Kaiser and enjoy it ;) But even they do annual check-ups here.

mommylamb
09-30-2011, 01:36 PM
DS goes annually for a well child check. He is almost never sick, so it's usually his own doctor visit of the year. I voted PPO because I usually have a PPO. But at the moment we have an HMO. It's temporary. I was on DH's PPO up until he changed jobs at the beginning of the month, and we needed to switch onto my company's crappy insurance until we're eligible for the PPO at his new company in November.

Green_Tea
09-30-2011, 01:40 PM
Our pediatric practice sees kids annually until they are 5, and then I think it's every other year unless there's some reason that they want to see them more frequently. It's not related to insurance, it's just how they do it. Where we are health records for schools are filed in K, grade 3 and grade 6, so we don't need an annual form.

:shrug: I doesn't really bother me to go less often, because I confident that my kids are healthy and developing normally. They usually all make it in at least once a year for a sick visit, and DD1 is also watched by a pulmonologist and and endocrinologist for her asthma. DS sees an ENT for vocal cord nodules and chronic EIs. Between all those appts, plus dentist and orthodontist appts, I am happy to have 3 fewer annual visits :).

Melanie
10-03-2011, 03:22 AM
Thanks everyone. I thought these people were cheeseball. *sigh* I needed to find someone I agreed with better anyway, God forbid my kids actually get sick.

AngelaS
10-03-2011, 06:27 AM
Mine were all last in about 2 or maybe 3? years ago. I don't have plans to take them any time soon. :)

KrisM
10-03-2011, 06:36 AM
Mine still go once a year. But, if they don't, it wouldn't bother me, really. We go when sick, of course. Mainly I go once a year with the hope that as grown adults, they'll continue to do that and won't be stubborn like my husband :).

JBaxter
10-03-2011, 07:14 AM
we go yearly. Sports here require a physical yearly. They would never see Jack he hasn't been in since his last physical. ( now the ER that's another story)

Melaine
10-03-2011, 07:58 AM
Ehhhh....we haven't gone every year. They get in for sick visits at least once a year though and I think every two years is perfectly fine if there aren't any unusual issues. We are definitely past a year now and I haven't planned to take them in right now. Probably try to take them in before the new baby just to simplify my life.

Jo..
10-03-2011, 08:24 AM
At my ped's office, all they do is take their temp, check their ears, nose, and throat, and measure and weigh them. I can do that at home. :)

I used to take them in once per year at the end of July (between their two birthdays), but this year I didn't bother. I figure they can do all the same stuff when we go in for a sick visit (usually about once or twice per year).

Melaine
10-03-2011, 08:29 AM
At my ped's office, all they do is take their temp, check their ears, nose, and throat, and measure and weigh them. I can do that at home. :)

I used to take them in once per year at the end of July (between their two birthdays), but this year I didn't bother. I figure they can do all the same stuff when we go in for a sick visit (usually about once or twice per year).

Exactly! Our co-pay just went up to $40....so it is hard for me to swallow spending $80 for them to do those few things, that I can do at home. Especially when we do have to go for sick visits.

Jo..
10-03-2011, 08:35 AM
Btw I voted annually in the poll, but that is not really true.

I lean more towards biennially (every two years), and I think that was the word you were looking for. I had to Google it. :ROTFLMAO:

lorinick
10-03-2011, 09:44 AM
We go every year in NJ they need a physcial for school. My oldest is 11 and we've never missed a year.

sste
10-03-2011, 11:36 AM
We go every year and will continue to until they graduate from college! IMO it is very important for girls especially to grow up with the habit of yearly visits with an eye toward later annual exams. But even for my son I like annual exams. My goals are not only wellness but health optimization. My particular pedi has been a very good resource for dev info and also health research. Plus dh and I have the type of high cholesterol that begins in childhood and per our pedi we are already monitoring ds.