PDA

View Full Version : Another CD ? ...

ahrimie
09-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Gosh, I'm trying so darn hard to cd but starting it is sooo hard!

DD's diaper area is all red so I tried desitin last night with a disposable (what we're currrently using anyway). With older DD, this would work great but today, it's still red and I've been extra mindful to change her diaper often (again, with the disposable). So before nap time, I decided to use the cd's I just washed. I put on a Blueberry pocket diaper when she peed all over it...

but I was surprised that her pee kind of pooled on top of the inside layer that touches her bum. I want to say it's fleece, something soft anyway and on the inside are bamboo inserts. Is it supposed to stay wet like that? I thought it was supposed to wick away moisture and that her pee would be absorbed by the insert.

I also have a StayDry Flip insert so I put that on her instead. Will this stay wet against her skin too? Do some stay drier to the touch than others or do cd's not do that?

Please enlighten me... I'm frustrated.

lizzywednesday
09-30-2011, 03:17 PM
It sounds like your cloth dipes need another prep-wash because they're repelling moisture rather than absorbing it.

daisymommy
10-01-2011, 09:58 AM
It sounds like your cloth dipes need another prep-wash because they're repelling moisture rather than absorbing it.

:yeahthat: That means all the natural oils are not out yet, and it's creating a barrier (oil + water/urine don't mix). Wash and dry, then pour just a little water on top and see what happens. If it soaks right it, great. If not, wash again. Also check the rinse water, and make sure all the soap bubbles are out. If there's leftover soap, that will cause build-up and repelling, as well as rashes.

ahrimie
10-01-2011, 10:04 AM
I washed them again last night and put water on it this morning. It just pools on top. This is only for the Blueberry pockets though. The Stay Dry Flip liners were washed with these each time and they absorb pee.

Also, for the cotton prefolds, are they supposed to stay wet to the touch?

MamaMolly
10-01-2011, 02:38 PM
Also, for the cotton prefolds, are they supposed to stay wet to the touch?

Yes, they will be wet. That is normal.

mum-to-be
10-08-2011, 02:32 AM
Gosh, I'm trying so darn hard to cd but starting it is sooo hard!

DD's diaper area is all red so I tried desitin last night with a disposable (what we're currrently using anyway). With older DD, this would work great but today, it's still red and I've been extra mindful to change her diaper often (again, with the disposable). So before nap time, I decided to use the cd's I just washed. I put on a Blueberry pocket diaper when she peed all over it...

but I was surprised that her pee kind of pooled on top of the inside layer that touches her bum. I want to say it's fleece, something soft anyway and on the inside are bamboo inserts. Is it supposed to stay wet like that? I thought it was supposed to wick away moisture and that her pee would be absorbed by the insert.

I also have a StayDry Flip insert so I put that on her instead. Will this stay wet against her skin too? Do some stay drier to the touch than others or do cd's not do that?

Please enlighten me... I'm frustrated.

I haven't read the other replies. You said she peed on top of it. I think it takes some pressure for the pee to go through to the microfiber layer.

ahrimie
10-08-2011, 02:37 AM
I haven't read the other replies. You said she peed on top of it. I think it takes some pressure for the pee to go through to the microfiber layer.

After washing and re-washing and washing again, I figured that was it. I put water on top of it each time and each time, it just floated and pooled on top. But I decided to use it anyway because I had washed it so many times by then.. when I changed her and felt the diaper, most of the moisture was wicked away.

I bought more cd's!! I think I'm liking the Flips and the pockets. Bought some BG pockets to try out... along with pretty diaper pail liners and a wet bag :)

american_mama
10-09-2011, 02:03 PM
The soft layer is probably fleece or something called suedecloth (top layer has a soft nap like suede), but it's probably fleece since that's the more common fabric. If the diapers are brand new, then the pee just pooling is probably due to no pressure on it, as a PP said, and time. I think if you looked in a few minutes, more would have been absorbed by the insert and especially when the diaper is worn (as you discovered).

If the diaper is not brand new and you've done lots of washes, pour some water on the fleece layer with a cotton prefold or anything (even a washcloth) on the other side. Push the water on the fleece a little with your finger to try and make the prefold/washcloth absorb. If it doesn't, you probably have fleece that has been ruined (called repelling fleece), sometimes by the wrong wash routine. I bought one used diaper once that did this, which caused leaks. The pee would leak out the sides faster than it would be abosrbed by the insert. I gave the diaper away with full disclosure.

hoodlims
10-09-2011, 10:34 PM
Have you tried the whole "blue Dawn stripping" thing? Apparently you can strip your diapers using blue colored Dawn only. I have yet to do this, but you can read up on it. Did you wash your CDs a few times before even putting her in it?

Also, even though I am sure your daughter's issue is just a diaper rash, once, my daughter had what I thought was a diaper rash, but turned out to be a fungus in that area! Yuck! Her ped prescribed Nystatin, an anti-fungal cream. So if it doesn't get better, check it out with your ped! Good luck.

mum-to-be
10-13-2011, 06:40 PM
After washing and re-washing and washing again, I figured that was it. I put water on top of it each time and each time, it just floated and pooled on top. But I decided to use it anyway because I had washed it so many times by then.. when I changed her and felt the diaper, most of the moisture was wicked away.

I bought more cd's!! I think I'm liking the Flips and the pockets. Bought some BG pockets to try out... along with pretty diaper pail liners and a wet bag :)

Yay for you! Glad it's working out now. We loved the bg aios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk