PDA

View Full Version : What to do with third bedroom

kaitlyns.mom
10-01-2011, 01:10 PM
We are moving from a 1050sf condo to a 1500sf house. We are in a two-bedroom and are gaining a third bedroom. Kids are almost 4 (girl) and 9 months (boy); currently he is in our bedroom and she has her own. I have a computer desk and sewing machine set up in our dining room. What would you do with the third bedroom in the new place? Have each child have his/her own room, or have the kids share a room and use the third bedroom as a sewing room/office/spare bedroom?

mypa
10-01-2011, 01:42 PM
I would use the 3rd bedroom as your sewing/computer room for now with plans for eventually converting it to your son's room later.

I say this because both my kids (boy 6, girl 3) have their own rooms but they loooove sleeping together. My son's room goes unused except to store his clothes. Not sure how long this is going to last but I can see them sharing for at least the next few years.

BTW, congrats on moving on to a bigger place!

kijip
10-01-2011, 02:41 PM
I would keep them sharing until they are older and want their own rooms. Until then, I would use the 3rd bedroom for sewing/office/whatever.

JBaxter
10-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Each get their own room. As soon as he gets really mobile he will reek havoc on her stuff. Bedtimes are different naps etc.

kaitlyns.mom
10-01-2011, 04:05 PM
BTW, congrats on moving on to a bigger place!

Thank you! We are thrilled. :D

Jo..
10-01-2011, 04:18 PM
I think it's good and healthy for siblings to share a room for the first several years, even different-sex siblings.

But, I am completely into attachment parenting etc. My whole family of four STILL shares a room and usually a bed, despite the fact that we live in an average 3 BR home.

mommylamb
10-01-2011, 06:42 PM
I would give them each their own room. I totally understand people who want their kids to share, but I always appreciated having a room of my own as a kid, and my sister and I would have clawed each other's eyes out had we had to share a room back then. We've got DS2 on the way and live in a 3 bedroom house, and they will have their own rooms (good bye guest room :nodno:)

karstmama
10-01-2011, 06:57 PM
in the new place, is the dining room a room or an area in the open? how much formal dining do/will you realistically do? because i think i'd snag the dining room as the mama cave!

nfowife
10-01-2011, 07:57 PM
I would do their own room for the next 1.5 years at least, until little brother is around 2 and sleeping soundly. Then they can share if they wish and you need/want the space for something else. I have a 9 month old who is a great sleeper but it would not be good long term at this particular point for her to share with either of my other 2. We are planning in our next house (we move a lot and will be moving in summer 2013) that 2 will have to share a room- just not sure which 2 at this point.
FWIW, the baby is in our 4th bedroom and it is a combo nursery/guest room. There is room for a queen bed as well as her crib/dresser/glider and when guests visit we put her in a pack 'n play in our master bedroom closet.

HIU8
10-01-2011, 09:16 PM
I would not have them share a room. I know a lot of people do it, but I remember it as an absolutely HORRIBLE experience for me. I shared a room with my sister for 6 months as a young child. Honestly, neither of us got along and sharing a room made it worse (instead of bringing us closer together). I would use it for whatever now and eventually more your baby into the room. I do think kids need their own space.

jren
10-01-2011, 10:02 PM
I would give them their own rooms. My DCs (boy and girl) do love to sleep together occasionally, but DD doesn't sleep as well. And we can't have him in there on school nights b/c he'd keep her awake at night and she'd wake him too early in the morning. Maybe if they were closer in age. We even lock DD's door to keep DS out at times b/c some of her stuff is dangerous for him, or he would break it. She's 5 years older.

kaitlyns.mom
10-01-2011, 11:33 PM
This is great input, thank you everyone! I am leaning toward separate rooms at this point. Mainly because, as some of you pointed out, they have different bedtimes and neither of them sleeps well.

in the new place, is the dining room a room or an area in the open? how much formal dining do/will you realistically do? because i think i'd snag the dining room as the mama cave!

It's not really a dining room, but an eating area off the kitchen. It's where our one and only eating table will go. But I am pretty sure I can also fit my desk in that space and hopefully a small table for the sewing machine.