PDA

View Full Version : Decluttering and doing inventory while packing for move

kaitlyns.mom
10-01-2011, 04:26 PM
I'm thinking of doing some major decluttering while packing for our move (in one month), but I was also thinking of doing a home inventory at that point. I have been meaning to do one for insurance purposes for years now and keep putting it off. Basically I am thinking of writing everything down as it gets packed. Is this totally nuts? Will I go crazy? Or maybe it will force me to get rid of more so I don't have to write it down? :p

niccig
10-03-2011, 03:08 PM
It sounds like a good idea, as long as it doesn't slow down your packing. Also, take photos of things as you go.

kaitlyns.mom
10-03-2011, 03:17 PM
It sounds like a good idea, as long as it doesn't slow down your packing. Also, take photos of things as you go.

Great idea - I had forgotten about pictures! I probably would have remembered five or 10 boxes in. :p

larig
10-03-2011, 04:46 PM
I think doing the inventory when packing won't be too overwhelming if you use some technology to make it a little easier for yourself. Google spreadsheets has an excellent tool to make an online form. I made one for myself when packing some boxes to put in storage. My form had a place for me to list what was in the box, where I stored it, what the box looked like, when I packed it for storage. I used the spreadsheet to print out labels for my boxes, since I'd already typed in their contents.

Here's a video intro to google forms. (http://docs.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=151187)It's SOOOO easy to create one, and when you make the form it makes a corresponding spreadsheet where all of your data gets put (and they also put a time stamp for each submission).