PDA

View Full Version : Friend Just Lost Her Job

Kungjo
10-01-2011, 05:56 PM
A very dear friend of mine just lost her job. She is a single mom and lives in another state. I would like to support her or even just let her know that I am thinking of her and am here if she needs me.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to cheer her up and let her know that I am here for her? I just feel so helpless.

Thanks!

infomama
10-01-2011, 06:01 PM
I'm so sorry. I would probably send a card with a grocery store card or a gas card. I'm sure she will appreciate your kindness.

Jo..
10-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Send her a card and food.

Puddy73
10-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Just talking to her and reminding her that it was not her fault may be a boost. If you'd like to send her something, maybe a gift card for a restaurant because that will give her a reason to get out of the house. When I lost my job I was surprised and saddened by how many people stopped talking to me. Former colleagues later told me that they felt uncomfortable and that they didn't want to bring it up or bother me. Being unemployed is lonely, depressing and scary. I remember and appreciate every little kindness that was extended to me during that time.

wellyes
10-01-2011, 07:19 PM
I got a layoff notice recently. Though luckily I am not a single mom so my situation isn't as scary. I'm not sure what industry she's in, but for me, the single most useful advice I've gotten is the multiple people telling me the importance of LinkedIn. I'd gotten invitations to it but kinda ignored them -- but -- now that I need it, I am the one sending invites. It was so heartening to realize how quickly I was able to get a ton of connections, and to reconnect with people in my industry that I don't work with anymore. I've already been recruited, too. Very useful advice that actually empowered me.

JustMe
10-01-2011, 11:08 PM
What a thoughtful friend you are. Not sure how much of "cushion" she has and, this of course, makes a big difference. I think a card and phone calls on an on-going basis is great. I like the idea of a food card, but also like the idea of something that is a little of an indulgence (restaurant, etc), so maybe one of both if you can afford that? Gives her something basic as well as something to help her feel good.

gatorsmom
10-01-2011, 11:18 PM
I'd send her a $200 gift card to Walmart and tell her in a card that there is more where that came from if she needs it. I'd also send one at Christmas time even if she didn't ask for it.