PDA

View Full Version : Anyone done Microdermabrasion?

lcarlson90
10-02-2011, 10:54 AM
It seems like my face has aged considerably in the last 3 years since I turned 30. I have some fine lines around my lips and I have a sun spot under my eye. When I was at my salon getting my hair done yesterday my stylist mentioned that they do microdermabrasion. I have never even had a facial. Has anyone had microdermabrasion? If you have, did you like the results? What did it do?

cckwmh
10-02-2011, 11:03 AM
the microdermabrasion will not get rid of the sun spot - it will lessen its appearace as long as you keep up the treatments. that being said - I LOVE microdermabrasion. I have had a series done at a salon as well as through a dermatologist. If I could afford it, I would get the one at the derm's office done monthly. When I had it done at a salon, I was very red and pealed for about 3 days (they would put on glycolic acid as part of the treatment). At the derms office, no downtime (laser treatment after the micro, so no redness and pealing).

while i was doing it, my skin was smoother, more even tone, no brakouts, and very soft. I would do 3 treatments over a 3 month period, and it would last for about 3 months after wards.

BabyH
10-02-2011, 12:45 PM
I had a series of five after I stopped nursing and before I started the retinoids. Honestly, it felt GREAT and it was wonderful to be at the spa for the hour long treatment...... BUT if I knew then what I know now, I would have purchased the following before shelling out the $$$$ for the microderm.

If you don't have a clarisonic, try this - it is INCREDIBLE. Pricey, but worth giving it a try, and you need very, very little: http://www.dermalogica.com/us/html/products/daily-microfoliant-11.html?type=function&cat=exfoliants

This exfoliant is what my gal called "The PacMan of exfoliants" - and it felt so good on my skin...: http://www.dermalogica.com/us/html/products/multivitamin-thermafoliant-56.html?type=function&cat=exfoliants

I still use the Microfoliant, but not daily. Right now I use my Clarisonic and good ol' J&J Purpose cleanser. But I also use Retin A, Ole Henriksen "Truth Serum" and Josie Maran Argan Oil (last two at Sephora) (Vitamin C will help with sun/age spots). I really feel that my skin has never looked better. (But I think I'd give the most credit to the Retin A and Argan Oil).

lcarlson90
10-02-2011, 04:13 PM
When I had it done at a salon, I was very red and pealed for about 3 days (they would put on glycolic acid as part of the treatment). At the derms office, no downtime (laser treatment after the micro, so no redness and pealing).

Does this mean that I shouldn't do it at the salon and maybe I should do it at the Derm's office?

cckwmh
10-02-2011, 04:35 PM
Not necessarily, if you trust the person at the salon and you can deal with the potential recovery, go for it. The dermatologists office is going to be able to offer you different types of treatments than a salon would, at likely a higher price.

I dealt with the redness because i loved the results once everything settled down.

I second the recommendation for a clarsonic and retinoid (especially some of the newer trade names rather than Retin-A or the generic). Retinoids are the best thing for wrinkles and discoloration. They do take time to work, though.

lcarlson90
10-03-2011, 01:45 PM
If you don't have a clarisonic, try this - it is INCREDIBLE. Pricey, but worth giving it a try, and you need very, very little: http://www.dermalogica.com/us/html/products/daily-microfoliant-11.html?type=function&cat=exfoliants

This exfoliant is what my gal called "The PacMan of exfoliants" - and it felt so good on my skin...: http://www.dermalogica.com/us/html/products/multivitamin-thermafoliant-56.html?type=function&cat=exfoliants

I still use the Microfoliant, but not daily. Right now I use my Clarisonic and good ol' J&J Purpose cleanser. But I also use Retin A, Ole Henriksen "Truth Serum" and Josie Maran Argan Oil (last two at Sephora) (Vitamin C will help with sun/age spots). I really feel that my skin has never looked better. (But I think I'd give the most credit to the Retin A and Argan Oil).

I am getting a Clarisonic for my birthday. Where do you purchase the Retin-A, is it prescription or a specific brand. Do you use the Truth Serum and Argan Oil every day? Do you use a moisturizer as well? I just feel overwhelmed because there are so many products and I never know what order you use them in or how often.

mackmama
10-03-2011, 01:52 PM
My derm told me that I was not a good candidate as I have very sensitive skin with a lot of broken capillaries. I was told an acid peel was better for those with broken capillaries.

BabyH
10-03-2011, 02:06 PM
I am getting a Clarisonic for my birthday. Where do you purchase the Retin-A, is it prescription or a specific brand. Do you use the Truth Serum and Argan Oil every day? Do you use a moisturizer as well? I just feel overwhelmed because there are so many products and I never know what order you use them in or how often.

Retin A is Rx only... and it can be tricky to get. There are many strengths and formulas, so your dermatologist would definitely need to point you in the right direction. And also let you know what all to expect (my face flaked for about two weeks and it was awful...)

I use Truth Serum morning and night. Argan Oil only at night because I LOVE slathering a good amount (which is actually only about 3 drops) on and it has a tendency to make my makeup look a little shiny if I use it in the morning.

Yes, I use moisturizer as well... honestly I use whatever I grab first...

My order of application is: Truth Serum, wait a few minutes, Retin A and then 30 mins later Argan Oil at night. (IDK if that's the correct method or not but it works!)

tambo
10-03-2011, 10:47 PM
I'll admit to being biased, but I would definitely recommend having microdermabrasion done by a dermatologist rather than at a spa. If for no other reason, if you have any complications you want a physician to be immediately available. Many medi-spas claim to have physicians managing them, but in reality they only pay physicians to sign their paperwork once or twice a year - in many states they don't even have to set foot in the spa!

With regards to Retin-A, if you get a prescription from your doctor, shop around for it. Pharmacies like Walmart are significantly cheaper than pharmacies like CVS. To avoid redness and peeling, use no more than a pea-sized amount, start every 3rd day, and gradually increase to nightly.

Hope that helps!

lele
10-14-2011, 11:09 AM
How much did micro cost with a doctor?