PDA

View Full Version : Any special gifts for Premie baby shower?

MSWR0319
10-02-2011, 11:27 AM
I have a baby shower coming up soon. The mother gave birth about a week ago ( 9 weeks early) due to severe high blood pressure. Is there anything special I should get her that would help her when the baby comes home or should I just get her something off her registry? I'm assuming the baby won't be home for at least another month or so. I just want to make sure I'm getting her a nice gift that will be useful and wasn't sure if there was anything special she may need now since the baby will be a lot littler than expected.

BabyH
10-02-2011, 12:47 PM
FWIW, I had a friend who had triplets very early and they were in the NICU for months. I know they really, really appreciated gift cards to restaurants just because they spent so much time at the hospital. It also gave them a little "date" during a stressful, emotional time.

You can always get something for the baby when it gets to come home.

JoyNChrist
10-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Yep, I was going to say frozen meals or restaurant gift cards. When we were driving back and forth to the NICU to see the twins, it was EXHAUSTING, and thinking about food was just too much. But I needed to eat well for my milk supply.

Melaine
10-02-2011, 12:58 PM
I think food is great and I also appreciated those who gave preemie clothes. Preemie clothes are not something you want to buy ahead of time (obviously) and there is something very comforting about having clothes that fit your baby! I know sometimes they can't wear typical clothes with the machines though, so you might have to check.

MSWR0319
10-02-2011, 04:30 PM
Great ideas! Thanks! I had planned on getting them a gas card but hadn't thought about restaurants. I think I'll get a gift card for their favorite restaurant as well as the gas card and maybe an outfit for the baby.

TwinFoxes
10-02-2011, 04:47 PM
Great ideas! Thanks! I had planned on getting them a gas card but hadn't thought about restaurants. I think I'll get a gift card for their favorite restaurant as well as the gas card and maybe an outfit for the baby.

If I had gotten this I would have cried from joy. :)

sunshine873
10-02-2011, 10:31 PM
If I had gotten this I would have cried from joy. :)

I received a lot of help from friends, but one of the most useful gifts for us was a big container of homemade soup (easy to heat up a little at a time whenever we needed) & a gas card. I drove 160 miles a day round trip to see DD - so a gas card was invaluable. & like others have said, not having to think about food is great - because you just don't have time or energy for it.

I also appreciated things off my registry (immensely.) At this point I wouldn't buy too much not on the registry unless you have insight into any special needs.