PDA

View Full Version : Do your teacher's kids go to the teacher's school?

KrisM
10-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Does that make sense? I'm learning lots about teachers lately :)

Anyhow, DS1 has 3 teacher's kids in his 2nd grade class this year. DD has 1 in her kindergarten. I know of 8 more teacher's kids in our school and there may be more I don't know of. Some of them live in the district so it's the neighborhood school, so to speak. Others live in a different school district.

Most of the kids come to school with their teacher parent. I have learned that many other places that would not work well since the teachers get there much earlier than the start of school. Here, it means they have about 20-30 minutes, which is about what my kids spend walking to the bus and riding it in, so it's kind of a wash.

I know the kids at the other elementary (we share busses) ride my kids bus to that school and get off to go home with their teacher parent (or in 1 case, the principal). I know my neighbor brings her kids home, but they may be in the aftercare for 30 minutes. I don't know.

I have 2 other teacher neighbors both in different districts than us. One has a child in our school and one brings her children to her school. The one who brings the kids works at a year round school, so scheduling is quite different, so that makes 100% sense to me.

Anyhow, is it typical that the kids go to the parents school? I was surprised at how many out-of-district kids do this because it means their neighbors are not in their school and I'd think getting together with school friends would be difficult if the kids weren't living near each other.

hellokitty
10-02-2011, 11:50 AM
In our area, if it's a private school, the teacher's child(ren) get to attend for free. For public school, I'm fuzzy on it, I think if it's a district with open enrollment, their kids can automatically attend as well. I only know of one family that does this though in a public school.

SnuggleBuggles
10-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Seems like 75% do. I think the ones that don't it's because the kids go to their home school district vs the charter school.

Beth

AnnieW625
10-02-2011, 11:52 AM
At DD's school we know of one family who has a kindergartner whose mom is a teacher. She used to be the 1st grade teacher but is now the 5th grade teacher so she can avoid playground and lunch interaction with her child for a few years (k-3 are on the playground at the same time). I think it makes sense. When I was in school all of the kids I knew who had parents who were teachers taught at another school esp. in elementary school, in jr. high and high school it was a little less unavoidable, but by then there were enough teachers for each subject so it was unlikely that a student would have their parent as a teacher. Currently I know of a special day teacher whose kids go to the same school where she teaches, and my SLP friend's daughter will go to the same school where she works, but it's unlikely that she'll have much interaction with her daughter.

egoldber
10-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Some do. As for before and after care most teachers I know just have the kids hang out with them in the classroom before and after school. I'm not sure what they do if they need to have meetings during those times.

But our district is a very large (geographically and population wise), county wide district with over 130 elementary schools alone. So it is often a within district change vs between districts. I would think that in places with smaller, city centered districts it would be more complicated.

Cam&Clay
10-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Some do. As for before and after care most teachers I know just have the kids hang out with them in the classroom before and after school. I'm not sure what they do if they need to have meetings during those times.

But our district is a very large (geographically and population wise), county wide district with over 130 elementary schools alone. So it is often a within district change vs between districts. I would think that in places with smaller, city centered districts it would be more complicated.

:yeahthat: Same school district.

I took DS1 with me to my school when he started kindergarten. Same district, just different school. I had to get permission from my principal and from the school he should have gone to. A few years later, we actually bought a house in the neighborhood of the school where I worked so he no longer had to be placed there.

We were together for 4 years until I took a job elsewhere as a librarian.

He stayed with me in the mornings and went home with me in the afternoon. On Mondays, the elementary kids get out early so that teachers can plan in groups. For that, I was required to have childcare. He went home with a friend until I picked him up.

It was wonderful.

azazela
10-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Around here schools districts are city/town-centered and kids can only attend their home district/school with very few extenuating circumstances type of exceptions. A teacher who works in one district but lives in another can not send his/her children to the district where he/she works. Of course there are teachers/school staff who live in the district where they work and in that case, yes their kids do go to the same school when they are of an appropriate age (elem/middle/hs).

Karenn
10-02-2011, 12:20 PM
At our private school (where I *wish* teachers' kids got to attend for free!) teachers' kids often (but not always) attend the school where their parent works. This year I'm teaching one of DS's teacher's kids and DD is good friends with DS's other teacher's kid. It's all interwoven. :) The neighborhood thing isn't an issue because nobody lives in the same neighborhood anyway because it's a private school.

When DS was in public school, most teachers had their kids transfer to the school where they teach.

crl
10-02-2011, 12:26 PM
This year, yes. Last year, no. His teacher last year lived out of district so I'm not sure if she could have gotten them in. My understanding is that even in district, teachers are not guaranteed for their kids to go to their school. San Francisco has no neighborhood schools and the assignment system is complex and bizarre.

Catherine

kijip
10-02-2011, 12:35 PM
Many ps teachers in Seattle live in other cities and burbs because housing is/was so pricey here. I know PS teachers here whose kids go/previously went to their school, some whose kids are in private school, some who go to a different Seattle PS or a different district's public schools and some that homeschool. It is all over the map.

chlobo
10-02-2011, 12:38 PM
I live in a very small town. We do not have any districts. There is one school for k-8. So if a teacher lives in the town her child more than likely goes to the school. Kind of unavoidable unless they want to do private school.

That said, our town has one of the better schools in the state and we do allow out of town teachers to enroll their kids here. It's sort of a "perk" of the job, so to speak.

liamsmom
10-02-2011, 12:58 PM
I have never heard of a teacher getting to transfer his or her kids to a district other than their own based upon employment. Most of the teachers I know work wherever they can find a job and hope to find jobs either within their own district or as physically close as possible.

My MIL tried for years to get a job teaching at her kids' school, but a position in the Math dept. never opened up. So, she had her school's schedule and her kids' school schedules--and yeah, they often had different vacation schedules, etc.

almostamom
10-02-2011, 01:14 PM
When I taught in a public school it was about 50% of the teachers' own children attended our school. Some lived within the school's boundaries while others did not.

I teach at DS' school. I never thought I would want him to go to the same school I taught at. A lot of things factored into this decision. DS actually went to this school before I taught there. He is at school no later than 7 a.m. and we leave between 5:30 and 6 most days. He plays sports two days a week after school until 4:00. The rest of the afternoons he is either in "extended care" or with me in my room. He goes to "before care" every morning until school starts as we have mandatory staff meetings every morning.

The benefits for us are that we receive reduced tuition (50% when I'm full- time, 25% when I'm part-time). Last year I had a break twice a week when he was at lunch so I could go see him. His friends think it's really cool that I am a teacher. I don't know that DS would agree! ;) I love that there are times I walk past his classroom or he walks past mine and I get to see him. I have spied on him on the playground from my window upstairs. Last year he fell in the lunchroom and knocked out his two front teeth. I was right there.

The downside is that I couldn't attend his Back to School night. I was giving my own presentation. I probably won't get to go on any field trips with him. If/when there's a situation with his teacher, it's very uncomfortable because it's my coworker.

Right now it works for us, but I'm really looking forward to December when I go back to part-time.

Linda

n2ou
10-02-2011, 01:18 PM
My kids go to "my" school. I deliberately work at the school/district so my children can attend this school. We do not live in the same district but a neighboring district which performs much lower.

I have a true feeling of community at this school because I know all of my students, many of my kid's friends and most of the teachers. I think as a WOTH mom, it would be much harder to be part of the school family outside from where I work.

Hope that makes sense.

spanannie
10-02-2011, 01:30 PM
At our private school (where I *wish* teachers' kids got to attend for free!) teachers' kids often (but not always) attend the school where their parent works. This year I'm teaching one of DS's teacher's kids and DD is good friends with DS's other teacher's kid. It's all interwoven. :) The neighborhood thing isn't an issue because nobody lives in the same neighborhood anyway because it's a private school.

When DS was in public school, most teachers had their kids transfer to the school where they teach.

We are in private school and most of the teachers' children attend the school. That's probably part of the incentive of teaching there. As Karenn said, their kids don't go for free, but I believe they get 50% off at our school, which is quite a chunk of change.

WatchingThemGrow
10-02-2011, 01:52 PM
Our K teacher actually went to the school as a child when HER mom worked there, but DH did not When MIL worked there. Yes,most everyone's kids go there,even the principal brings her kids.

I am not sure what we will do when I go back to work because the school counselor knows everyone's business.

MelissaTC
10-02-2011, 02:09 PM
99% of the teachers and staff send their kids to M's Catholic school. The only exceptions have been students who need services. Some things can not be accomodated at our school. And no one gets a tuition break.

KrisM
10-02-2011, 02:10 PM
Our K teacher actually went to the school as a child when HER mom worked there, but DH did not When MIL worked there. Yes,most everyone's kids go there,even the principal brings her kids.

I am not sure what we will do when I go back to work because the school counselor knows everyone's business.

Our prinicpal went to our elem when she was a kid. Started kindergarten there in 1973!

jren
10-02-2011, 02:25 PM
The teachers that live in the school district that they teach in have their kids attend with them. Those that don't, I don't know if they get a choice? From what I've seen so far, they have their children in their home school district.