PDA

View Full Version : How big is your closet?

mypa
10-02-2011, 11:53 AM
I have closet envy. I'm so wishing I had a walk-in, easy to see, plenty of space, but no, I have a reach-in closet that's just under 6ft. and a small dresser. I love organized spaces and although we put in a closet organizer it is just plain too small for me as it also houses towels and cleaning supplies.

Everyone I know in this neighborhood who has the same model house complains about the small closet, and in fact, the neighbor across the street just moved because of this. Others use their kids closets.

So, how big is your closet?

happymomma
10-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Our closet is pretty small also. We live in a 1960s hous so closet space isn't great. It's considered a walk in but really really small one. I think it's about 4x5. So each of us take one side and it's just barely enough. We redid it with closet organizers so that we could optimize the space. I so wish we could have a bigger closet but the master bedroom isn't that big either.

AnnieW625
10-02-2011, 12:03 PM
I think our reach in is about 3+ ft. deep, and maybe 5 to 6 ft. wide. Our house was built in 1950, most women didn't need a work wardrobe, and single women teachers or women who worked probably didn't own a home then. DD1 has the biggest closet in our home, it's about 10 feet wide, but maybe 2/1/2 ft. deep. DD2's closet is the same as ours. I have an 8 drawer dresser, and DH has a 6 drawer dresser. DD1 has no dresser, and DD2 has a child's 6 drawer chifferobe that matches her crib.

WatchingThemGrow
10-02-2011, 02:35 PM
4 ft x 2ft:crying: Well, technically 52 INCHES across. DH and I share that and have one 6-drawer chest.

Jo..
10-02-2011, 02:48 PM
We have an enormous master closet. It is bigger than our 3rd bedroom.

It is one of the very few things I will miss about this house when/if we move or rebuild. It is hard to measure because it is "L-shaped", but on the long side of the L it is about 18' long, and the short side is 12' long. If I had to take a guess, I'd say it's well over 200 square feet.

I love my closet. :ROTFLMAO:

MamaMolly
10-02-2011, 02:50 PM
:bag Our new house has scrumptious closets. I don't mind saying it because we've lived with wimpy closets for waaaaaay too long. For example, right now we are in a hotel (yet again!) and we have a 3 foot closet for us and another for the girls. I feel like we finally are getting closet good karma.

My new closet (yes, MINE. DH has two of his own!) is walk in, built in drawers and shelves including angled shoe shelves, and lined with cedar. Walls and ceiling. :heartbeat: I loved the house before that, but just about fell to my knees and kissed the ground when I saw the closet!

mommylamb
10-02-2011, 02:52 PM
I'm pretty happy with my closets. I have 1 that is a small walk in and one that is a regular closet with sliding doors. DH has a regular sliding door closet of his own and keeps a few things in my walk in. Yet, my closets are still stuffed- mostly with stuff that I need to give away, which reminds me that I said I'd go through some of that stuff today to get it out.

lhafer
10-02-2011, 03:03 PM
My master closet is very large. And I love that it has a cubby up high where I store all my holiday decorations.

Melaine
10-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Mine is pretty small but not as little as the ones I grew up with. The other two bedrooms are totally skimpy in the closets. The best closet I had was in our first apartment. Only one bedroom, but a killer walk-in closet!

vludmilla
10-02-2011, 04:01 PM
I have a very small walk in closet. I think it is 4 or 5 feet deep by 7 or so feet wide. It doesn't have closet organizers yet so it isn't very effeciently used.

abh5e8
10-02-2011, 04:17 PM
ours is tiny...no walkin. it has the sliding doors, so 2 doors wide and just deep enough for 1 bar of hanging clothes. 1 shelf above. dh and i share it, with some plastic drawers on the bottom/floor for undies and socks. ds2 has the dresser in our room. ds1 and dd share the same size closet in their room, no dressers there.

our home is oldish...built in the 1950s with small rooms and closets. dh and i do put a few out of season things in the office closet, but all our every day things go in the closet. we just have small wardrobes :) i only buy what we love and we wear it a lot. i also like to shop, so the small closet is good for me because then i constantly pass on what i'm not loving and wearing. :)

scrooks
10-02-2011, 04:30 PM
We have a fairly decent sized master walkin closet. I have no complaints. Closet space in all of our bedrooms is quite good. Our guest room has a small walk in (with my overflow), and dd's room has 2 "standard" size closets (I'm guessing approx 2.5 feet deep by 4-5 feet each). DS is probably the worst. It's deep but has weird cutouts in it for the stairwell below. It's great for storing "things" (lots of baby stuff we aren't using now- my breast pump, the crib mobile...etc) but not good for hanging clothes.

fattytuna
10-02-2011, 04:41 PM
I have a good size walk-in in our master bedroom. The problem is, I think I was better at keeping things organized when I didn't have as much space. Because I have room, I'm not as diligent about cleaning out stuff right away.

hellokitty
10-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Our master has a very small walk in closet. It isn't very space efficient, I would love a bigger closet. The closets in the other bdrms seem pretty typical. Generally speaking, our master bdrm is pretty blah, it doesn't have all the nicer features that you typically think of when you think, "master bedroom."

LexyLou
10-02-2011, 04:49 PM
My husband and I both have our own walk in closets. We both have a tall dresser in ours, plus it kind of wraps around. But honestly, it's still not big enough!

Our bedroom has a third walk in closet that is so big that we actually turned it into an office. It has a full size desk, two file cabinets, a big bookshelf and all our gift wrapping stuff.

Sometimes I wish I kept it as a closet, but it's really nice having a full office space.

mypa
10-02-2011, 04:49 PM
Our closet is pretty small also. We live in a 1960s hous so closet space isn't great. It's considered a walk in but really really small one. I think it's about 4x5. So each of us take one side and it's just barely enough. We redid it with closet organizers so that we could optimize the space. I so wish we could have a bigger closet but the master bedroom isn't that big either.

I think our reach in is about 3+ ft. deep, and maybe 5 to 6 ft. wide. Our house was built in 1950, most women didn't need a work wardrobe, and single women teachers or women who worked probably didn't own a home then. DD1 has the biggest closet in our home, it's about 10 feet wide, but maybe 2/1/2 ft. deep. DD2's closet is the same as ours. I have an 8 drawer dresser, and DH has a 6 drawer dresser. DD1 has no dresser, and DD2 has a child's 6 drawer chifferobe that matches her crib.

Yes, my neighborhood (original tract in this area) was built in the 60's so everyone here has small closets, we don't even have one by the front door.

mypa
10-02-2011, 04:51 PM
We have an enormous master closet. It is bigger than our 3rd bedroom.

It is one of the very few things I will miss about this house when/if we move or rebuild. It is hard to measure because it is "L-shaped", but on the long side of the L it is about 18' long, and the short side is 12' long. If I had to take a guess, I'd say it's well over 200 square feet.

I love my closet. :ROTFLMAO:

:bag Our new house has scrumptious closets. I don't mind saying it because we've lived with wimpy closets for waaaaaay too long. For example, right now we are in a hotel (yet again!) and we have a 3 foot closet for us and another for the girls. I feel like we finally are getting closet good karma.

My new closet (yes, MINE. DH has two of his own!) is walk in, built in drawers and shelves including angled shoe shelves, and lined with cedar. Walls and ceiling. :heartbeat: I loved the house before that, but just about fell to my knees and kissed the ground when I saw the closet!

Insert Drool Icon Here.

mypa
10-02-2011, 04:53 PM
I have a good size walk-in in our master bedroom. The problem is, I think I was better at keeping things organized when I didn't have as much space. Because I have room, I'm not as diligent about cleaning out stuff right away.

I'm going to keep reminding myself of this.

mypa
10-02-2011, 04:57 PM
Mine is pretty small but not as little as the ones I grew up with. The other two bedrooms are totally skimpy in the closets. The best closet I had was in our first apartment. Only one bedroom, but a killer walk-in closet!

Same here, the apartment I lived in had great walk-in closets, plus tons of hallway cabinets, build-in bookshelves, entry closet, etc. My current house is at least 3x's the size of my old apartment yet it has less closet space?

LMPC
10-02-2011, 05:02 PM
The master bedroom closet is about 12'x10' and I love love love it! We moved from a NYC apt where my closet was about 3x3 (and that's really not an exaggeration)! I like that we can all be in there dressing and getting ready in the morning. Just bonus time together!

kijip
10-02-2011, 07:11 PM
Teeny tiny. But then, I have very few clothes so this does not bother me in the least. The last time we had a walk in closet, we used it for T's crib. Seriously.

mypa
10-02-2011, 08:47 PM
The master bedroom closet is about 12'x10' and I love love love it! We moved from a NYC apt where my closet was about 3x3 (and that's really not an exaggeration)! I like that we can all be in there dressing and getting ready in the morning. Just bonus time together!

Holy Moly! That's 2/3 the size of my master bedroom.

HonoluluMom
10-03-2011, 01:46 PM
For Hawaii, I think I have a pretty good sized walk-in master closet. I would guess probably 12' x 6'.

Twoboos
10-03-2011, 01:50 PM
We have his/hers closets in the master, both walkin. His is about 6x6, mine about 6x10.

We are moving soon and will have to share a (large walkin) closet again. It might be the downfall of our marriage, LOL!!! Although there is a bonus room of the master that I am already plotting to turn into a giant closet. ;)