PDA

View Full Version : Aching tailbone: what can I do?

longtallsally05
10-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Not sure if anything can be done about it, but I thought it'd be more productive to post here than the bitching post. Any tips or ideas? I had this with both previous pgs. I haven't broken anything (recently) but every time I get up and start walking, I have pain centered in my tailbone that radiates outwards. I know it is probably sciatica, as it mostly radiates down the side of my rear and I haven't had any trauma, but knowing what it is doesn't make it any easier to walk. Actually, I don't walk; I waddle. Big time. When I got up to check on (crying, shrieking) DS last night, I could hardly get up. My hip joints made a deep popping noise while getting out of bed, and before I could take off, I had to stand for a couple of minutes, checking to see if I could bear weight before hobbling away. It took forever to "walk" the 9 feet or so to DS's door. I can't do yoga, as I'm still coddling my left foot which hasn't fully healed from breaking it this summer. I'm not desperate enough to visit a chiropractor (yet). My last chiropractor was wonderful, but he said he never adjusts pg women b/c of the relaxin in their systems, which was disappointing, but probably wise. Massage doesn't make a difference. Anyone able to overcome this, and if so, how? I'm concerned b/c I still have a ways to go before my due date and this is getting worse over time. TIA

brittone2
10-02-2011, 05:30 PM
It is tough because w/ the relaxin, if it is something like sacroiliac joint dysfunction, it will often continue to go in/out.

You could look for a physical therapist experienced in treating pregnant women.

Sometimes a pregnancy support belt is helpful.

You can also talk to the PT about how to position yourself in bed. Sometimes that can make a difference.

I hope you can get some relief. I had sacroiliac joint dysfunction (if that's what you are dealing with-it may or may not be) in all 3 of my pregnancies. It isn't fun. :hug:

Melbel
10-02-2011, 05:55 PM
I have a broken tailbone and SI joint dysfunction. I have a pillow similar to this one, that helps relieve the pressure when sitting, especially on long car rides: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00137BENG/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0002DLY3M&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1999GDMZCEQAA8P40FR3

pastrygirl
10-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Chiro, chiro, chiro! I see mine every 3-4 weeks when pregnant, and every 6 weeks when not. If I didn't see her, my tailbone would ache constantly.

Tondi G
10-02-2011, 11:53 PM
I went to my chiropractor for sciatic pain and it did the trick for me. I highly recommend it! A friend of mine who happens to be a yoga instructor helped me figure out a few good stretches to do over the weekend while I was waiting to see my chiropractor. It helped some. I also saw an acupuncturist while pregnant, a few times. You could try alternating ice and heat. take some Tylenol if the pain gets really bad.

Maybe some of these would help you

http://www.livestrong.com/article/375268-stretches-for-sciatic-pain-in-pregnancy/

BabyBearsMom
10-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Prenatal yoga. I had bad sciatica when I was pg with DD and I just did the stretches whenever I felt the pain and I felt a thousand times better.

mommylamb
10-03-2011, 12:46 PM
I was having terrible sacroiliac pain last week and ended up going to a chiro. It feels much better now.

longtallsally05
11-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Update: It's worse...much worse. I've gone from aching bone pain, to hot & knotted muscles, to fiery nerve pain with weight bearing or when lifting my leg. Two days ago I actually couldn't get out of bed; I had to call DH back upstairs and ask him to help me up. I feel like I'm dragging my left leg forward with each step. I've made an appointment with a new chiropractor. Honestly, I'm nervous about being adjusted while I have all this relaxin in my system (don't want to overdo it). What do chiropractors do for sacroiliac joint dysfunction, anyway? I hope the new chiro can help me; I don't know how in the heck I'm going to get through an unmedicated labor & delivery if my back is so screwed up that I can barely move. Feeling a little nervous about all this...

daisymommy
11-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Just an FYI...there are chiros. that are specially trained, and often certified to work on pregnant women. If it were me, I would seek out one, rather than just a typically trained chiro. My last midwives office had a list of the ones in our area, and a table with brochures, for those who are prenatal-certified. Maybe you could do a Google search, or call a local midwife or birthing center and see if they have any reccomendations?

longtallsally05
11-01-2011, 02:16 PM
I'm going to a chiropractor recommended by my Bradley Method childbirth instructor. Apparently this one has a lot of experience working on pg women (including my Bradley instructor during her past pgs). I'm just nervous b/c my last chiro, whom I trusted & thought was fantastic, flatly refused to work on pg women b/c of all the relaxin. The OB practice I'm using (not my main OB, another doc in the practice) basically pooh-poohed my problem. Clearly, I need help & can't go on the way I've been, but I'm a bit anxious about what exactly chiros do for pregnant women in general and SI joint dysfunction in particular.

ShanaMama
11-02-2011, 08:21 PM
I'm sorry you're in such pain. I had terrible sciatica with my first pregnancy. The pain radiated down my leg but it got so bad I couldn't stand or walk without leaning on DH. I actually didn't know there was anything you could do for it. Luckily, mine resolved after some time.

longtallsally05
11-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Well, that made a difference. I have become so accustomed to walking wtih a limp (since I broke my foot in July) that I had almost forgotten how to walk without limping! This morning, my new chiropractor very gently adjusted my SI joint as well as some thoracic & cervical vertebrae. He is "Webster certified" (has special training for pelvic balance in pregnant women) so I felt better after we had a conversation about chiropractic care & pregnancy. I still have some muscle inflammation, but the shooting nerve pain is gone and I can bear weight equally on both legs. I should've put some ice packs in the freezer last night; I need to ice my back & tailbone for about 20 minutes. My muscles are so tight that it will pull things out of alignment sooner or later (probably sooner), but I'm hoping to keep experiencing this relief for a while. I'm going back next week for another adjustment. Until then, my OB prescribed some flexeril (muscle relaxant), if I really need it. I'm reluctant to take the medication while pregnant not only because I hate the thought of it passing to the baby, but also b/c I want my uterus to be able to work efficiently if I go into labor. I might take one before I go to bed at night just so I completely relax and don't wake up stiff and in pain in the morning. We'll see. I'm just glad that someone was able to do something to help alleviate this pain and increase my mobility!

amldaley
11-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Sciatic nerve pain is common in pregnancy, too. There are some simple exercises you can do, as well as wearing comfy, supportive shoes. Sleep with a pillow between your knees. And try a maternity support belt.

Google around to find some sites with good stretches or perhaps you OB can refer you for PT if your insurance covers it.

mmommy
11-03-2011, 07:33 PM
Glad to hear the chiro helped. I'd recommend finding a good prenatal yoga instructor to help you learn some poses to help relieve/avoid the pain.

edurnemk
11-03-2011, 07:40 PM
I had really bad lower back pain since early pg with DS, my OB gave me some exercises to do at home (and they helped a lot), and it turns out most of them are yoga exercises (I practiced yoga before being PG so I recognized them immediately). They helped a ton. So maybe pre-natal yoga in addition to the chiro would be helpful.