PDA

View Full Version : Pet hermit crab?

SnuggleBuggles
10-02-2011, 09:28 PM
Does anyone have one? Ds1 really wants one and I don't know much about them. I plan to research them too but I always like any btdt info!!

Beth

LMPC
10-02-2011, 09:42 PM
We had them at school when I was little...I just remember them being stinky.

Clarity
10-02-2011, 09:59 PM
We have them. You cannot have one, you should have 2-3 at minimum. They are social creatures. We have them in a 10 gallon tank that we got at Walmart for $12. They've got a log, some plastic tank trees, shells, sand and water and food dishes. They do smell a bit but I think it's the crab food which is fishy smelling. They are very easy to care for but we did lose one - the crab dh won for dd at a carnival that started the whole thing. I will add that we like to handle them but our biggest one pinched dd with his big claw and she screamed like crazy and we had to run her hand under water to get the crab to let go. ETA: we just don't have her hold them in her palm anymore. We set them down and watch them. Bonus - they don't urinate or defecate while they are out walking around.

They're easy enough to care for that we would do it again. We've had them a couple months and my dd's stlll love to watch them. Dh and I do too. There are some nice websites with info on keeping hermit crabs. You should definitely Google around.

lorinick
10-03-2011, 10:06 AM
We got one in Aug. on vaction this year. We got another one a few weeks later and that one died all ready. We will get another one soon.

designermv
10-03-2011, 10:09 AM
We have several and have had them for three years. Super easy to care for, but they do need and like a specific type of "crabitat" to thrive and be happy. ;) As a PP said, they are social and you will want at least two or three. They also love to change "outfits" so give them a nice selection of shells to try out. They like to burrow and dig, and a combination of reptile substrate and sand is a great medium for them. (link below will give you more details.)

Here is where I got most of my information (http://www.hermitcrabpatch.com/Hermit-Crab-Crabitat-Setup-a/148.htm) on setting up their happy home. Be sure NOT to give them tap water as the chlorine is bad for them and can kill them.

We love our crabbies. Good luck and have fun!

SnuggleBuggles
10-03-2011, 10:23 AM
Excellent replies, all! Sounds like everyone in the family may get their own crab. I'm glad I asked.

Beth