PDA

View Full Version : Ok help! BJ Summit XC, or Indie Twin?

todzwife
10-03-2011, 09:23 AM
I have been racking my brain for a decent double stroller that would fit our needs. I love my BJCMD, but I need air tires (or bigger tires). After going around in circles, looking at the P&T explorer, the BJ Summit XC and the B-ready, I ran into a recent listing for a Bumbleride indie twin on our semi-local craigslist. (about 2 1/2 hours away). Seagrass, she said they used it a couple of times. The town she lives in is very upscale, so I am not sure it's still available, but I emailed.

Anyway...I can get the BJ summit XC from Albee for $499. She's asking $400 for the Indie twin. If you were me, which would you choose. DD1 is 42 pounds, DD2 is 20 pounds. We plan on another child (our last) in about 2 years. I will sell my BJCMD, so whatever I choose will be my one and only. It will mostly be for walks, but during the summer we'll take it on vacations and it will go with us to Disney, zoo etc.

(I found another listing a bit older with pictures (it looks like the orange/blue? one) that looks to be in perfect shape for $350...)

HELP please!! Thank you!

roseyloxs
10-03-2011, 09:35 AM
orange and blue? Do you have a link? The man. year of the indie will probably decide if its a good deal or not. The tires are the best indication on what year the indie is. If the spokes are a more traditional bike spoke then its an 08 or older (but 08 may be the first year for indie twins). If it has the 3 metal bar spokes on the wheels then its an 09 or newer. The 2010s and 11s came with bumper bars and larger canopies too.

A 5 hour round trip drive would be a dealbreaker for me. I think I would choose the bumbleride but the larger tires of the summit may be nice for your older children. I do love the bumbleride for infants though. The massive canopy, deep recline, and adjustable leg rest makes for such a nice space for them.

todzwife
10-03-2011, 09:42 AM
It looks like the $350 is older:
http://westslope.craigslist.org/bab/2611933299.html

And it's even further than the other one so I doubt DH will go for an 8 hour round trip for a stroller LOL!

I'd be ok getting one from ebay too for around $600...

spannaz
10-03-2011, 10:00 AM
My vote is for the indie. If you are going to travel with it at some point, I think you'll appreciate the slightly smaller tires. And I agree with Rosyloxs, that long of a drive would be a dealbreaker. That's more than a half tank of gas and quite a bit of your time. My suggestion would be to go with an eBay seller or sell one of your other strollers to fund the purchase from a site that has free returns.

Good luck!

ETA: Just remembered people saying the Summit XC was quite wide (like some were saying it may be difficult to get through 'older standard' doors). Summit XC is listed at 32.5" wide, while Indie twin is listed as 29.5". Also, Indie has adjustable handlebar height, if that matters to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roseyloxs
10-03-2011, 10:33 AM
The spice color is so pretty. Looks like its an '08. One plus to the 08 strollers is the recline is actually a one handed bar recline. This changed in 2009 to a strap recline. The 08 strollers should also include zip-on footmuffs (no liner needed), car seat adapter, air pump and cupholder.

This shop (http://search.store.yahoo.net/dmart2/cgi-bin/nsearch?unique=9c585&catalog=dmart2) is still selling 2008 indie twins in ruby (http://www.dmart2000.com/buriintwrufr.html) and seagrass (http://www.dmart2000.com/buriintwsefr.html) for $549. They have 2009s too but they aren't worth the price. I would still contact them and see if they are willing to go any lower. Still seems like a lot for an 08 stroller.

PeppyParents
10-03-2011, 11:06 AM
Hi,

For an all-around, I don't think the Summit XC double is one of the better choices. I think it's great - VERY great - for outdoor use on all sorts of terrain, but it's big indoors and during travel.

If you can keep your BJCMD, that's a great combination with the Summit XC.

But as a one-and-only, I don't think you'll find the Summit XC your ideal.

Indie Twin is a much better direction. If you can get a newish Seagrass Twin for $400, that's a great price. Maybe she'd meet you halfway?

The Spice Indie Twin you noted is a 2008 model. That's 2-3 years of use on a stroller, one that you want to last another couple years into another child. I don't know if I'm keen on that idea for you, even if they took good care of it. That's alot of wear and tear, and you'd be well beyond warranty.

Hope those thoughts help!

todzwife
10-03-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks Heather :) That's exactly what my thought process was...

DH isn't thrilled about having several strollers in the garage, although once I folded the ones I'm not currently using a lot (BJCMD and BJCM and cybex) the only one "up" is my valco quad that I use for walking with my youngest every day.

I think for me, a BJ summit would be best IF he'd agree to let me keep the BJCMD for travel, but I don't think he would. He hates the "mess" in the garage LOL!

DD1 doesn't ride often. Maybe twice a week for walks right now and then for long outings like Disneyland. I would like to have 1 stroller that would function for both and the indie twin seems like a great compromise. Smaller than the summit, but better push than the mini double and still easy enough to travel with?? I wish he would have just spent the extra $100 to have the bike trailer that converts to a stroller.

Ugh, I don't know. I'm SO sick of researching double strollers, but with winter coming up and our new walk routine, I really want something that will be easier to push and something that will actually push in the snow if needed. And the child that we are planning on...I don't want to buy ANOTHER stroller when that happens, which is another reason I was looking at the indie.

todzwife
10-03-2011, 12:20 PM
It's a 2011 on craigslist for $400!! She has all the paperwork and everything :)

So either that or $599 for a 2010 w/ the rain cover and pump with free shipping...

spannaz
10-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Run!!! That seems worth a half tank of gas to me... :bighand:

Maybe she'd be willing to meet you part of the way...

todzwife
10-03-2011, 12:30 PM
She's got 3 kids...I'm not counting on it LOL! DH doesn't mind driving so I may send him Wednesday on his day off so I don't have to take my fevered baby (dang these teeth!)

I'm SO excited!

spannaz
10-03-2011, 12:33 PM
She's got 3 kids...I'm not counting on it LOL! DH doesn't mind driving so I may send him Wednesday on his day off so I don't have to take my fevered baby (dang these teeth!)

I'm SO excited!

That is seriously a great find!! Well done! Is this a brand new posting? Did she say she would hold it for you? I think this deserves another :bighand:.

BayGirl2
10-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Agree that the Indie sounds like a better fit for you. I just bought a Summit XC Double (anxiously awaiting its arrival on Wed.) but for me it will be for trail walking, jogging, and outdoors. The fold makes it a car-acceptable jogging stroller for me and the hand brake and recline made it more appealing than a Duallie. But if you are looking for indoor and travel use then the Indie seems the way to go. Sounds like you found a great deal, good luck!

todzwife
10-03-2011, 01:30 PM
That is seriously a great find!! Well done! Is this a brand new posting? Did she say she would hold it for you? I think this deserves another :bighand:

2 days old posting and she's holding it for me!

todzwife
10-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Ahhh! It gets better! She's willing to take $350 for it since we'll be driving so far!

*happy dance!*

roseyloxs
10-03-2011, 03:24 PM
That is awesome! What color is it? Not that it matters, they are all so pretty.

todzwife
10-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Seagrass!