PDA

View Full Version : Amanda Knox decision expected at 3:30PM Eastern

jenfromnj
10-03-2011, 03:17 PM
Not sure if anyone else has been following this case, but I am anxious to find out what the jury's ruling is. So much I've read about this case is just SO crazy.

TwoBees
10-03-2011, 03:19 PM
I've been following it. Thanks for the info.

happymomma
10-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Me too. It looks like it won't be announced till 3:45pm though.

boolady
10-03-2011, 03:29 PM
I've been fascinated by this case for a while now. I can't wait to see the verdict.

ThreeofUs
10-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Pushed back to 3:45.

This is Italy. Don't expect it on time.

scrooks
10-03-2011, 03:34 PM
I've been sitting here waiting and they keep delaying. I can only imagine the tension in the courthouse.

jenfromnj
10-03-2011, 03:37 PM
I've been fascinated by this case for a while now. I can't wait to see the verdict.

Jen, in your expert opinion, do you think she's guilty?

mikala
10-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Can anyone provide a quick summary of the case and what's so interesting about it? I did a quick search and see that she was convicted of murdering a roommate but haven't gotten to why it's a fascinating case.

Thanks!

HannaAddict
10-03-2011, 03:52 PM
She didn't do it, it has been a travesty. Terrible unethical prosecutor. He's been in trouble before. Great documentary on it, want to say it was PBS frontline but
Might have been cable. On my phone but hoping they cleared.

ThreeofUs
10-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Wow! Aquitted of the murder, not of defamation.

TwoBees
10-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Wow! Aquitted of the murder, not of defamation.

Oh thank goodness! The poor girl. I'm so glad they acquitted her.

scrooks
10-03-2011, 04:07 PM

:yeahthat: we watched 20/20 on Friday night and there was a lot of background on the prosecutor.

ThreeofUs
10-03-2011, 04:08 PM

I can't imagine being in her situation, but I still wonder what the heck happened. I just don't know.

larig
10-03-2011, 04:08 PM
I'm so glad about the murder and don't know what the penalty is for the other thing. Her family is from my little slice of seattle and it's been a great hardship for them. The father lost his job with Nordstroms as a result of all the time off he's had to take. I just can't imagine! Poor girl. Everything I've read about the case would indicate this was a lousy prosecutor who was just happy to have someone to pin it on. And just how believable is it for a couple of stoners to become violent murders?! I just don't follow that logic at all.

AbbysMom
10-03-2011, 04:22 PM
I think they said that the defamation charge was 3 years and she owed the prosecutor money (and she's served four). But the CNN translator was hard to understand! Man they should give her money for making her wait at that table for the verdict!

kmkaull
10-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Essentially, another guy was convicted of the actual murder and sexual assault. He's been in prison for a while. Amanda and her former boyfriend were originally convicted as being somehow involved. Original case was weak though--very questionable DNA. They held her on some of her statements to police which were eventually contested as she said she was coerced and confused because of the language barrier--she had studied Italian for just a couple of months.

Eventually some independent DNA testing showed absolutely no link to Amanda and the crime scene.

SnuggleBuggles
10-03-2011, 04:33 PM
I wouldn't have cared one bit but we randomly watched a 48 hours or some such about the case while visiting grandparents. Since then I have been following it. To be honest, I don't know if I really think she is not guilty. But I do think the system is darned corrupt and wrong.

Beth

boolady
10-03-2011, 04:37 PM
Jen, in your expert opinion, do you think she's guilty?

Snort, hardly, but since you asked...

She didn't do it, it has been a travesty. Terrible unethical prosecutor. He's been in trouble before.

:yeahthat:

I'm sorry for Meredith Kercher's family that this case has become all about the defendants, and not the victim, as too often happens, but this case has been a horrible demonstration of unchecked power. If you ever have the chance to read The Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston and Mario Spezi, an excellent book in its own right, you'll see all of the problems with the Italian judicial/investigative system and the potential for gross abuse as well as the issues with the particular prosecutor in the Knox case.

I also thought that Rolling Stone's article on the investigation and trial was very well done:
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/the-neverending-nightmare-of-amanda-knox-20110627

ETA: I have no idea whether or not she was involved, but there is absolutely no way she got a fair trial.