PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Ladies: Ds climbed out of his crib!

Indianamom2
10-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Ds is just a little over two and very small (barely 35 inches at best, with pretty short legs). Yet somehow he managed to climb out of his crib this afternoon (big sister put him in there while they were playing upstairs).

We have this crib:

http://babycache.com/site/products_heritage1.html

He will hurt himself if he does this many times. There's a ledge at the bottom of the crib that he will most certainly land on at some point. I am NOT ready for him to be in a bed. He will be up all night.

Is there a crib tent that will work with this style of crib? If so, are there any b/m stores that would carry it? DD never even tried this.....

cas
10-03-2011, 04:29 PM
What about this?

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=crib+tent&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7GWYE_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=5605010615978763599&sa=X&ei=vBqKTtavIdCPsAKD-ZG1Dw&ved=0CFsQ8wIwAQ#

Indianamom2
10-03-2011, 04:31 PM
That looks good, but I wonder if anyone carries them in a store? Anyone know?

elbenn
10-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Amazon sells them. I think it might be hard to get it in a B&M store. If you have Amazon prime, you can have it overnighted for an additional $4.

SnuggleBuggles
10-03-2011, 04:36 PM
My boys each had a fluke early crib escape. Only happened once and they never duplicated the feat till at least after that fluke. Maybe this was a one off. I'd wait and see, just in case, before buying anything.

Beth

nrp
10-03-2011, 04:37 PM
You might be surprised at his ability to stay in bed at that age - my DS transitioned to a twin around then and did surprisingly well (and he is NOT a calm child!).

That said, he climbed out of his crib around 18 months and I was not ready then to move him to a bed. We tried a crib tent but it didn't work well with our crib and was cumbersome. Then we tried the large sleepsacks, and that worked like a charm. With the sleepsack on, he couldn't swing his leg up and over the side. Much cheaper and less hassle than a crib tent, IMO! And portable. This worked for us for another six months until we moved DS to a bed.

Jo..
10-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Crib Tent II saved our lives. I learned about it right here on the BBB

daisymommy
10-03-2011, 05:45 PM

:yeahthat: I posted a "Help!" thread only a few months ago, when DS climbed/fell out 3 times, the last time on his head :( Thats when I knew I had to do something. Ordered the Crib Tent II on Amazon, paid an extra $4 for 1 day shipping. It's been great for us!

baileygirl
10-03-2011, 06:28 PM
We have the same crib tent (used it with both boys). DS2 (2.5) has been using it for a year.

DietCokeLover
10-03-2011, 06:57 PM
I definitely recommend the Crib Tent II (not the original). It has a netting that encompasses the entire crib so that your child can not get out, but is completely breatheable.

Both of my DC started climbing out at 15 mos, so this was a life saver for me.

Momit
10-03-2011, 08:41 PM
Our DS had one isolated climbing out incident maybe around 18 months, then it never happened again. We made it until one month before age 3 in the crib before he climbed out 3x in one night and we got rid of it. I would have tried a crib tent to buy us a little more time, but he seemed cramped in the crib so we figured it was time to go to a regular bed. He doesn't sleep anywhere near as well as he did in the crib, he hardly ever stays in bed all night - either he keeps getting up when it's time to go to sleep, or he wanders into our room in the middle of the night. I would say go with the option that keeps your DC in the crib longer!

mom2binsd
10-04-2011, 09:24 AM
Get the crib tent...it works great!

gatorsmom
10-04-2011, 11:10 AM

:yeahthat: x100. Thank God for Crib Tent II.

Hawkeyewife
10-04-2011, 11:45 AM
I like the sleepsack suggestion, but have you considered just placing the crib mattress on the floor and transitioning to a bed. All four of mine were in beds around 18 months. The naptime transition was the most difficult, but after about a week or two things got back to normal.

lowrioh
10-04-2011, 12:06 PM
It may well have been a fluke. DD1 climbed out of her crib at around 28 months and then didn't do it again for 3-4 months. I would wait and see if he does it again and then take action.
DD1 moved into her toddler bed around 32 months and I was shocked that she actually stayed in the bed.