PDA

View Full Version : Is a "thank you" too much to expect?

HonoluluMom
10-03-2011, 04:36 PM
This is pretty petty. A co-worker sent a mass email asking for donations to a charity and included a link to her donation page. I made a donation and haven't heard a peep from my co-worker about it. Uh . . . a thank you or even an acknowledgment would be nice.

mom_hanna
10-03-2011, 08:45 PM
I agree completely. A thank you would be just common courtesy.

TwinFoxes
10-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Was it awhile ago?if it's recently, maybe she's working on it, or she sends them through the organization (maybe they haven't let her know the names of her contributors?) If it has been awhile, especially if the event is over, I'd be pissed off too, and scratch her off my charitable giving list.

citymama
10-03-2011, 09:15 PM
I think she owes you a thank you! I recently donated to an acquaintance's bike ride for charity and got a TY email within minutes.

I'm miffed about all the August bday parties we attended with zero TYs, not even via email. Argh.

vludmilla
10-03-2011, 09:24 PM
I think she owes you a thank you! I recently donated to an acquaintance's bike ride for charity and got a TY email within minutes.

I'm miffed about all the August bday parties we attended with zero TYs, not even via email. Argh.

Eek. I was just at the table after dinner with DD trying to finish up thank-you's for her late August birthday :bag

KrisM
10-03-2011, 09:50 PM
I donated online to a friend who was doing the 3-day walk. I donated $100 in early August. The walk was mid-August. I've not been thanked at all either. Pretty annoying. I hope we both get thanked soon.

glbb35
10-04-2011, 09:15 AM
KrisM: I donated online to a friend who was doing the 3-day walk. I donated $100 in early August. The walk was mid-August. I've not been thanked at all either. Pretty annoying. I hope we both get thanked soon.

I totally agree. I also donated last year to my SIL's walk and donated a lot of $$$ and never once did she say thank you. I even emailed her a few days later and asked her how the walk went (it was the longest distance she had ever done) and told her to let me know how it all went. nothing. Big nothing from her. But sure enough it was all over her facebook page a few days later.

When her DH ran for office, the same thing. Made a donation to his campaign and again nothing. We knew they got it as my IL's said they had received it. This wasn't chump change either.

We just let it go, in the scheme of things it isn't that important. It is hurtful that not once have they ordered anything from DS#1 when he had a Cub Scout fundraiser. So next time they ask we will just politely decline.

BTW, besides the neighborhood families who support Cub Scouts here (we thank them when we drop stuff off) I made DS write a small thank you to everyone else who ordered on-line and supported him. I almost dread his b-day coming up as he will have to write 20 thank you notes! which means I have to stand there while he writes them :) But at least he will be known to have good manners.

B

DS 03, 06, twins 09 and new baby 7/11

momm
10-04-2011, 09:20 AM
wow.. I can't believe these stories! How rude are people? How ungrateful!

I would feel so grateful if someone took the time to even donate the smallest amount. I can't imagine being so "busy" or things falling off the radar like that. Shameful!

alien_host
10-04-2011, 04:24 PM
This has happened to me at least once. I mean you send a barage of e-mails asking for a donation, I donate and then you go silent.

It would be nice if the person could send an update after the event to say "thanks so much for donating, the event was great"....or whatever.

I don't need a handwritten note or even a personalized e-mail, but an ACKNOWLEDGEMENT of some sort would be nice.

KrisM
10-04-2011, 04:28 PM
This has happened to me at least once. I mean you send a barage of e-mails asking for a donation, I donate and then you go silent.

It would be nice if the person could send an update after the event to say "thanks so much for donating, the event was great"....or whatever.

I don't need a handwritten note or even a personalized e-mail, but an ACKNOWLEDGEMENT of some sort would be nice.

This reminded me of something. Years ago, I walked a marathon for the Lukemia and Lymphoma Society with Team in Training. I raised $6500 or so. I sent a written note asking for donations. I then sent a thank you to everyone. Immediately after the race, I emailed everyone letting them know I finished. When I returned home, I sent a flyer with another thanks and a couple pictures printed on it of me finishing. None of this took long and it just seemed that if people were so generious to me, it was the least I could do.

ewpmsw
10-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Most of the on line donations we've made via links have resulted in automatic thank-you messages immediately following the event. We've never received a written or email thank you from anyone for donating to their cause, probably because they know the organization sends out thank-you form letters. Sometimes participants (friends and family) post a thank you on Facebook. A lack of thank you notes seems to be the norm, just as there are plenty of soliciations from their charities to let us know there are more opportunities to donate.