PDA

View Full Version : New Ikea Gulliver crib - fiberboard?

lt09
10-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Hello!

The Ikea Gulliver crib just returned to my local Ikea (post-June 28 new crib standards), and I picked one up this weekend.

It has a "fiberboard" mattress support, attached to wooden slats. Is this the same as MDF? Should I be concerned about formaldehyde emissions?

I know the Gulliver has received many good reviews in the past. For those who have an earlier Gulliver model (pre-June 28 standards), does it also have the fiberboard mattress support?

Thanks in advance for any info!

fedoragirl
10-04-2011, 02:11 AM
We have a Gulliver and bought it in 2009. It does not have any support over the slats. If you are concerned about MDF (and I would be), just remove the fiberboard and rest the mattress directly on the slats. We do and DD is 20 months old and still in her crib without any issues.

lt09
10-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Hi fedoragirl,

Thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately, the mattress support is essentially fiberboard with just 7 slats already attached/glued to it (you can see it here in the assembly instructions):

http://www.ikea.com/assembly_instructions/gulliver-cot-na-70x132-cm__FWLC04_PUB.PDF

With regards to MDF, Ikea says they meet the German E1 standards for their wooden products. However, I still wonder if even reduced formaldehyde emissions can be harmful to a tiny baby.

LMPC
10-04-2011, 09:52 PM
Hmmmm, can you find a description of the German standards? The reason I ask is because the EU is IMO much more strict about kids' stuff than the US (think parabens and flame retardants). You might find that the levels are incredibly low.

lt09
10-04-2011, 10:17 PM
From what I understand, the E1 standard is 0.1 ppm.

Just read the following on various websites: "When formaldehyde is present in the air at levels exceeding 0.1 ppm, some individuals may experience adverse effects such as watery eyes; burning sensations in the eyes, nose, and throat; coughing; wheezing; nausea; and skin irritation. Some people are very sensitive to formaldehyde, whereas others have no reaction to the same level of exposure."

So while 0.1 ppm sounds low, it seems like it's just on the border of (potentially) causing problems. I guess that answers my question.