PDA

View Full Version : OLSAT--gifted test...when is your child taking it?

BeachBum
10-03-2011, 08:25 PM
DS's kindy teacher said that she intended to refer DS for gifted, but most kids did better in the spring rather than now. If he didn't pass he wouldn't be eligible to take it again until second grade. I need to let her know this week if I want him referred now or if I would rather wait until the spring.
What are you guys doing and why?

SnuggleBuggles
10-03-2011, 09:10 PM
I'd wait. It's only kindergarten. Most schools don't test that young anyway. I don't think he will be missing anything truly valuable at the k level by not being in the gifted program till the midway point of the year. If this were another grade I'd say go for it but in k everyone is still adjusting and there is lots going on without an extra thing, imo.

Beth

belovedgandp
10-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Would there be an advantage for this school year? Or would he continue to do the same thing for the next six months? I guess it would depend on what "passing" qualifies him for. If nothing big this year, but something more in the two years before he could be tested again than I'd wait for the spring.

In general if he's being challenged, enjoys school, and isn't bored in the classroom I don't see a big advantage to gifted programs in the early elementary age. My DS is in 2nd grade and gets pulled out based on teacher input only to work with the gifted teacher. They don't start until 1st grade and it's more of getting familiar with the teacher and doing a few extra projects. They won't formally test until 3rd to start programs in 4th.