PDA

View Full Version : So, I got laid off today...

jenstring95
10-03-2011, 09:33 PM
after 15 years of work. It's not as bad as it sounds; I haven't worked FT since DS was born 6 years ago. In fact, currently I worked only ~5 hours per week. It's just, you don't expect to leave a workplace after 15 years on someone else's terms, YKWIM? I think the whole place is closing down. Twenty were let go today with 15 remaining on staff. I suspect it's just a matter of time, though - possibly only a few weeks. :( I will miss all my friends, although I know I am lucky that I don't really *need* the money. I just figured I could go back to work more after DD goes to kindergarden (2 more years). I feel horribly for my friends who DID need this job. It's been quite a surreal day. This economy sucks. :(

ThreeofUs
10-03-2011, 09:39 PM
I'm so sorry! :hug:

wencit
10-03-2011, 09:41 PM
So sorry to hear it, and yes, this economy does suck!

:hug:

amldaley
10-03-2011, 09:41 PM
It is a strange feeling of detachment, isn't it? Hope this proves to be a blessing in disguise for you!

veronica
10-03-2011, 09:43 PM
I'm sorry. It is a sad day. I admire you for working in one place for 15 years. That is so rare these days. I've been a SAHM for 5 years now but none of my jobs ever made me feel like I would have stayed for that long. I think I'm just an unhappy CPA though...

trcy
10-03-2011, 09:45 PM
I am so sorry :hug: My aunt was in a similar situation except where she was working did close down and she wasn't there nearly as long as you. Hopefully with one door closing another will open.

twowhat?
10-03-2011, 10:10 PM
So sorry!!! I'm in a similar boat, except that I am working FT. Company will be shutting down and we'll all be looking for new jobs. The state of the economy makes me so angry. At this rate, we'll never retire comfortably!

Mermanaid
10-03-2011, 10:15 PM
So sorry! I was RIF'ed today after 7.5 years working full time (plus some!). I understand how you feel.

maiaann
10-03-2011, 10:32 PM
(((HUGS))) :grouphug:

crl
10-03-2011, 10:38 PM
after 15 years of work. It's not as bad as it sounds; I haven't worked FT since DS was born 6 years ago. In fact, currently I worked only ~5 hours per week. It's just, you don't expect to leave a workplace after 15 years on someone else's terms, YKWIM? I think the whole place is closing down. Twenty were let go today with 15 remaining on staff. I suspect it's just a matter of time, though - possibly only a few weeks. :( I will miss all my friends, although I know I am lucky that I don't really *need* the money. I just figured I could go back to work more after DD goes to kindergarden (2 more years). I feel horribly for my friends who DID need this job. It's been quite a surreal day. This economy sucks. :(

So sorry!!! I'm in a similar boat, except that I am working FT. Company will be shutting down and we'll all be looking for new jobs. The state of the economy makes me so angry. At this rate, we'll never retire comfortably!

So sorry! I was RIF'ed today after 7.5 years working full time (plus some!). I understand how you feel.

:grouphug:

Catherine

larig
10-03-2011, 10:39 PM
It does totally suck. sorry about the lay off. :grouphug:

overcome
10-04-2011, 12:02 AM
I'm sorry to hear that. Even though you are okay with it and not in a dire situation, it's still a passing of sorts, and sad.

May sound hokey, but I FIRMLY believe when one door closes another one opens. And you know what Dr Seuss said....Don't cry bc it's over, smile bc it happened.

((hug))

niccig
10-04-2011, 12:42 AM
I'm sorry to hear that. Even though you are okay with it and not in a dire situation, it's still a passing of sorts, and sad.

May sound hokey, but I FIRMLY believe when one door closes another one opens. And you know what Dr Seuss said....Don't cry bc it's over, smile bc it happened.

((hug))

:yeahthat: I hope something better opens up for you.

kozachka
10-04-2011, 12:47 AM
:22: to you and to your colleagues. Hope something even better comes up.

citymama
10-04-2011, 01:00 AM
I'm so sorry. You too, mermanaid. Like twowhat?, I might find myself in the same situation in a few months and we really need my income. I hope your job loss turns out to be a blessing in disguise, although I hear you on the "not on my terms" issue. :grouphug: