PDA

View Full Version : pronounce the word properly please!

momof2girls
10-03-2011, 10:23 PM
Dear BFF,
The word is piCtures not pichers...thank you.

LMPC
10-03-2011, 10:40 PM
:hysterical: Doesn't it just make your skin crawl?

lovebebes
10-04-2011, 01:09 AM
YESSSSS.

And, dear co-worker, its espresso not eXpresso.

Reyadawnbringer
10-04-2011, 06:28 AM
ugh, my boss is the worst at this. Pronounces the word "specific" as "pacific"....

wendibird22
10-04-2011, 08:49 AM
My father says Sa-ur-day instead of Saturday and it drives me bonkers!

happy2bamom
10-04-2011, 09:14 AM
My dear friend says kind-ee-garden, instead of kindergarden. It actually seems to be a regional thing b/c I've heard other people in her area say it. ugghh.

♥ms.pacman♥
10-04-2011, 09:17 AM
ARGH, this is one of my pet peeves!! i live in TX and that pronunciation is apparently very common here.

and don't get me started on GWB and "nuclear." Ugh, so annoying.

Nechums
10-04-2011, 10:10 AM
[quote=

Penny's Pappa
10-04-2011, 10:36 AM
My dear friend says kind-ee-garden, instead of kindergarden. It actually seems to be a regional thing b/c I've heard other people in her area say it. ugghh.

KindergarTen :)

wellyes
10-04-2011, 11:20 AM
There is a Panera bread commercial on right now where the announcer calls foccacchia "fo-casha" (no accent) it and grates.

ThreeofUs
10-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Oh, yeah. And liberry for library.

MamaMolly
10-04-2011, 12:23 PM
joo-loo-ry for jewelry. I can remember my mom muttering jew-WELL-ry to herself when I was little. Now I do it! ;)

BabyBearsMom
10-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Ugh, I hate when people say "aks" instead of "ask". Drives me nuts.

I sometimes say "idear" instead of "idea" :bag

MMMommy
10-04-2011, 12:55 PM
I have a friend who says "supposably" instead of "supposedly." Same friend pronounces Havarti Cheese as "Havaratti" (like Pavarotti).

WatchingThemGrow
10-04-2011, 01:12 PM
MIL says - every time she babysits for us (5.5 years' worth) ... di-a-per

makes me crazy.

elektra
10-04-2011, 01:33 PM
ARGH, this is one of my pet peeves!! i live in TX and that pronunciation is apparently very common here.

I think of this every time DD says "regular". She pronounces it "reglear". So she should have no problem with "nuclear". ;)

gatorsmom
10-04-2011, 01:40 PM
DH says Feb-you-ary. He also says (and I swear he has tried to get this right and can't) Mass-ah-too-$hits. Thank God we don't actually know anyone from that state. :duck:

He also pronouces people from Vietnam the Vee-et-mah-nese. Every time. I really think he's incapable of saying them correctly. I love giving hiim carp about it. :D

elektra
10-04-2011, 01:48 PM
OK, I totally say Feb-you-ary, expresso, and fo-casha. I do know how to spell these words, but I still say them this way. I am so uncouth!

On the other hand, when DH pronounced "accoutrements" yesterday in full French accent, and being completely serious, I thought it sounded funny. ;)

veronica
10-04-2011, 01:54 PM
you put your clothes away in a drawER not a draw.......

Simon
10-04-2011, 02:25 PM
Dear Mom, its not Eye-talian food, the country is not Eye-taly.

Dear random person at the zoo, that animal is not an Orange-you-tang.
She said it multiple times, so I didn't just mishear her.

ETA: I do know that I say Britax wrong but I'm not willing to change.

*myfoursons
10-04-2011, 02:49 PM
And they aren't "aSSessories". Really. And I'm looking at you, Genevieve, Ms. HGTV designer. Shouldn't a designer know how to pronounce that?

elbenn
10-04-2011, 02:53 PM
It's foliage, not foilage!

zag95
10-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Dear dad-
It's not WARSH (as in Warshington DC, or I'm going to warsh that item)- there is no R in wash..... same to you dad's sister!

erv917
10-04-2011, 03:06 PM
It's refrigerator, not "frigerator"! C'mon people! Also hate "fustrated" in place of "frustrated." My dad says "southmore" instead of "sophmore." Was very glad to get through that year in high school and college and not have to hear him say it anymore!:tongue5:

NCGrandma
10-04-2011, 03:26 PM
I do know that I say Britax wrong but I'm not willing to change.

:yeahthat: When DGD1 was born 7 years ago, we all said it 'Brit-ax' and have kept doing it until I saw a video ad recently at BuyBuyBaby which said 'Bright-ax' -- is it safe to assume that the company's own video is correct? Even if it is, my guess is that it will always be 'Brit-ax' in our family

gcc2k
10-04-2011, 03:46 PM
:yeahthat: When DGD1 was born 7 years ago, we all said it 'Brit-ax' and have kept doing it until I saw a video ad recently at BuyBuyBaby which said 'Bright-ax' -- is it safe to assume that the company's own video is correct? Even if it is, my guess is that it will always be 'Brit-ax' in our family

I have always said "Britt-Ax" but really have no idea how to say it. So should I be saying "Bright-Ax"?

What about Robeez? Is it Row-beez or Rob-beez?

Oh, yeah. And liberry for library.

:yeahthat: I am a school librarian, and I once worked for a principal who called it a liberry. I mean COME ON! What bush to liberries grow on?

MamaMolly
10-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Dear Mom, its not Eye-talian food, the country is not Eye-taly.

Nor is it pronounced IT-lee.

:)Fun thread!!

MommyAllison
10-04-2011, 04:55 PM
The most annoying to me is "ree-la-tur" instead of "realtor" - and soooooo many people around here say it that way! And like a PP said, Warshington drives me a little crazy too.

Twoboos
10-04-2011, 06:57 PM
DH says Feb-you-ary. He also says (and I swear he has tried to get this right and can't) Mass-ah-too-$hits. Thank God we don't actually know anyone from that state. :duck:

HEY! I am offended! Along with all the other Ma$$-holes, I'm sure!! :ROTFLMAO: (No, wait. I'm not really. I've been called worse. :hysterical: )

I overheard one today that I can't remember now... it's killing me. But I muttered the correct pronunciation to myself.

ETA: I remembered. Irregardless instead of regardless. I never thought this was a word. Then I googled and it sounds like it's becoming more accepted! YIKES!

ETAA: And I have to add in Ax instead of Ask, which I know someone already mentioned. But it makes me crazy!!

Melanie
10-04-2011, 07:09 PM
OMG! THAT IS SUCH A PET PEEVE OF MINE! I actually just corrected Ds on it last night, turns out I was only half-listening and he was talking about pitchers. :rotflmao:

And while we are at it - KINDY-garten is kindER-garten! :banghead: One of the teachers at Dc's school says that!

Or Sah-er-day...for Saturday. Some idiot woman on the CBS radio here WHO FREAKING DOES THE WEATHER, misprounounces the days like that.

That and of course, NUCULAR makes me want to gouge out my ears. TG I don't have to hear that on the evening news regularly anymore.

Can you tell I grew up with a Journalism major/editor mom?

However...my grandparents used to say 'warsh' and instead of -day it was Sundy, Mondy, Tuesdy... ;)

vludmilla
10-04-2011, 07:28 PM
I have a coworker who talks about the "underlining point" when she must mean underlying point. I've had to seriously bite my tongue.

fivi2
10-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Also hate "fustrated" in place of "frustrated."

omg - dh says that. He is the only one I have ever heard do that and it drives me insane.

He also says wind-meal instead of windmill. kills me every time.

But, umm, how am I supposed to say February? I definitely drop the R - never heard it any other way? What am I missing on that one?

jenfromnj
10-04-2011, 07:51 PM
:yeahthat: to all of these!

It drives me crazy when people call February 14 Valentime's Day. Dudes, it's not an M, it's an N!

Also, many of my ILs (3rd and 4th generation Italian) use the faux-"authentic" pronunciations of Italian food. Mutz-a-dell for mozzarella, gab-a-gool for cappicola, and so on. And they are really obnoxious about insisting their way is THE way, and mock me for pronouncing these things the way I actually heard them pronounced IN ITALY. :6:

I think it's Rob-beez, but please don't quote me on that ;)!

kara97210
10-04-2011, 08:07 PM
Also, many of my ILs (3rd and 4th generation Italian) use the faux-"authentic" pronunciations of Italian food. Mutz-a-dell for mozzarella, gab-a-gool for cappicola, and so on. And they are really obnoxious about insisting their way is THE way, and mock me for pronouncing these things the way I actually heard them pronounced IN ITALY.
:yeahthat:

My husband pronounces gnocchi - Gah-know-chi. I bristle every time he says it.

Penny's Pappa
10-04-2011, 08:12 PM
I have a coworker who talks about the "underlining point" when she must mean underlying point. I've had to seriously bite my tongue.

Yeah, like when people say a point is "mute." Uhm, no. The word is "moot."

I had a couple friends try to tell me to pull a rope "taunt." I told them I'd pull it "taut" instead.

----------
Sent from the aether using Tapatalk.

jjordan
10-04-2011, 08:20 PM
I have always said "Britt-Ax" but really have no idea how to say it. So should I be saying "Bright-Ax"?

:yeahthat: I am a school librarian, and I once worked for a principal who called it a liberry. I mean COME ON! What bush to liberries grow on?

It is, indeed, Br-eye-tax, not Brih-tax.

I have no idea about Robeez, although I've always said Row-beez.

OMG! THAT IS SUCH A PET PEEVE OF MINE! I actually just corrected Ds on it last night, turns out I was only half-listening and he was talking about pitchers. :rotflmao:

And while we are at it - KINDY-garten is kindER-garten! :banghead: One of the teachers at Dc's school says that!

Or Sah-er-day...for Saturday. Some idiot woman on the CBS radio here WHO FREAKING DOES THE WEATHER, misprounounces the days like that.

That and of course, NUCULAR makes me want to gouge out my ears. TG I don't have to hear that on the evening news regularly anymore.

Can you tell I grew up with a Journalism major/editor mom?

However...my grandparents used to say 'warsh' and instead of -day it was Sundy, Mondy, Tuesdy... ;)

That's actually an acceptable pronunciation of the days of the week. ;)

ChristinaLucia
10-04-2011, 08:37 PM
DH makes fun of me for the way that I pronounce bag. I am from Minnesota and I totally can't hear the difference.

Nyfeara
10-04-2011, 08:44 PM
I had a co-worker that always said frajita instead of fajita.

momof2girls
10-04-2011, 09:15 PM
and it is Legos, not LAy-gos

wellyes
10-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Link to a brand pronunciation guide from a while back:http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=336662&highlight=pronunciation+guide

But :bag I had to ask a Target associate where the Roundabouts were and I said "Bri-tax" even though I knew it was wrong, because I didn't want to sound like a tool.

But, umm, how am I supposed to say February? I definitely drop the R - never heard it any other way? What am I missing on that one?

It's subtle but the "r" is not silent. The proper pronunciation is closer to "Feb-er-ary" than to "Feb-you-ary". Most people prefer the latter, but then again, most people say "nu-cle-ar".

elbenn
10-04-2011, 09:35 PM
Also, it's hundred, not hunderd. This is mispronounced so much!

KrisM
10-04-2011, 09:55 PM
I had a couple friends try to tell me to pull a rope "taunt." I told them I'd pull it "taut" instead.

When I worked, part of my job was a design release engineer for chains in a transfer case. Anyhow, 'taut' was part of the chain drawing and on about 50% of the prints, it was 'taunt'. These are the actual prints that are used to make the chain. I went through and made workorders for everyone to be changed to 'taut'.

KLD313
10-04-2011, 09:57 PM
Also, many of my ILs (3rd and 4th generation Italian) use the faux-"authentic" pronunciations of Italian food. Mutz-a-dell for mozzarella, gab-a-gool for cappicola, and so on. And they are really obnoxious about insisting their way is THE way, and mock me for pronouncing these things the way I actually heard them pronounced IN ITALY.
:yeahthat:

My husband pronounces gnocchi - Gah-know-chi. I bristle every time he says it.

Haha! This cracked me up because of my Italian family. My grandfather used to say sangwich instead of sandwich and I think that's an Italian thing too.

momof2girls
10-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Haha! This cracked me up because of my Italian family. My grandfather used to say sangwich instead of sandwich and I think that's an Italian thing too.

LOL! My childhood neighbor used to say that and now my sister will occassionally say it just to get a chuckle during our famliy gatherings.

Penny's Pappa
10-04-2011, 10:54 PM
When I worked, part of my job was a design release engineer for chains in a transfer case. Anyhow, 'taut' was part of the chain drawing and on about 50% of the prints, it was 'taunt'. These are the actual prints that are used to make the chain. I went through and made workorders for everyone to be changed to 'taut'.

The real funny thing was that same day I was calling the shells you make burritos out of "tor-till-as" (on purpose mind you. I do know that it's pronounced "tor-tee-yas".) My friends must have thought I was a real moron for saying that and trying to correct them for "taunt!"

Drag0nflygirl
10-04-2011, 11:17 PM
Both not "bolth". I ate bolth of the doughnuts.

citymama
10-04-2011, 11:42 PM

KindergarTen :)

Heh, yes DDs school principal says kindee-garden for kindergarten and it cracks me up/alarms me. What part of the world do they pronounce it that way?

Argh, nuk-you-lar! I don't even get it. How hard is it to say "new-cleear"?

My pet peeves are malapropisms - I had a boss who would say "orientate" when he meant "orient" and actually once said we needed to "nip something in the *butt*" when he meant "bud." I seriously could not keep a straight face!

lovebebes
10-04-2011, 11:52 PM
and please it's

Victoria's Secret NOT Victoria's SecretS.

this one in particular really really bothers the carp out of me. Victoria has only one secret.

Melanie
10-05-2011, 12:21 AM
I always said Row-beez, but to be honest she named it after her kid Robert, so I'm guessing it's supposed to be Robbie's.

wellyes
10-05-2011, 08:31 AM
How about 'conversate'?

kedss
10-05-2011, 09:12 AM
One thing that makes me crazy is the use of 'loose' instead of 'lose' as in "I am loosing my mind today." Sometimes it would be grand if I could loose my mind. ;)

NCGrandma
10-05-2011, 09:19 AM
I always said Row-beez, but to be honest she named it after her kid Robert, so I'm guessing it's supposed to be Robbie's.

Yeah, we still said Row-beez, too, even after we learned the origin of the name. Just for fun, I looked at the 'official Robeez site' to see if it had pronounciation info. No such luck, but I learned that Robeez has been bought out by Stride-Rite!! (That's probably old news to most of you but my DGD1 had outgrown Robeez by then...)

So perhaps we need a new thread about commercial names that are intentionally misspelled?

amldaley
10-05-2011, 10:03 AM
I have a friend who says "supposably" instead of "supposedly." Same friend pronounces Havarti Cheese as "Havaratti" (like Pavarotti).

Every other word posted I have heard and agree with.

The "havarti" as "havaratti" just made me laugh out loud. And now I have to pee.

My BFF and I have a mutual Ex. We both thought he was sweet and very good looking but dumb as a box of rocks.

He always tried to put on airs, but fouled it up every time. He could never pronounce Placido Domingo's name. It was always Pacebo Bombingo or something of the like. That was 15+ years ago. BFF and I can still just look at each other and say "Pacebo Bombingo" and break out in laughter. I can't wait to share "Havaratti" with her!!!!!!!!!!!!

amldaley
10-05-2011, 10:08 AM
We had a dear friend who passed away recently.

He would confuse "misnomer" and "nomenclature"...and would usually just say "misnomerclature".

He would also use the word "caveat" incorrectly. Actually, many Marines I work with use it incorrectly. The use it to refer to a tangent, a side topic, a category...I still can't for the life of me discern what word they should be using instead that would be confused for "caveat"....

ETA: His goofy bumbling of words is one of the things we remember most sweetly about him.

amldaley
10-05-2011, 10:15 AM

I used to see similar issues on drawings when I edited patent files. It was soooo not part of my job, but I would include it on the report back to the PTO just to let the examiner know!

And besides, you should never taunt a rope. That's knot nice.

{sorry.....had to do it...:D}

amldaley
10-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Both not "bolth". I ate bolth of the doughnuts.

That sounds like a person trying to say "both" with the both of the doughnuts in his/her mouth!!!!

amldaley
10-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Also, it's hundred, not hunderd. This is mispronounced so much!

Or Hunerd. We hear that alot around here.

amldaley
10-05-2011, 10:22 AM
My pet peeves are malapropisms - I had a boss who would say "orientate" when he meant "orient" and actually once said we needed to "nip something in the *butt*" when he meant "bud." I seriously could not keep a straight face!

This or "butt-naked" instead of "buck-naked". I guess, if one's posterior was exposed, it could be butt-naked, but that is not the original phrase. I also recently heard, "butt naked as a jaybird".

wellyes
10-05-2011, 10:47 AM
He would confuse "misnomer" and "nomenclature"...and would usually just say "misnomerclature".

He would also use the word "caveat" incorrectly. Actually, many Marines I work with use it incorrectly. The use it to refer to a tangent, a side topic, a category...I still can't for the life of me discern what word they should be using instead that would be confused for "caveat"....I love how fancy-talking these grammar fails are.

ETA: now I'm self-conscious, "fails" is just slang! I know it should be failures :P

Penny's Pappa
10-05-2011, 11:17 AM
I once knew a girl who kept saying "substinance." You mean substance? Sustenance?? Subsistence???

Also, it's pronounced "asterISK" not "asterIX."

truly scrumptious
10-05-2011, 11:32 AM

Unless you're referring to the pal of Obelix, Vitalstatistix and Geriatrix! :tongue5:

Penny's Pappa
10-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Unless you're referring to the pal of Obelix, Vitalstatistix and Geriatrix! :tongue5:

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/5054/asterixk.jpg
Mais oui!

gatorsmom
10-05-2011, 12:57 PM
I had a neighbor who used to say warsh and melk, as in "I have to do the warsh and buy some melk.". Drove me nuts.

Oh, and another neighbor who insisted that men get "prostrate cancer.". She kept correcting me whenever I I told her about my uncle who was battling PROSTATE cancer. So frigging annoying. For goodness sake, I ought know, he was MY uncle.

KrisM
10-05-2011, 01:15 PM
I once knew a girl who kept saying "substinance." You mean substance? Sustenance?? Subsistence???

And not 'astrix' either.

Mine:

"ashphalt" instead of "asphalt"

"inneresting" for "interesting".

KLD313
10-05-2011, 01:35 PM
And not 'astrix' either.

Mine:

"inneresting" for "interesting".

My BF says ashphalt all the time (he's in construction) it drives me nuts. I've corrected him so many times that now I have to check myself before I say it because asphalt sounds wrong to me. Lol

lizzywednesday
10-05-2011, 03:52 PM
How about:

* "excetera" for "et cetera" (a.k.a. "etc.") ... it's two words and there is no "x", much like "espresso."

* "death" for "deaf" (I swear I have heard this; the sounds are aspirated in similar points in one's mouth - they're both fricative sounds, but /f/ is an labiodental (? I am trying to describe "made with lips & teeth) while /th/ is a linguodental (? describing "made with tongue and teeth")

* "all intents and purposes" but wrote "all intensive purposes."

I could probably go on, but these drive me up the wall.

lowrioh
10-05-2011, 04:02 PM
cent = singular
cents = plural.
It's not that hard.

truly scrumptious
10-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Ooo I have one!

Writing "should of" instead of "should HAVE", as in "He should of called last night."

Ugh.

momof2girls
10-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Ooo I have one!

Writing "should of" instead of "should HAVE", as in "He should of called last night."

Ugh.

:yeahthat: that I find SOOO annoying!

lizzywednesday
10-06-2011, 09:29 AM
Ooo I have one!

Ugh.

Not to one-up you, but I have a friend who writes "should have of"

octmom
10-06-2011, 03:06 PM

I have a colleague who says "supposingly" for supposedly. He uses the word often.

PunkyBoo
10-06-2011, 05:15 PM
DH says "We have to nip it in the BUTT" instead of bud. I've corrected him for years, but his way is funnier ;). To his credit, english was not his first language!

azazela
10-06-2011, 05:56 PM
I agree with everything above but here is one I haven't seen mentioned yet:

My dear, dear friend and coworker says that her eyes "swell up" when referring to tears in her eyes. She gets teary a lot so the word gets used all.the.time! I don't have the heart to correct her but it grates on my nerves so. :rolleye0014:

azazela
10-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Oh and since we're talking about non-words as well, my principal (I work at a high school) recently made "respectfullness" the word of the week for the high school staff and students. We all had a good, albeit stifled, laugh, students included. Seriously? Respectfullness?

edurnemk
10-06-2011, 06:45 PM
I also cringe and mutter under my breath when people mispronounce stuff, but the worst for me is a a coworker's pronunciation of Google. Every time she asks anyone to "go-go-le" something I have to bite my tongue. And she is so intolerant of other people's mistakes it's hard not to say something.

dcmom2b3
10-06-2011, 07:14 PM
I also cringe and mutter under my breath when people mispronounce stuff, but the worst for me is a a coworker's pronunciation of Google. Every time she asks anyone to "go-go-le" something I have to bite my tongue. And she is so intolerant of other people's mistakes it's hard not to say something.

DING!! Ladies and gentlemen, I believe we have a winner!!! Edurnemk, that's snort-my-coffee funny; I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face. :hysterical:

My faves come from my family: "stir-ing wheel" rather than "steering" wheel on my mom's part; "bumb," or "bum" rather than "bomb" on my dad's. It was my first lesson in linguistics, they seriously CANNOT hear the difference or pronounce these words properly.

MontrealMum
10-06-2011, 08:35 PM

"ash" phalt is a Canadianism. Like sche dule, not ske dule . DH says both all the time and they drive me bonkers.

Should of and could of rather than should have and could have...like nails on the chalkboard to me.

dogmom
10-09-2011, 10:56 PM
Apparently I'm the only one on this board that finds idiosyncratic pronunciations (or pernunciations) interesting and enjoy regional differences. Every time I here someone say "worsh" or drop a "to be" verb I think of home, and my Dad and his great Pittsburgh accent. I take it over some homogenized way of speaking that is as bland as the current top network sitcom. It makes me sad when I sad "creek" the other day and not "crik". I've already lost "pop" and "younz guys". I love how my kids say yogurt so when my friend from down South hears them on the phone she laughs and says, "they have a Massachusetts accent!"

lizzywednesday
10-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Oh and since we're talking about non-words as well, my principal (I work at a high school) recently made "respectfullness" the word of the week for the high school staff and students. We all had a good, albeit stifled, laugh, students included. Seriously? Respectfullness?

Wow.

One of my core company values is a word like that, but seeing as how anyone could Google my post while searching for it, it's probably be in poor form to post it.

lizzywednesday
10-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Apparently I'm the only one on this board that finds idiosyncratic pronunciations (or pernunciations) interesting and enjoy regional differences. Every time I here someone say "worsh" or drop a "to be" verb I think of home, and my Dad and his great Pittsburgh accent. I take it over some homogenized way of speaking that is as bland as the current top network sitcom. It makes me sad when I sad "creek" the other day and not "crik". I've already lost "pop" and "younz guys". I love how my kids say yogurt so when my friend from down South hears them on the phone she laughs and says, "they have a Massachusetts accent!"

Regional differences are one thing (stuff like "worsh" and "crick" for example, or "cawfee", which my BFF, who grew up in and around the South now pronounces like the rest of our northern NJ friends from high school much to the amusement of her TX coworkers; or the South Jersey/Philly pronunciation of the long "o" vowel that grates on my nerves so) but there are things that are just plain wrong and people genuinely cannot hear the difference - "death" for "deaf", "axe" for "ask", etc.

It's not that we're mocking, or that we don't appreciate the subtle ways that different regions' pronunciations make our aural landscape more colorful, it's that spoken language still has class connotations, despite the "lesson" of My Fair Lady (and, by extension, the Shaw play on which it's based) that the difference between a "guttersnipe" and a "lady" is not how she speaks but how she's spoken to.

When you're speaking to someone who's better educated (for example, a colleague or coworker, perceived as the same "class" as you yourself, that is to say "high" class) you have a certain class perception that's shattered each time they open their mouth and out come "low-class" pronunciations, you have to bite your tongue and shake your head.

At least that's how I've approached this thread; perhaps I'm also in the minority?

KLD313
10-10-2011, 10:56 AM
I have a cousin who says delicatessen when he means delicacy. Way more than a pronunciation issue and I don't get it.

Penny's Pappa
10-10-2011, 11:14 AM
What is a yute?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpNgONH2ncI

truly scrumptious
10-10-2011, 02:56 PM
What is a yute?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpNgONH2ncI

Omigod! I KNEW before I clicked the link that it would be My Cousin Vinny! Best.movie.ever.

My favorite line is "A sweet, innocent, doe-eyed, little deah!"

edurnemk
10-10-2011, 04:55 PM
DING!! Ladies and gentlemen, I believe we have a winner!!! Edurnemk, that's snort-my-coffee funny; I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face. :hysterical:

I knoooooowwwww!!!! Having to keep a straight face during meetings when she says that is just torture! I'm so glad I could take it off my chest here! :hysterical:

dogmom
10-10-2011, 05:49 PM
but there are things that are just plain wrong and people genuinely cannot hear the difference - "death" for "deaf", "axe" for "ask", etc.

It's not that we're mocking, or that we don't appreciate the subtle ways that different regions' pronunciations make our aural landscape more colorful, it's that spoken language still has class connotations, despite the "lesson" of My Fair Lady (and, by extension, the Shaw play on which it's based) that the difference between a "guttersnipe" and a "lady" is not how she speaks but how she's spoken to.

When you're speaking to someone who's better educated (for example, a colleague or coworker, perceived as the same "class" as you yourself, that is to say "high" class) you have a certain class perception that's shattered each time they open their mouth and out come "low-class" pronunciations, you have to bite your tongue and shake your head.

At least that's how I've approached this thread; perhaps I'm also in the minority?

Axe for ask is a cultural language phrasing, perhaps one your are not familiar or one that you don't give the same weight as that nice Southern drawl.

I'm still not getting it, somehow a person is less educated from their pronunciations even though you know otherwise? So what are you biting your tongue about, that they aren't fitting into your class perceptions? I know people who say things certain ways for just this reason, but I know some pretty odd people. Certainly there are occupations where loosing these things make a difference. And there are people that genuinely don't know the correct way to say a word and would appreciate being told. But yes, most of the tone of this long thread was rather mocking and a little mean. I get this is a bitching post, but maybe in the heat of bitching about how people talk some people got a little tone "death".

And, BTW, some people really can't hear the difference. I'm that way with some words. I think we all are to one extent or another, some people just have a tougher time at it. I realize that most people meant it in a light hearted way, but the number of posts sort of pushed it into a not so nice place, from my point of view.

MamaKath
10-10-2011, 07:27 PM
I understand. People here say crown instead of crayon. I have dealt with more tears when my kids were teeny and would be promised a crown only to get a cup of cruddy used crayons that they were going to give back at the end anyway!!! Annoying!!!

Where I am from in NJ there were pockets of areas with mispronunciations. Mainly because some areas completely drop the r's in certain words. Some is definitely regional, but some is not!

wellyes
10-10-2011, 08:07 PM
I agree that axe for ask can be a cultural thing. There are people who chose to use different pronunciations in different contexts. And that's OK.

But google is never go-go-le.

3blackcats
10-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Mine is from Disney World - Proper "Come on kids, let's go see Chip and Dale!" What do I normally hear parents saying "Come on kids, let's go see the Chippendales!"

Two Completely Different Things!