PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy the Duet and need lightweight umbrella

rachelf
10-03-2011, 10:23 PM
My son is 2.5 and the next baby is due in 2 weeks. I own a BJCM that has been my only stroller for the last 2.5 years. I live in NYC and do a lot of walking but also a lot of bus traveling. I've decided to get the Duet for our double and want to know which is the best retailer to get it from--online or brick & mortar.

I also want to get a cheap, lightweight umbrella stroller for the bus. I'm considering the Starck or the G-Lite but will gladly take other suggestions. Need it to be truly lightweight (which rules out the Blink) and I'd like it to be under $100 if possible.

Many thanks.

Multimama
10-03-2011, 10:26 PM
I also want to get a cheap, lightweight umbrella stroller for the bus. I'm considering the Starck or the G-Lite but will gladly take other suggestions. Need it to be truly lightweight (which rules out the Blink) and I'd like it to be under $100 if possible.

Is this for your 2 year old because neither of those recline. The Starck also weighs about 13 lbs, so it may not qualify as truly lightweight. The Volo is the lightest Maclaren, but like the G-lite it has very wimpy wheels.

Sorry, no advice on the Duet, but I hope you enjoy it!

rachelf
10-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Yes this is for the 2.5 year old although it would be nice to be able to use it for the infant sometime down the road. 13lbs is ok, I think. Just looking for something lighter than the BJCM.

Multimama
10-03-2011, 10:32 PM
Yes this is for the 2.5 year old although it would be nice to be able to use it for the infant sometime down the road. 13lbs is ok, I think. Just looking for something lighter than the BJCM.

Well, I love my Starck so that seems like a good choice. You might also consider the G-luxe. It is a lot more fully featured than the G-lite (with bigger wheels), but still only weighs something like 11 lbs.

LivsMum
10-04-2011, 10:32 AM
What about a Maclaren Triumph? They're well priced on ebay.

I too am looking for the perfect lightweight stroller. Have had a Quest & a Triumph but am still looking. I like the features of the Cybex Onxy but it's not lightweight.

May take another look at the G-Luxe.

arivecchi
10-04-2011, 10:36 AM
What about a Maclaren Triumph? They're well priced on ebay.
:yeahthat:

We had a Triumph for over 4 years and we live in the city as well. It is so fabulous for public transportation and city living. Lightweight, durable and my kids loved it.

mecawa
10-04-2011, 10:40 AM
I'm going to rec. the Triumph too. We've had ours for 7 years, and it is used daily, and is great to travel with!!!!

legaleagle
10-04-2011, 10:43 AM
I would anti-recommend the starck for the bus simply because it has a carry handle rather than the carry strap of the g-luxe and the triumph.

Multimama
10-04-2011, 10:47 AM
I would anti-recommend the starck for the bus simply because it has a carry handle rather than the carry strap of the g-luxe and the triumph.

You like the carry strap better? I find them super annoying and never used mine on the Blink. I much prefer the carry handle. Plus for travel the Starck comes with an awesome travel bag!

But OP the G-luxe or Triumph might be a better choice as you'll be able to use it for your youngest sooner.

legaleagle
10-04-2011, 10:54 AM
Well, I'm not the most graceful of people but I can imagine taking out several passengers swinging the starck around by the handle while simultaneously wrangling 2 kids. Of course, I never actually take the bus myself.

I do *heart* the starck a ton, but between the handle, the slightly heavier weight and the length it wouldn't be my first choice for regular PT use.

Multimama
10-04-2011, 10:56 AM
Well, I'm not the most graceful of people but I can imagine taking out several passengers swinging the starck around by the handle while simultaneously wrangling 2 kids. Of course, I never actually take the bus myself.

I do *heart* the starck a ton, but between the handle, the slightly heavier weight and the length it wouldn't be my first choice for regular PT use.

Yeah, FWIW the Micralite Fastfold Superlite is our regular PT stroller. I :heartbeat: that stroller. Sometimes i wonder how I've had so many strollers, but at least I eventually found the absolute best stroller for our needs. :)

rachelf
10-05-2011, 11:05 AM
Thanks folks. Will look into a CL Triumph. Any suggestions on where to purchase the Duet?