PDA

View Full Version : Another dollhouse thread- Fisher Price Loving Family Dollhouse

happymom
10-03-2011, 11:37 PM
I would like to buy DD (almost 3) a dollhouse- she loves the one at preschool. Is this the dollhouse everyone keeps referring to-
http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-LOVING-FAMILY-Classic-Dollhouse/dp/B0000936KZ/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1317699203&sr=8-25

Is $100 the standard price for it, or should I be waiting for a better deal? Also, do you really by all the furniture one little set at a time? It seems like it could get really expensive? I would love a dollhouse that at least came with the basics to start out with.

lalasmama
10-04-2011, 12:22 AM
DD got the Loving Family Twin Fun dollhouse around 4 years old. We bought the house, but didn't buy all the room sets. The room sets have been given room by room for different things. I think she got 3 rooms (maybe 4) that Christmas that she got the dollhouse. And then 2 more rooms for her birthday. And her auntie gave her a set or two as well.

I think we paid $60 for the house and the furniture that came with t6he most basic $60 house (I think it was a patio set and a dining room).

FWIW, in years past, TRU runs a BOGOfree on Black Friday. That's saved us a TON of money :)

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Loving-Family-Grand-Dollhouse/dp/B0015KSSTY/ref=sr_1_3?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1317702381&sr=1-3 That's the one we have--The Grand Dollhouse. It looks bigger than the one you linked to, and less expensive! DD's now 7.5 and this still gets played with weekly.

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Loving-FamilyTM-Dollhouse-Caucasian/dp/B002SNIK4U/ref=pd_sbs_t2 Here's the above house, with a few extra sets of furniture, for under $100 :) But no free shipping :(

wellyes
10-04-2011, 12:31 AM
That's actually a pretty old model! I recognize it because I picked it up at a consignment sale last week for $15.

I think what you want is this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fisher-Price-Loving-Grand-Dollhouse/10298112 It comes with a family and a little bit of furniture. And yeah, additional furniture is a racket.

But for a 2/3 year old, I'd probably get this: http://www.amazon.com/Calico-Critters-Cozy-Cottage-Starter/dp/B002QBDW60/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1317702579&sr=1-1 It's a complete house, the right size for little hands, and cheap enough that you'll be fine moving up to whatever big/wooden/fancy dollhouse she'll beg for when she's 4.

happymom
10-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Thank wellyes!

What about this Little People dollhouse:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001W09LO8/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00008ZCEF&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=189S2Z75Q36KV568GX5G

Does anyone know if thats a decent choice for my almost 3 yr old?

happymom
10-04-2011, 06:22 PM
DD got the Loving Family Twin Fun dollhouse around 4 years old. We bought the house, but didn't buy all the room sets. The room sets have been given room by room for different things. I think she got 3 rooms (maybe 4) that Christmas that she got the dollhouse. And then 2 more rooms for her birthday. And her auntie gave her a set or two as well.

I think we paid $60 for the house and the furniture that came with t6he most basic $60 house (I think it was a patio set and a dining room).

FWIW, in years past, TRU runs a BOGOfree on Black Friday. That's saved us a TON of money :)

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Loving-Family-Grand-Dollhouse/dp/B0015KSSTY/ref=sr_1_3?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1317702381&sr=1-3 That's the one we have--The Grand Dollhouse. It looks bigger than the one you linked to, and less expensive! DD's now 7.5 and this still gets played with weekly.

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Loving-FamilyTM-Dollhouse-Caucasian/dp/B002SNIK4U/ref=pd_sbs_t2 Here's the above house, with a few extra sets of furniture, for under $100 :) But no free shipping :(

Thanks! Good to know about the BOGO. I think I am going to wait on this purchase...maybe even wait till she turns 4. In the meantime, I'll look for something smaller.

traciann
10-04-2011, 07:11 PM
Thanks! Good to know about the BOGO. I think I am going to wait on this purchase...maybe even wait till she turns 4. In the meantime, I'll look for something smaller.

I actually think 3 is the perfect age for the Loving Family dollhouse. I got a used one with a ton of furniture off craigslist and my 3 year old loved it. It lasted a couple of years and it broke (it was an older model) and I replaced it with the current dollhouse and my 2 year loves it now as much as my six year old. It really has received alot of play over the last 3 years.

If you were buying now I think the nursery, and the everything for baby rooms are a must and the other ones can be added on over time.

lalasmama
10-04-2011, 09:07 PM
I actually think 3 is the perfect age for the Loving Family dollhouse. I got a used one with a ton of furniture off craigslist and my 3 year old loved it. It lasted a couple of years and it broke (it was an older model) and I replaced it with the current dollhouse and my 2 year loves it now as much as my six year old. It really has received alot of play over the last 3 years.

If you were buying now I think the nursery, and the everything for baby rooms are a must and the other ones can be added on over time.

:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat:

Three is the PERFECT age, I think. At that time, DD still liked her Little People house, but when she got the big one, she couldn't care less about the LP one anymore. And the big one still gets played with at 7.5yo, and her 9yo cousin!... as well as her now-5yo best buddy. It seems to be the "go-to" toy for most kids when they come over, and has been the whole time!

FP also has a My First Dollhouse, with chunkier pieces, but not as chunky as the LP ones, if that makes sense. But I'd still TOTALLY go for the big dollhouse this year, if it's in your budget.

(I'll fully admit that I also like the fact that mom and dad and baby are well proportioned, and soooo pleased that DD hasn't wanted a Barbie dollhouse yet, since she thinks her FP dollhouse is so great!)

elephantmeg
10-04-2011, 09:15 PM
the my first dollhouse gets NO love here.

egoldber
10-04-2011, 09:18 PM
You definitely want the bigger dollhouse at age 3. The Loving Family dollhouse (we have one even older than the one you originally posted) has been one of the the single best toys I ever purchased for my kids. Ever.

wellyes
10-04-2011, 09:18 PM
Tonight my 3.5 year old played with her FP dollhouse by herself from 6:30-8:00. Would have longer if I didn't make her go to bed. It's delightful for her and us too!!

Don't worry about having all the furniture and the proper accessories. DD has 2 mismatched beds and a couch. Her dolls tonight were a mix of calico critters, Disney princess figurines, a plastic tiger and some Papo knights. They had several adventures, put each other to bed (a lot of shushing) and argued about who got to go to the dentist next. I almost think having the actual dollhouse set would impair her imagination.

KrystalS
10-04-2011, 09:23 PM
You will not regret purchasing The Loving Family Dollhouse. I bought it for my DD when she was 3. She is now 7 and still plays with it. We bought the sets for Christmas and birthdays. Now they have all new sets and DD always wants them when we see them at the store!

DD uses the dollhouse with her Littlest Pet Shop and her Playmobil.

happymom
10-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Thank you everyone! Based on what you are all saying, I will definitely go for the bigger dollhouse. I am going to wait and give it to her as a 3rd birthday present in December, and since grandparents are always looking for gift ideas, I can ask them to get a couple sets of furniture. Although I agree with you wellyes, she probably doesnt even need the matching sets specifically!

Now I have to figure out which big toy is going to be moved into storage to make room for this...we have limited space! I think I may have to move the L&L Home out, at least temporarily.

Thanks again for all your input!

zag95
10-04-2011, 11:05 PM
Tonight my 3.5 year old played with her FP dollhouse by herself from 6:30-8:00. Would have longer if I didn't make her go to bed. It's delightful for her and us too!!

Don't worry about having all the furniture and the proper accessories. DD has 2 mismatched beds and a couch. Her dolls tonight were a mix of calico critters, Disney princess figurines, a plastic tiger and some Papo knights. They had several adventures, put each other to bed (a lot of shushing) and argued about who got to go to the dentist next. I almost think having the actual dollhouse set would impair her imagination.
:yeahthat: DD will be 4 at the end of January. She got the dollhouse from her gagas (grandparents) last Christmas (2010) along with a few furniture sets. It has been played with so much- and other friends play there too- we have a few playmobil friends that live in the attic of the dollhouse (Flowers in the Attic?!!) and a couple of dollar store mermaids that occasionally come to visit. Along with some little pet shop characters who also stop by......the dollhouse hosts frequent visitors and has several room and furniture layouts/staging events.

I would get the dollhouse for Christmas if you can swing it- it will be a hit!

AngelaS
10-05-2011, 08:23 AM
I bought my oldest the Loving Family dollhouse when she turned three and we still have it. Her younger sisters play with it now and love it so much that when I found the loving family townhouse at a garage sale, I bought it and tons of it's accessories for $15, I bought it too. My girls love them. :)