PDA

View Full Version : What comes after Board Books?

PMJ
10-04-2011, 12:57 AM
DC will be turning 2.... I'm not sure if I should invest in some more "Board Books" this bday and Xmas, or if I should get some other books? (that she can grow into). Do kids get bored of BB after a certain age?

Thanks!!

bw52
10-04-2011, 01:43 AM
Mine did. She has all sorts of books and reads the others a lot more than board books now. Plus, I think regular children's stories are more fun to read to her a billion times. They have more of a story line and we have more to talk about. And she'll "read" them on her own.

mum-to-be
10-04-2011, 01:57 AM
Get her some Richard Scarry books - they will be well received, I'm sure! eg http://www.amazon.com/Richard-Scarrys-Favorite-Storybook-Picture/dp/0375825495/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1317707535&sr=8-10

My son also loved the following books at age 2-3:
-Nobody Notices Minerva http://www.amazon.com/Nobody-Notices-Minerva-Wednesday-Kirwan/dp/1402747284/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1317707586&sr=1-4
-Olivia http://www.amazon.com/Olivia-Ian-Falconer/dp/0689829531/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1317707609&sr=1-1
- Hattie Hippo http://www.amazon.com/Hattie-Hippo-Christine-Loomis/dp/0439543401/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1317707655&sr=1-1

The library is your friend now! Use it!

I guess they move from board books to story books. DD likes board books and having read both, hers are very much about identifying animals etc and learning basic facts, whereas DS's books are stories, often with humor that appeals to that age, lessons that are applicable to that age, and lately factual eg books about trains and the history of them, factual dinosaur books, animal books.

elephantmeg
10-04-2011, 04:34 AM
we moved from board books to slightly longer books-which seemed SOOO long at first. Curious george we started around 2ish. Little critter (mercer myer), bernstain bears and all the other thin paperbacks floating around places around 3 maybe? Or when DD was 2.5? I forget. We've been reading them a while. Oh and don't forget the golden books-they even have some of the classics back. My parents roll their eyes at DD's favorites "Nurse Nancy" and "Little Mommy" as they are so dated but cute! She has them memorized. She also liked books that went with shows she liked (biscuit, Curious george, cailloo-we found lots of those at the library). And small bits of Dr Suess went well at the early stages too (but the whole books were too long). Now we're branching into chapter books with DS but DH thinks they are too long. But I loooooooove to read outloud and he doesn't.

Momit
10-04-2011, 09:11 AM
We started getting away from board books when DS was 2. I was concerned that he would be too rough with regular books but it has been fine.

We've been using the library a lot since getting away from board books in the 2's!

Also paperbacks like the If You Give a Pig a Pancake series, just about any Scholastic ones (teacher friend gives us TONS) and hardcovers like Dr. Seuss, Eric Carle, Curious George, How I Became a Pirate and Circus Ship (both recommended here), Make Way for Ducklings. DS also really likes the Laura/Jenna Bush one and the Barack Obama one - he obviously hasn't chosen political sides yet!

He has a few favorite board books he still pulls out, but not too often.

overcome
10-04-2011, 09:21 AM
We read board books until at least 4...we have many that are regular stories, not all just concept books. We still read some special holiday ones now!

DD is going to be six this week, and I just CANNOT give up the board books. I don't know what I'll do. Maybe I should just box them up and put them in the attic bc I can't give them away/sell them.

I have a board book problem. Its weird to adore boardbooks :p

Melaine
10-04-2011, 09:26 AM
My kids still sometimes pick up the board books and I am glad I kept them now that #3 will be coming along. But around that age they definitely started wanting to read longer books like Goodnight Moon, Laura Numeroff books (if you take a mouse to school, etc.), Dr. Suess, Curious George (that took off around 3 and has been a big favorite since), etc. I definitely think it's a good age to start checking books out at the library to see what is a favorite.

vonfirmath
10-04-2011, 10:22 AM
DC will be turning 2.... I'm not sure if I should invest in some more "Board Books" this bday and Xmas, or if I should get some other books? (that she can grow into). Do kids get bored of BB after a certain age?

Thanks!!

depends on the kid.
My son is 4 now. He really "weaned off" of board books during the past year. We read mostly picture books now. Though I still have to be careful how many words are on a page. Board books are good for HIM to read now. He will read them to me (and he still has me read his favorites -- Mike Mulligan and his steam shovel is one of those)