PDA

View Full Version : Plaase explain DAN

HIU8
10-04-2011, 10:35 AM
My local board is DAN heavy. In other words, whenever anyone posts on the SN section they get a HUGE number of posts that say you need to take your child to a DAN. Then you get ppl who think those folks are nuts and call them on it and a fight of some sort starts with name calling etc... (gotta love that board). Anyway, so what is a DAN? Who goes to a DAN?

JTsMom
10-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Until someone chimes in with a better response, my understanding is that DAN!= Defeat Autism Now, and it's a natural approach to (I believe that this is the correct terminology) curing autism through ridding the body of certain types of toxicity- like heavy metals and yeast overgrowth. I know chelation is one approach to that, and certain supplements are also used.

Chelation is controversial, and of course, so is the idea that autism can be cured at all.

That's about the extent of my knowledge on the subject though, so take it for what it's worth.

HIU8
10-04-2011, 11:28 AM
I just got a few emails begging me to take my DS to a DAN! and that they will see all sorts of kids. I posted a question about suppliments. It's like I got bombarded. Now I'm waiting for the DAN! police to come out with insults to the DAN! promoters.

JTsMom
10-04-2011, 11:35 AM
You're going to have to hide out here all day until the brawl is over! ;)

egoldber
10-04-2011, 11:40 AM
If it's the place I think you mean, IMO there are a couple of super pro-DAN posters who always post about it. And there are a couple of super anti-DAN posters who always post that. I really think it's the same few people all the time.

HIU8
10-04-2011, 11:48 AM
I believe it is. I'm off to look at CHADD to see if they have any info about suppliments. I'm also calling KK to leave a message for the devel ped to discuss supplements and bring up meds again.

mytwosons
10-04-2011, 04:00 PM
There are a wide range of DAN (Defeat Autism Now) doctors. Some advocate for a completely natural approach and others do prescribe drugs. I think they all agree that the symptoms of autism can be addressed through improving various aspects of health.

HIU8
10-04-2011, 04:31 PM
My DS has ADHD. Is it worth me looking into a DAN doctor? We currently see a developmental ped.

Pepper
10-04-2011, 07:48 PM
Hehe...chuckling a bit, b/c on the cleft palate board that I read, the same thing happens WRT bone morphogeneic protein (BMP) vs. traditional bone graft. People have VERY strong opinions and are not shy about expressing them :-)

FWIW I'm a molecular biologist by training, and I'm generally yay for medication. But I don't cast aspersions on anyone for trying supplements either...we all know our kids best, and who am I to tell someone what works best for their child?

I didn't know that DAN doctors would see ADHD kids. DS1 finally has an ADHD diagnosis and we're trying out Ritalin. For me, the thing that made the decision to try meds was when I sat at an IEP meeting in his preschool and I said, so what you're saying is, here's the normal curve [gestured in the air with my hand] and DS1 is out here [pointed to a spot waaaay out to the right] and they all said YES. So far it seems to help him at kindergarten though we still have LOTS of challenges at home. I interpret that to mean that there are probably other things going on - mood disorder, anxiety, etc.

I never tried a diet/supplement approach because DS1 has been a really great eater all his life. I am a stay-at-home mom and like to cook, so he never had a lot of processed foods (and I'm assuming that his birthmom didn't either, she was probably eating lots of kimchi and rice). I've been buying organic/local/pasture-raised meat and veg for several years, and i've never noticed a difference in his behavior symptoms that seemed to correlate with what he ate. But again, that doesn't mean that I think it doesn't happen to other kids; I just have a hard time believing that in DS1's case, it could all be attributed to a problem with diet (or something lacking therein).

HIU8
10-04-2011, 08:37 PM
So far I've seen a change in DS when we removed dyes. I have not changed any other aspect of his diet. I am making another appt with the DP to discuss meds. Plus, I wanted to try supplements at the same time. I don't know if that is a good idea or not (to do both). My feeling is whatever works for DS (and I assumed an approach from all sides would be best, but I have no idea). All I know is that DS has stated that he can't control himself at times and dislikes the feeling (so I know I have to be much more proactive with his treatment).

mytwosons
10-04-2011, 08:57 PM
My DS has ADHD. Is it worth me looking into a DAN doctor? We currently see a developmental ped.

Well, I think so, but I think a lot of these problems can be tied to food intolerances, yeast over growth, bad gut bugs, etc.

Gena
10-04-2011, 10:11 PM
We don't do DAN! (the exclamation point is part of the name). We do some biomedical stuff, such as vitamin and mineral supplements. But we do not do special diets or chelation. We also use a lot of behavioral therapy techniques and we are not anti-medication.

As of the end of this year, the Autism Research Institute will no longer maintain or publish a registry of DAN! doctors or distribute the DAN! Protocol. They will still encourage the use of biomedical strategies.

In the past, DAN! has been very controversial and polarizing in the autism community. Historically, DAN! Has viewed autism as an immune disorder caused by environmental toxins (inclusion vaccines) and that could be "cured" by diet, chelation, supplements, and other biomedical interventions. Other segments of the autism community viewed autism as a neurological disored to be treated with therapy and medication. There are still many people who hold strong views one way or another. But IME these days it is more common for people to find a middle ground and to view multiple approaches as helpful.

HIU8
10-05-2011, 10:06 AM
That's sort of where I am. I want to take an approach that incorporates pieces of whatever works for DS basically. FWIW, I do not believe DS can be "cured" of ADHD, but I do believe we can teach him how to manage himself (with the use of meds, behavior therapy and suppliments). Off to make the call to the devel ped to discuss....

JTsMom
10-08-2011, 08:26 AM
So far I've seen a change in DS when we removed dyes. I have not changed any other aspect of his diet. I am making another appt with the DP to discuss meds. Plus, I wanted to try supplements at the same time. I don't know if that is a good idea or not (to do both). My feeling is whatever works for DS (and I assumed an approach from all sides would be best, but I have no idea). All I know is that DS has stated that he can't control himself at times and dislikes the feeling (so I know I have to be much more proactive with his treatment).

I have the same "whatever helps" approach, as long as benefits outweigh the risks. In the past, I've tried multiple new things at once, just desperate to see some positive effects, but now I'm changing my approach and trying to alter one thing at a time b/c in the past, it was always a guessing game as to what worked, and what didn't. All of these things have some "cost" factor, whether it's a monetary cost, a time cost, a convenience cost, etc., so I don't want to do things that don't really help- does that make sense? If you start meds and supplements at the same time, you won't know which you're seeing effects from, whether they are positive or negative.

Depending on your own thoughts of which has the higher risk/benefit, I'd start with the thing that has the best ratio, give it some time, then tinker with it as necessary. Of course, some things have some positive effect, but not enough to be THE answer, but then you know to keep that first thing, but add to it.

HIU8
10-08-2011, 09:50 PM
We decided to start with meds first. I'm still going to add supliments b/c they can only help, but first we are starting low dose meds to get some control over some of DS's biggest issues.

JTsMom
10-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Good luck! Let us know how it goes. I'm crossing my fingers for you.