PDA

View Full Version : play kitchen for 16 month old?

lec
10-04-2011, 11:09 AM
I've started thinking about what to get DD for Christmas. She will be a few days shy of 16 months. I was thinking about a play kitchen but have no idea if she is too young. Thoughts?

I've have seen the Ikea one (which isn't bad) but I like this Kidkraft (http://www.amazon.com/KidKraft-53208-Vintage-Kitchen-White/dp/B004A2QTRC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1317740773&sr=8-3) one a little better especially since its on sale for the same price. If you have one do you prefer the wooden kitchens to the plastic ones?

weech
10-04-2011, 11:26 AM
We got that play kitchen (Kidkraft Vintage in White) for our DS when he was about 16 months old. We love it. Initially, DS just loved opening and closing the cabinets and talking on the phone. The other day, though, he walked over to the kitchen, said "Cook! Cook!" and turned on the burners, then he walked into our real kitchen, grabbed some measuring spoons and put his felt vegetables in the play kitchen sink. Then he pretended to eat some of his food and said "nom nom nom!" :hysterical: He's 18 months!

brittone2
10-04-2011, 03:18 PM
IME, as long as you are okay with them growing into it, that's a fine age for getting a play kitchen.

We were moving when DS1 was about 15 months and had all of his toys pretty much packed. We found a curbside little MDF kitchen and gave that to him for something to play with before the move. He loved it. Opening, closing, turning the faucets, etc. It wasn't really complex pretend play but he enjoyed it, a lot. That little kitchen ended up moving with us and I think we had it until he turned 3, when we upgraded to something from Elves and Angels.

DD started engaging in imaginative play very early (helped along by having an older sibling I think). I don't remember when she started playing w/ our play kitchen but it was before 18 months.

DS2 is 18 months and has been enjoying our play kitchen for a few weeks now (just brought it out for him). he turns the knobs, stirs food, says "mmmmm" and tries to serve us some. It isn't really advanced pretend play but he's capable of enjoying it for the 5 mins he'll attend to it ;)

If you are okay with knowing it will be "grown into" I don't think it is too early. It may not hold DC's attention for long yet, but it is a nice thing to have around.

acmom
10-18-2011, 04:50 PM
My 16 month old son loves our play kitchen and has for several months. He mostly opens and closes and moves food/dishes around and "stirs". He also delivers food to us. Our daughter (who is now 3) still loves the kitchen too and has since about 16 months. We have a wooden one (both pieces of the red and white Land of Nod one- I think they have discontinued it now) and are really happy we went with the wood. It lives in our own kitchen and isn't too ugly. I also like that it has tons of storage for the play food and dishes and is heavy so it doesn't slide on the wood floors when they play with it. I have friends who have plastic and say storage and sliding are issues for them.

Beth24
10-18-2011, 05:02 PM
My 15 month old DS just started playing with our Step2 plastic kitchen that we have had since my 13 year old was a toddler (talk about long lasting)...he loves it. He opens and closes all the doors, pretends to turn the faucet on and to eat all the food. The model we have has an oven, fridge and microwave and plenty of counter space so no storage issues.

katydid1971
10-18-2011, 08:20 PM
We gave DD her kitchen the Christmas she was 20 months old and she loved it instantly!!! It is a Kid Kraft Retro Pink kitchen. I also really like the step 2 kitchens. They aren't as clean looking as the Ikea one but they tend to have more stuff to do (buttons/dials/etc) which my kids like.

SnuggleBuggles
10-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Our Step2 Lifestyle Kitchen is going strong 8 years after we got it! I always wanted one with more realistic features and sound effects so that's why I picked the plastic over wood. Budget made a difference too though nowadays there are some affordable wood options.

Beth