PDA

View Full Version : Good building toys besides duplo magna tiles and unit blocks,,,

junebaby07
10-05-2011, 01:42 PM
I like the idea of getting my 4.5 and 2.5 yr old girls some new building toys for Christmas. We have duplo, magna tiles and unit blocks already and they are used a lot...

Excuse the iPad typing....

kristac
10-05-2011, 01:54 PM
citi blocks
connectagons
cardboard blocks
marble run
tree blocks
zoobs
superstructs

essnce629
10-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Pretty much everything kristac said!

junebaby07
10-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! Are any of these more recommended than others? I think I might steer away from the large cardboard blocks just due to storage

pakin
10-05-2011, 09:23 PM
How about Lincoln logs?

We have a few sets of Zoob. They seem to be a little tricky for younger kids to put together.

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005

Canna
10-05-2011, 10:27 PM
Tree blocks can mix in nicely with unit blocks, so your girls might like that. Wooden trains get play at our house mixed in with blocks. We have unit blocks and smaller Haba blocks and I find the smaller ones get played with more. Connectagons are nice but not a runaway hit at our house. We also have wedgits. You might also consider architectural blocks (Melissa and Doug make some as does Haba and Hearthsong sells some that are colorful http://www.hearthsong.com/Kings%2Dand%2DCastles%2DBlock%2DSet_p2654_S2003_D1 101_C2102.html). My older DD really enjoys engineering things out of Tinkertoys.

By far the biggest hit, played with daily at our house by my 3.5 and 6.5 y.o. DD's is magnatiles which you already have.

ett
10-05-2011, 10:46 PM
In addition to unit blocks, we have lots of smaller wooden blocks that the boys build together with their unit blocks. Haba has some really nice sets.

We have these Twig blocks, however, they have not been a hit with the boys.
http://www.fatbraintoys.com/toy_companies/fat_brain_toy_co/twig.cfm

elbenn
10-05-2011, 10:51 PM
Lincoln Logs and Tinkertoys

essnce629
10-05-2011, 11:05 PM
DS2 is 28 months and really likes playing with DS1's zoobs. He can't really build anything with them yet, but he can link them together and then adds a wheel (we have the car set) and calls it a car and is very proud of himself! We also have Connectegons and I think they're cool, but they also don't get much use. I've been dying to buy some Magnatiles for years, but DS1 was adament about not wanting any so I've been waiting for DS2 to turn 3 to get them! Wedgits are cool too and we have a large set of those as well.

mnosky1
10-08-2011, 05:08 PM
I absolutely love our wedgits. My girls are 5 years apart (now 3 and 8) and have both always enjoyed them - we got them when they were 1 and 6 I think. I found a starter set at a garage sale and have expanded it with a few more sets. It's really neat how they both use the sets differently. I like playing with them too and I like to use the cards and try and figure out how to build the set on the card, like a logic puzzle, my 3 year old tries to make castles, my 8 year old either uses the cards or balances things or makes new creations, they are just really neat. Even though we have a big set, they fit in a zippered bag and are good to take along (like to a relative that has no kids)

Simon
10-08-2011, 08:56 PM
K'Nex or Kid K'Nex
Waffle blocks
An Erector set
We had some giant mega blocks that built a life size castle for the kids to play in. That made for great winter indoor fun.
A vote for the cardboard blocks. I loved those as a kid and they are among my favorite memories.

Swirvin
10-11-2011, 03:56 AM
My kids LOVE these. They not only build with them but make roads/cities, pens for their toy animals, set them up domino style, etc. http://www.kapla.com/accueil_en.html

Kindra178
10-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Kapla (same thing as citiblocks)
Wedgits
Rokenboks
http://www.rokenbok.com/estore/construction

plain wooden unit blocks (we never have enough)

kristac
10-14-2011, 06:35 AM
Just got these (haven't had a chance to open them yet- they were a gift from the grandparents, but they look so fun!)

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?sku=18453738&utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=shopping

They remind me of these blocks that I've drooled over before:
http://www.thevillageblocksmith.com/

Will update after they get some play.

Seitvonzu
10-14-2011, 10:06 AM
kristac-- i LOVE those! (both the cheapy and of course the expensive ones...) please do let us know how the kids like them!

did your parents get them in the store? i always forget about bedbathandbeyond for "toys" (but always seem to have a coupon)

10-14-2011, 10:50 AM
kristac-- i LOVE those! (both the cheapy and of course the expensive ones...) please do let us know how the kids like them!

did your parents get them in the store? i always forget about bedbathandbeyond for "toys" (but always seem to have a coupon)

The village blocksmith was at an art festival near our house and my kids played with the castle blocks for about 90 minutes straight. They are beautiful and have a solid feel to them--definitely heirloom quality. I really regret not picking them up.

kristac
10-14-2011, 06:27 PM
Ok well the boys played with the blocks for about 2 hours straight so I would call them a hit. We got 2 sets (yes my parents picked them up in the store). They appear to be the same size (square is 1.5 inches) as the Village Blocksmith's version. I'm not sure what kind of wood they are- the box says "natural wood" with no toxins. Not as pretty as the the Village Blocksmith but for 1/5th the price I'm very pleased.

chozen
10-14-2011, 09:56 PM
Ok well the boys played with the blocks for about 2 hours straight so I would call them a hit. We got 2 sets (yes my parents picked them up in the store). They appear to be the same size (square is 1.5 inches) as the Village Blocksmith's version. I'm not sure what kind of wood they are- the box says "natural wood" with no toxins. Not as pretty as the the Village Blocksmith but for 1/5th the price I'm very pleased.

are you limited to just building the castle with these or can you build different things with them?

kristac
10-15-2011, 09:44 AM
are you limited to just building the castle with these or can you build different things with them?

They are pretty castle oriented. If you want something more open ended I'd suggest unit blocks.

That said the boys have been playing with them again all morning and have made a "crab", a town, roads, a "shark" and a few other things.

elbenn
10-15-2011, 09:47 AM
Kristac, those blocks from BBB are awesome and a great price. Can you find them in-store and use a coupon? Or alternately and preferably, can you buy them online with a coupon or free shipping? Did you buy one set or two?

ljackson
10-15-2011, 10:29 AM
Ok well the boys played with the blocks for about 2 hours straight so I would call them a hit. We got 2 sets (yes my parents picked them up in the store).

The blocks look great and I'll probably get some for DD, who is nearly 5. How old are your boys and what age do you think they are good for? It says for ages 4 and up but I am wondering whether DS, who will be nearly 2.5 at Christmas and has pretty good fine motor control, would play with them too. Do you think one set would be enough? At that price I am tempted to get 2 sets while I can.

kristac
10-15-2011, 02:33 PM
The blocks look great and I'll probably get some for DD, who is nearly 5. How old are your boys and what age do you think they are good for? It says for ages 4 and up but I am wondering whether DS, who will be nearly 2.5 at Christmas and has pretty good fine motor control, would play with them too. Do you think one set would be enough? At that price I am tempted to get 2 sets while I can.

My boys are 22 months, 4, and 6.5 years. The oldest obviously can build more elaborate things but the 4 year old is getting better quickly. The baby can stack them as well and is enjoying "cleaning them up". We have 2 sets. I would definately get 2 sets if you can, especially if you have more then one child playing with them.

Kristac, those blocks from BBB are awesome and a great price. Can you find them in-store and use a coupon? Or alternately and preferably, can you buy them online with a coupon or free shipping? Did you buy one set or two?

Yes they were in the store and you can use a coupon. We have 2 sets.

junebaby07
10-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the recommendations! I think I am going to pick up a set of the castle blocks at BBB since I just got a coupon. I may get a 2nd set later - getting started on the holiday shopping:)