PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about plaympbil

junebaby07
10-05-2011, 01:44 PM
I think my 4.5 yr old dd would like playmobil. Is there a set that is best for starting out. Will my 2 yr old be an issue w the size of the parts

kristac
10-05-2011, 01:56 PM
There are definately alot of tiny parts with playmobil so if your little one still eats things it will be an issue.

Not sure what set is best to start out. There are so many choices. What is your DC into?

Canna
10-05-2011, 11:50 PM
The take-along dollhouse or the take-along vet's office can be nice starter sets because they're pretty affordable, come with enough pieces to really have a good time playing with, and the pieces store inside the building.

Also, around the holidays Costco often gets sets at a good price. We got a horse themed set with a stable building a couple of years ago.

ETA: Yes, the pieces are tiny and chokable. Also the pieces are somewhat breakable (some snap apart into smaller pieces and can be reassembled, if left on the floor and stepped on, they may break). We keep them in my older DD's room.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
10-06-2011, 12:47 AM
some people like them but mostly i hear people complain

too many parts
you can never get them all picked up
it just becomes vacuum foder

KrystalS
10-06-2011, 08:30 AM
My DD loves Playmobil. There are a lot of little pieces but we keep everything on our play table. If your DCs play on the floor mostly then I see the vacuum problem.

My DD favorite sets are the animals, hospital, school, vehicles. I do not recommend getting the really big sets, they don't get a lot of play at my house. You can get the smaller accessory sets for much cheaper. We have LOTS of people, animals, and cars. DD mostly just sets up on the play table or in her dollhouse(not Playmobil).

I have a 1yo DS and he does put stuff in his mouth. He loves to play will the people and bikes though so I just keep a close eye on him. He is starting to learn not to put toys in his mouth so it would just depend on your DC.

cpapay
10-12-2011, 05:27 PM
We have a few sets but have found that DD prefers to build her own scenes. The camper was a hit.

crl
10-12-2011, 06:11 PM
I seem to be in the minority, but I HATE play mobile. Those pieces are ridiculously tiny. And there are lots of them.

Catherine

reneed
10-13-2011, 12:03 AM
I also HATE playmobile but i think it's because I have OCD. I have to see the toys all together the way they are supposed to be and DS could care less. Urgh

Simon
10-13-2011, 09:37 AM
We started Ds1 with a take along Castle set (knights, horses, catapult) around age 3.5. He enjoyed playing with it for a few months and I am sure, if I asked, would not want to give it away. But, once it went out of rotation (into the basement) he has never again asked for it. So, I don't think it was quite the hit that many people talk about.

A close friend gave her Ds (newly 4yo at the time) a few sets last Christmas and has been very disappointed with how little playtime they get. She thinks that they will likely get more as he gets a little older but is a bit sorry she didn't wait longer.

Both friend and I did end up putting away some of the smaller pieces that kept getting separated from the rest.

Seitvonzu
10-13-2011, 03:11 PM
i got the "take along dollhouse" before i even had a child-- it was something like 12.50 at a target sale and i COULD NOT RESIST. i'm crazy though...and sorta still a child myself ;)

do you have an advent calender or a nativity set yet? i might start with one of those things (the christmas post office is ADORABLE-- that's the new advent calender this year) we've been using the playmobil nativity for 2 years now (my child will just have turned 4 two days before christmas). she's always been good wtih it...the pieces bother me a little (i'm someone who likes sets to stay together and things to be "set up"), but it's not unbearable. do you think your child would like it? then go for it :)

we have the church/pavillion to go with all the random wedding sets too. that's our big "theme" here. i would agree that the buildings don't get as much use as the individual stuff... particularly the figures. i actually try to encourage the calico critters to use the pavillion/church so that those structures (which take up TONS of space) get more play. my child is just getting into that idea... cars really help (we have a loving family minivan and a calico critters car, playmobil firetruck....) typing this reminded me that we also have a playmobil car- i need to make that a christmas present :) cars to take the figures from place to place seems to really get my kiddo going imagination wise lately :)

KpbS
10-14-2011, 02:00 AM
I love playmobil!!! My DSs do too (6 and 3). DD loves to find the small pieces but we try to keep those swept away from her reach. I don't mind the pieces all over the house b/c I can identify them, ok, that's a helmet/coin/sword unlike legos and I have no clue which set they go to. So much open ended highly creative play is possible. Love it! :)

I agree w/ PP, start small and see if your DC enjoys it. Follow their interests and buy the small-med. sets. Much better bang for your buck.